Trouble getting lifter out of 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cylinder 1 lifter is believed to be collapsed at the bottom where it meets the cam lobe. Looking for input on how to remove as it seems to be stuck. Will move freely until a certain point (about 3/4" exposed) and then will not move further. There's room to get channel locks etc. on it but no luck prying on it as there's not much leverage. If anyone has any tips on this that would be awesome. Pic attached for reference

IMG_5330.jpg

If you're not worried about saving it (which I assume is the case if it's collapsed) I'd say grab that sucker with a vise grip and give it a tug.

I'm curious though, if you're replacing one lifter, if all of them should be replaced. Seems like it'd be a smart idea....

2F lifters are solid - not hydraulic. They can't "collapse". If you really want to get it out to examine the rubbing surface, try rotating the engine a bit, Normally they come out easily with a magnet.

Why do you feel it is "Collapsed"?

Ended up getting it out by turning the lifter to where I could get a small punch inside and was able to get enough leverage on it to get it free. Bottom of the lifter is warped and that’s why it wouldn’t come out with a magnet (tried that first). Plan on replacing all lifters while we have it apart. Inspected cam lobes on that cylinder and no sign of damage, so just a bad lifter is all I’ve found. Going to put it back together and see what happens. Will post a pic of the lifter tomorrow if I remember. Thanks for the help guys

2F lifters are solid - not hydraulic. They can't "collapse". If you really want to get it out to examine the rubbing surface, try rotating the engine a bit, Normally they come out easily with a magnet.
Good call. I guess "collapsed" is the wrong term. I assumed he meant it got mushroomed out or something like the lobe had damaged it somehow.

I would pull all the lifters label in order and pull the camshaft and inspect it with a micrometer if the lifter is that bad the camshaft has to be damaged also.
Tommy

Make sure lifter bore is not scored.

Good call. I guess "collapsed" is the wrong term. I assumed he meant it got mushroomed out or something like the lobe had damaged it somehow.
Mushroomed is the term my brother used and that sounds like a more accurate description, not collapsed.

"inspecting" all the lobes of a camshaft while it is still in the engine sounds pretty iffy to me. I know that I would not assume that I would be able to accurately assess the condition and wear that way.

It is also doubtful in the extreme that a lifter has excessive wear while the matching lobe is undamaged.

2F cams have a bit of a reputation for wearing out.

New lifters on an old cam? Not how I would do it. Ever.

Mark...

Cam lobe looks a bit worn where that lifter got damaged so I'm replacing the Camshaft. Dealer says it's discontinued of course, does anybody have any leads on one? I don't want any kind of performance one, just one close to factory specs.

Search for threads with "camshaft" in the title in this section. I think the good one was started by tonkota..

I am doing this project on a customers fj60 long story but as far as the camshaft and lifters I sent them out to delta camshafts for refurbishment. Now as far as getting the camshaft out you need to pull radiator and condenser coil and also either remove core support or lift engine up enough in the front to pull the camshaft completely out or it will hit the core support.
Tommy

I've been using Delta Cams out of Seattle for at least 20 years now. Very pleased with their work. Worn lobes can be built back up and reground along with the rest of the shaft. They offer a stock grind and 2 or 3 higher performance grinds as well. Just send them your lifters and shaft . Their turnaround is fast too.

Mark...

I am doing this project on a customers fj60 long story but as far as the camshaft and lifters I sent them out to delta camshafts for refurbishment. Now as far as getting the camshaft out you need to pull radiator and condenser coil and also either remove core support or lift engine up enough in the front to pull the camshaft completely out or it will hit the core support.
Tommy
This info will come in handy for sure. Thanks!

I've been using Delta Cams out of Seattle for at least 20 years now. Very pleased with their work. Worn lobes can be built back up and reground along with the rest of the shaft. They offer a stock grind and 2 or 3 higher performance grinds as well. Just send them your lifters and shaft . Their turnaround is fast too.

Mark...
That's awesome they redo the lifters also. Do you remember about what they charged you?

I had the camshaft reground to their 262 grind and all lifters redone with shipping from Washington back to North Carolina was right around 155.00 cost me 65 to ship to them they were able to ship back to me for half of what i paid to ship out to them.
Tommy

I have some pvc pipe with end caps that I use for shipping the cams back and forth. Just toss a shop rag in each end and the cam is snug, padded and protected. no special tip for the lifters . Just a handy box usually.

Cost is Maybe $65ish for the cam regrind if there are no worn out lobes and $5ish each for the lifters. I'd have to go check receipts to be sure. It has been a couple years since the last set of cams that I sent them.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom