Transmission problem or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, in fact this is my first post. I bought an 80 Series (1996 4.2TD auto) recently and I'm loving it. Sure is a big upgrade after running an Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD and before that a Nissan Pathfinder 2.7TD. I went the 80 for the reliability and because I tow a caravan with all the family stuff up and down our beautiful country. In fact just returned from 1120kms Easter trip with the old 1967 retro caravan en tow.

Immediately after buying the 80 I had the trans flushed, filter replaced. It was just part of my routine buying a new truck to change the fluids, filters etc. I'm mechanically minded somewhat so I appreciate the benefits of maintaining my vehicles.

I've not driven the 80 much so this trip was getting to know it. I'd like to know if my auto transmission may need further attention, as it was always eager to drop from 4th to 2nd when towing up any reasonable incline. It was really hard to get it to utilise 3rd, about 1mm more throttle and it was down to 2nd and rpm up to 3100. It seemed best at about 2200/2400 rpm but it was hard to apply too much throttle down there without the trans dropping to 2nd. I felt like I was only able to apply 2/3 of the engines power. Hence we were down to 40/50kph up some of the hills, not what I expected from an 80.

It seemed similar on the upshift, when accelerating, not hard, it would run 1st, 2nd, then roll 3rd very briefly and into 4th.

Our caravan's not so heavy, circa 1400kg and some windage.

I wonder if there is some adjustment somewhere I need to make, or even if anybody can recommend somewhere in Auckland New Zealand who is expert with Landcruisers that I should take it to.

The other thing that's odd is the acellerator pedal. Everything from inch along to flat out seems to be in the first half of the travel. I've never been past half!

What do you guys think? Otherwise, it's great......

She's done 207kms. So just run in right!

Cheers, Pete

IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_7177.JPG

IMG_7216.JPG

EDIT: Just a quick check... are you running the A442f non-electronic transmission?

@IanB Helped me with a similar issue. In my case, my LC would want to shift very early and wouldn't want to downshift. His recommendation (and mine to you) would be to look at your transmission kickdown cable. Adjusting that made a big difference to me. The second issue is a little more tricky. To me, it sounds like your boost compensator might be misadjusted. Do you have a pyrometer on your rig? If so, what EGTs are you seeing? Also, what boost are you running? If your boost compensator is misadjusted, you can run through your entire fueling profile in the first half of your pedal travel. The key would be to have a boost guage and pyrometer to know, though.

A '96 would be the electronic A442F I would expect, but still a good idea to check and adjust your trans kickdown cable per the factory service manual specs, could explain your strange shifting behaviour. You will also have a TPS sensor on the injection pump that the trans uses to determine shift points, so you may want to check that it's still good, and properly adjusted as well. X2 on everything above, that's where I'd be starting on the trans and the engine power issues.

Thanks Lumpskie and IanB, very much appreciated. I'll do some research on these items. I will try and search the forum for info on the kickdown cable factory service settings. I guess this is a procedure to follow that hopefully I can do at home.

I don't have a turbo boost gauge or pyrometer (yet) but this will motivate me to get those. As I'm towing with the car, and usually reasonable distances 200kms minimum each way (and it's bloody hilly here) - to get to the nice spots with the family, it makes sense to monitor this.

Hey IanB, I notice you have a '99 E55 AMG. My toy (which actually I drive regularly at present due to the LC not fitting in my work basement car park) is a 2004 E55 AMG. Awesome machines! Great combo the LC and an E55, got both ends of the spectrum covered there.

There are links on the forum to download the factory service manuals, very good resources to have. You should be able to find most of them here:

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

My E55 is the NA 5.4L V8, yours will be the SC version of the same engine, a totally different animal I'm sure! And a rare one on the island I bet!

Yes, this is 5.5L supercharged hand built engine. Stock she's 'officially' 469hp but it's widely known that they were often closer to 500hp from the factory. I've had the cat converters cut out and a few other bits and it tuned at just over 500hp. Its fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom