Troubleshooting Stumbling / Hesitation issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have seen a lot of posts regarding this issue and very few solutions, so here goes my story / fix on my 1993 LC...

Note: This should apply to 1994 and earlier Toyota's with a VAF Meter (not a MAF Sensor).

Short Story:
Issue:
Hesitation / Stumbling whenever (could be cold, hot, city or hwy driving).
Did not kill the engine, just came down to idle for 20-30 seconds (sometimes less) and then started back up again like nothing every happened.
Occurred 1 / week at first, then over time occurred almost every trip.
No Codes, OBD1

Fix - connections inside VAF Meter.

The long - details:

Just over a year ago, I got my stock cruiser - ran great, slight stumble on my way home from purchase, but no biggie, it's 20+ years old - "that's normal, right"... Ran fine for a week or two, then over the next few months became more frequent. A few months later, it was daily, a few months later, it was nearly every trip - finally, I can start troubleshooting...

I checked a bunch of things, nothing worked. Downloaded the FSM (Thanks Mud!) and discovered there were 13+ associated systems contributing to hesitation Toyota wants you to diagnose - lol, what a joke. Internet searches turned up numerous forums/posts regarding the same thing, but no concrete solutions. Most posters were just never heard from again. Those who still had thier rigs said they just live with it (a year later). I figured the dealer would have some old timer around the shop, so I took it to camelback. They had it for a week, started by changing some fuel system related parts - no help. I took it back.

I decided I had to hunker down and dig deep to troubleshoot this, so I started a model based problem solving exercise and created an excel based punch list of every system to check. I covered nearly every sensor, input, and output to/from the ECU and monitored signals while wiggling wires and while driving. Since it was intermittent, I had to wait a day or so between results; so I hooked up 2 multi-meters simultaneously to cut troubleshooting time in half. I learned my truck intimately and replaced a few items that people suggested replacing on these forums when I was at my wits end and willing to try anything. Spent a solid 3-4 months troubleshooting this with my ECU hanging out everywhere I went, but finally found the culprit. Have 1000 miles on the odometer since the fix - yay!

Things dealer replaced:
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump resistor

Things I checked:
Almost everything Fuel, Air, and Spark and Emissions related.

Things I replaced when I got a strong lead from somewhere:
Fuel Pump
ECT Temp sensor
Both Oxygen Sensors

Real Fix:
Connections internal to VAF Meter were loose coming from the VAF meter bulkhead connector, (between the VAF and the wire harness).

Toyota incorporated a design as follows:
Imagine a prong sticking out, hovering over a PCB. There's a 1/8" gap to close. One might think to just solder the prong to the PCB (printed circuit board) One would be wrong. Instead, devise a thin piece of thin metal in a "z" shape to bridge the gap between the prong and the circuit board. This metal is soldered onto the prong (coming from the VAF meter bulkhead connector, between the engine wiring harness connector) but just "touching" the PCB of the VAF (at least in my particular case). What appears to have occurred is the "touch point" has corroded from 20+ years of micro amounts of voltage arcing.

Once the problem was persistent enough and was able to narrow down this specific location, I was lucky to have someone who was easy on the eyes hold the engine at 2500 rpm. Then moving the harness to the VAF caused the stumbling.
Note: There was no stumbling effect at idle, which is why this same check produced no ill result 4 months prior when done without an assistant (talk about awesome - being right there before).

This solution was just to bend the prongs down a bit to improve this connection. The future backup solution is to solder the prongs to the PCB if it occurs again (so far 1000+ miles and stI'll running great).

keywords: volume air flow meter, mass air flow sensor, maf, afm, oxygen sensor, 02, o2

VAF Meter issue.jpg

Last edited:
Is that picture taken pre-repair or post-repair? Can't really tell from the clarity of the picture but it looks like someone has done a previous repair. What was the condition of the cover you removed to access the wiring?

Pic was pre-repair. Someone was in there before, which is why there is RTV around the lip. There are 5 or 6 prongs from the VAF bulkhead connector, but I only bent down the ones that touch the PCB. I also cleaned the PCB with 92% IPA.

More specifically - remove bulkhead connector, bend pins down 1/8" or so, replace bulkhead connector.

You're my hero. I love a good rabbit hole story.

Awww shucks, thanks :bounce:

Nice work...

Kind of like my intermittent a/c control problems. But I need to tackle the root cause eventually.

@Convoy I have the same problems, Can you post a photo of the fix.

Unfortunately not really. It's all put back together and working good...

In the pic above, the "bulkhead connector" I refer to is the connector on the right, between the harness and the VAF Meter. You can disconnect the harness via a spring clip safely. You can also pry off the top cover of the VAF Meter relatively safely. From there, your model may vary, so your own risk, etc., etc.

Here's what I did: I then unscrewed the 2 Philips on the bulkhead connector and yanked it out (oooops moment). Either way, this led me to the fix in the 1st post above.

Thank you for actually posting tech in the 80's section and backing it with a logical diagnostics approach. Added bonus...key words with a scan-friendly thread title.

For you newbies, consider titling your threads with something more descriptive than, "anyone had this problem?"

Convoy...what yr 80 are you referencing above? I noticed specifically your phrasing of VAF which makes me think this might be a '94.
I've got same issues as you stated, in a '94 , additionaly I've lost 30% on mpgs. I wonder if you experienced and mpg loss too?
Thanks for this info...great work☑

Great, great write up, thank you! I feel I have a hiccup similar to this, but only once every few weeks, if not less regular. Still gives me something to think about and hold for future reference if it persists or worsens.

Convoy...what yr 80 are you referencing above? I noticed specifically your phrasing of VAF which makes me think this might be a '94.
I've got same issues as you stated, in a '94 , additionaly I've lost 30% on mpgs. I wonder if you experienced and mpg loss too?
Thanks for this info...great work☑

It's on a 1993 (original post updated) - same system as a 1994.

MPG - I checked it when I bought it - was in the neighborhood of 12mpg... :eek:
Then I have been modding monthly, so never checked again. My next mod is a yellow speed control box, then I plan to check again.

Great, great write up, thank you! I feel I have a hiccup similar to this, but only once every few weeks, if not less regular. Still gives me something to think about and hold for future reference if it persists or worsens.

Thank you!

Also, even though a couple extra parts were changed based on other people's experiences or suggestion (O2 and ECT sensors), I went ahead and did so because they play a large role in how the ECU calculates timing and injector pulse. Logic said even if no fix - they would help contribute to a better running motor in the end. It seems to have helped; it runs very smooth and strong now.

I have a very similar issue right now with my 94' LC. Except, it only does it when it reaches running temperature and when accelerating from a stop. I've replaced upstream right O2 sensor (will replace left today), fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, and air filter.
Considering replacing fuel pump and MAF sensor/entire unit.

Any reason you can think of that my rig is only stumbling/stuttering when it reaches temp?

Chasing this rabbit around for the last three weeks since I bought it on Craigslist.

I have a very similar issue right now with my 94' LC. Except, it only does it when it reaches running temperature and when accelerating from a stop. I've replaced upstream right O2 sensor (will replace left today), fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, and air filter.

Any reason you can think of that my rig is only stumbling/stuttering when it reaches temp?

Chasing this rabbit around for the last three weeks since I bought it on Craigslist.

I would start with measuring the TPS, VAF, and ECT sensor per the FSM after getting motor heated up.

Key learning: I did all my measurements by back probing from the ECU. Got this cool lititle pin probe kit (from ebay or Amazon), that helped with this significantly. Using a paper clip was giving shotty results. Back probing allows you to check the wiring and the sensor at the same time. If you find a problem you can then troubleshoot that circuit.

Also, the TPS and vaf are connected together. If you back probe from ECU, be sure to disconnect the one you are not trying to test, or you will get false results.

Last edited:

VAF. I had exact same symptoms.
V. A. F.

Is there soposed to be one less wire connectors on the plug that the VAF? I just motives mine is that way and I'm chasing start issues that is similar to the stumble issue

Is there soposed to be one less wire connectors on the plug that the VAF? I just motives mine is that way and I'm chasing start issues that is similar to the stumble issue

How many wires do you see on the plug?
How many connections do you see on the inside of your VAF?

Do you have the FSM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom