Trim Painting (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for the link on the touchup paint... I'm going to order some and also paint my trim as well...

I've got the Riverock Green Mica paint but am also blacking out other parts of my truck... Not sure how black trim will look against the green but was planning on black front and rear bumpers... hmmm

If anyone has pictures of Riverock Green Mica with a different color trim than factory please post pics... I may just go green like the rest of the truck on the trim...

How many cans did it take to paint the trim?

How many cans did it take to paint the trim?
I only needed one can but I would recommend buying two as it comes in really handy for other touch ups. Also recommend buying the pre-masked plastic roll that makes taping off the trim super fast and easy (just pick a day that isn't windy!)... Also remember to get the clear coat... Good luck - mine has held up for years and still looks good!

I only needed one can but I would recommend buying two as it comes in really handy for other touch ups. Also recommend buying the pre-masked plastic roll that makes taping off the trim super fast and easy (just pick a day that isn't windy!)... Also remember to get the clear coat... Good luck - mine has held up for years and still looks good!
Thanks for the advice

Finally got around to installing the M261 wrap on my trim. I cut the material into strips before installing then finished the ends with an xacto knife on the car. Completely satisfied with the results.

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

That looks really good @aging fleet
Any special tools needed besides a straight edge to cut the strips and an exacto knife? Any tips for someone who's never dealt with applying vinyl wrap?

That looks really good @aging fleet
Any special tools needed besides a straight edge to cut the strips and an exacto knife? Any tips for someone who's never dealt with applying vinyl wrap?

Thanks

No special tools, the material was like a big sticker. What was key was having a flat surface and a long straight edge to help keep my cuts in line (used the xacto knife for this). I used painters to secure the vinyl wrap to my work surface to keep it from moving around while measuring and cutting.

Finishing the ends on the car was the most challenging part for me. I cut the curves freehand, sometimes it went well and other times it didn't. Some advice n55luvr gave me, practice on the smaller pieces of trim to minimize waste.

Last edited:
Anyone know what 3M vinyl code to match the Light Greyish Beige Metallic on my LC,

The center section looks terrible and I would rather try the vinyl first.

I know the Toyota code is UCA46.

IMG_0476.JPG

Anyone know what 3M vinyl code to match the Light Greyish Beige Metallic on my LC,

The center section looks terrible and I would rather try the vinyl first.

I know the Toyota code is UCA46.

View attachment 1493755

I thought no matter what color your vehicle is the door guard is still the same 'grey'. I used 3M's M211 3M wrap like others on this thread. Look back at my post #242. I think it came out great. As a matter of fact it was recently torn most likely from anthers door, and since it's only tape it should make for an easy repair! Good luck!

Thanks man,

Amazon Prime and a week off have me really wanting to do something.

I'd rather not remove them and/or paint or spray anything if I can make the 3M look decent.

This is the 3m color chart, I'm not sure anything else would be worth a try.
really wish I had a local 3M rep with the color plates or samples to lay them against the trim to see real time.

3M color chart.png

Last edited:
Do people find matching paint colour to the main body of car on plastic trim,bumpers,moulding etc alot harder to match then steel panels especially white.

I think I might cancel my appt this week and try number M230 myself if I can find it on Amazon.

Just purchased my 5'x1' section for 13.99 shipped via Prime.
Also got OME cheap 809 count whatever micro fiber towels, I really need to find some good towels I can wash and reuse.

Give me till the end of the coming week and I should have one side tested and done.

I have new razors and my metal square for a true straight edge. Patience is key right?

IMG_1180.PNG

Last edited:
My post from the other thread so everyone can see what matches.

Well folks,

Turns out M230 Matte Grey Aluminum is absolutely fantastic on those mouldings that Toyota woul call color code UCA46, Light Greyish Beige Mettalic.

Wow I am tickled because I paid under 15 bucks and I'm doing it myself! :D

I did go pick up some brand-new X-Acto knife blades at the hobby shop a little while ago to help with the trimming.

Turns out that the sheet being 1'x5' works great. I cut barely over an 1-1/8" of which to test on the two front pieces because those are the short ones and I could sit down and go slow.

It's actually kind of nice because you can pull and if need be slightly stretch the vinyl as you slowly peel back the backing that covers the adhesive and you can form it into the corner where you need to and just take your time and slowly trim.

How about a before and after!

The slight line that you see on the after photo on the very front of the molding is a reflection.

img_0392-jpg.1500697

img_0393-jpg.1500699

Well folks,

Turns out M230 Matte Grey Aluminum is absolutely fantastic on those mouldings that Toyota woul call color code UCA46, Light Greyish Beige Mettalic.

I did go pick up some brand-new X-Acto knife blades at the hobby shop a little while ago to help with the trimming.

Turns out that the sheet being 1'x5' works great. I cut barely over an 1-1/8" of which to test on the two front pieces because those are the short ones and I could sit down and go slow.

It's actually kind of nice because you can pull and if need be slightly stretch the vinyl as you slowly peel back the backing that covers the adhesive and you can form it into the corner where you need to and just take your time and slowly trim.

The slight line that you see on the after photo on the very front of the molding is a reflection.

img_0392-jpg.1500697

img_0393-jpg.1500699

Looks great. Does this match the original color of the center stripe of the trim or does it match the outside color of the trim. Hard to tell the exact color on my monitor. I plasti dipped the center of my trim and it looks fine. Been looking at options for the outside.

It matches the outside portion a lot better, kind of blends it in I think.

Here is a better pic of the whole rig, after on top, before on bottom...

Note the very silver looking sections that were under the flares that were next to new, then look at the after pic and see it's all a nice color almost.

IMG_0683.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1399.PNG
Went w the 3M method to fixing faded center trim. Not bad at all, cutting edges was a lil difficult but all in all pretty easy.

Well folks,

img_0392-jpg.1500697

img_0393-jpg.1500699
How much of the trim did you have to purchase for all side panels around the car?

Well folks,

img_0392-jpg.1500697

img_0393-jpg.1500699
Also did you measure and cut on a board away from vehicle or did you try to overlay it cut w/wrap attached to vehicle? Thx for any info/recommendations. My order is in I am going to try this Wednesday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom