Transmission and tranfer case boots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKC

Threads
OK, it's my 1964 , modified with a SBC, and floor mounted transfer case. I guess these came with a dash mounted transfer, I'm not sure if this was an aftermarket floor kit or an update with a factory setup.
Somewhere up the ownership line, the transmission hump was torched and cut to get this far. Now I'd like to seal it all up. Somewhere down the line I will probably move the engine forward a few inches, and get the HEI out of my firewall....
I've searched the site, but most everything is for factory pieces or later model humps, and I'm hoping someone has a fix that will save me from buying stuff that won't work.
I've already ordered a stock transfer case boot for '69 thru '72 because it looked like it would fit, and the shape/pattern is correct but it's too small for the stick to travel completely. The lever throw too great.
I've made a partial cover for the big hole, and can change the transmission shifter hole, but I'm in a holding pattern until I can see some better ideas.
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
floorplate3.JPG

floorplate4.JPG
floorplate2.JPG

floor plate1.JPG

That's pretty much all you can do. Re the t'fer stick, you could try a 4 speed boot from cityracerllc.com - it may have enough real estate.

Downey will hopefully chime in with more specific info but it looks like one of his 3 speed shifter covers on the trans for conversion from column shift to floor shift. The transfer case shifter is stock OEM parts for 3 speed trans converted from vacuum to floor. When you move the engine forward you'll need to bend the shift lever to clear the bottom of the front heater if you install it.

Here is a picture of The trans hump cover for my '73 I modified when I converted to a Chevy V-8, factory 3 spd and transfer case back in the mid 80's.

DSC00410.JPG

Bottom side.

DSC00412.JPG

My engine was positioned per the instruction that came with my Downey conversion parts.

Reactions: NKC
Could a plate from an FJ60 be easily modified to fit? It looks like FJ60 retainer rings and boots (inner and outer) for the transmission and transfer case would work fine.

When I installed a four speed in my 68 I used a 75/76 transmission hump. Really wasn't much work to modify. Few years back looked to see what it would look like with late 60 series boots. In the last picture the lower right the inspection cover from a 87 FJ60. If I was to use the later boots would probably graft the 60 series inspection cover into the transmission cover. The late model boots are are very nice and both have just as nice inner boot.
IMG_1735.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG

When I installed a four speed in my 68 I used a 75/76 transmission hump. Really wasn't much work to modify. Few years back looked to see what it would look like with late 60 series boots. In the last picture the lower right the inspection cover from a 87 FJ60. If I was to use the later boots would probably graft the 60 series inspection cover into the transmission cover. The late model boots are are very nice and both have just as nice inner boot.
View attachment 1627645 View attachment 1627647 View attachment 1627649 View attachment 1627650
That's why I mentioned it. I picked up a really nice complete set from another MUD member recently for my '71 FJ40. It has a later 4-speed FJ40 transmission hump and a 4-speed and transfer case from a '78 FJ55. I plan on swapping that out for an H41 from an HJ47 and a rear parking brake drum split transfer case from a BJ45. Should work fine. Will probably do the same upgrade to my '76 FJ40 with earlier H41 and 3-speed transfer case.

That's why I mentioned it. I picked up a really nice complete set from another MUD member recently for my '71 FJ40. It has a later 4-speed FJ40 transmission hump and a 4-speed and transfer case from a '78 FJ55. I plan on swapping that out for an H41 from an HJ47 and a rear parking brake drum split transfer case from a BJ45. Should work fine. Will probably do the same upgrade to my '76 FJ40 with earlier H41 and 3-speed transfer case.

On the 71 you can probably find a 60 series transfer case shift lever that will give you the angle your looking for on the later boot. Can't remember but think I tried to see if a 60 series transfer case shift lever would work on the one piece transfer case setup. Thought there was clearance issue.:hmm: This was a long time ago so maybe I was thinking of something else.:meh:

With all of the botched up transmission covers out there you have to wonder if the PO's ever heard of a tape measure, or knew how to make a template.

I mean, how hard can it be?! (That's a rhetorical comment)

Just an observation :meh:

On the 71 you can probably find a 60 series transfer case shift lever that will give you the angle your looking for on the later boot. Can't remember but think I tried to see if a 60 series transfer case shift lever would work on the one piece transfer case setup. Thought there was clearance issue.:hmm: This was a long time ago so maybe I was thinking of something else.:meh:
I'm pretty sure the transfer case shift lever I have came from the HJ47, along with the H41. I'll have to see how everything fits up when I swap out the transmission and transfer case.

I'm pretty sure the transfer case shift lever I have came from the HJ47, along with the H41. I'll have to see how everything fits up when I swap out the transmission and transfer case.

I have the transfer case shift lever from a 84 HJ47RV and 82 FJ40LV. Those are pretty much straight up and do not angle back to the boot. While the pictures I posted.are from a early four speed transfer setup it is the small angle as the four speed in all 40 series. The boss didn't move for the transfer pivot point on the four speed until after the end of the 40 series. I thinkit would look better with a 60 series that angle back to match the boot. Like I said not sure if the split case lever will work on the one piece transfer case like in your 76.

Lots of great info, thanks! I knew of the Downey adapter but hadn't figured out the three-on-the-tree to floor thing. Amazing how stuff becomes obvious only after you are informed! At least for me...
My engine is jammed up against the firewall.
Is the transfer shift hole there a stock shape for what year?

Yes it is the stock shape for a '73. When everything had to move forward because of the V-8 swap I cut out the original transfer case boot mounting flange and simply used it to position and cut the new opening. I then attached it under the aluminum to mount the original boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom