Trouble with the start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

New to my FJ and learning the ropes. Question: When I cold start my 40, it starts very quickly after 3 pumps of the gas or maybe a small use of the choke. If I drive it for a few miles and then stop and let it rest, it's actually pretty hard to restart it. I have to pump the gas and let it turn quite a few times before it starts.

Is this possibly a fuel line issue? Carb? Thoughts? Thanks!

Marcos

These things can be tricky to start after they sit while hot because fuel can siphon out of the idle circuit into the manifold causing an extremely rich condition. Next time it happens, put your gas pedal to the floor but DO NOT PUMP THE PEDAL. Then try to start it and obviously left your foot off the pedal on end it does.

DITTO

after warm up , not or little pump necessary , maybe only 1 pump ?

On a hot start push the gas pedal to the floor then crank, when it catches lift up on the gas pedal. You can try with 1 or 2 pumps. works everytime.

It's funny. Here I am, I bought this beautiful rig with all the original literature, and its amazing what you learn if you actually READ it ahaha. The information in the owners manual says EXACTLY what you guys said above.

This forum is the best!

funny how that works......there are original owners as well those of us that have been in to them long enough to remember being able to easily and cheaply purchase them as 2nd-3rd owners.

funny how that works......there are original owners as well those of us that have been in to them long enough to remember being able to easily and cheaply purchase them as 2nd-3rd owners.
Yeah....makes me wonder and think. It's amazing to me that these cost less than 10 grand brand new. And then there is what I paid for it ahahaha. But, I'm here for the long haul. I'm already looking for number two since I have two daughters and would like to give one to each one day.

Yeah....makes me wonder and think. It's amazing to me that these cost less than 10 grand brand new. And then there is what I paid for it ahahaha. But, I'm here for the long haul. I'm already looking for number two since I have two daughters and would like to give one to each one day.
$8K in 1975 is almost $40K in todays dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom