Transfer leak at speedo cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple pictures of the seal inside the speedometer drive housing, and the speedometer drive gear service kit contents and part number. This is a 6x18 service kit.

In the 33403-69065 speedometer driven gear service kit you get:

One speedometer drive gear housing external o-ring.

One speedometer drive gear housing bushing.

One speedometer drive gear housing internal o-ring.

One speedometer driven gear, 6x18.

Anyone know where/what the white felt is for? I didn't see it in previous descriptions.....maybe I missed it. I have one in my rebuild kit, but didn't find any reference. Thx. BTW, dental tool/hobby tool works great for getting the inside O-ring out.

Anyone know where/what the white felt is for? I didn't see it in previous descriptions.....maybe I missed it.

On some earlier applications, the felt was used at the end of the speedometer cable where it seats to the drive housing.....

Anyone know where/what the white felt is for? I didn't see it in previous descriptions.....maybe I missed it. I have one in my rebuild kit, but didn't find any reference.

It goes in here and the cable goes through it, IIRC:

attachment.php

speedometer cable leak

A couple pictures of the seal inside the speedometer drive housing, and the speedometer drive gear service kit contents and part number. This is a 6x18 service kit.

In the 33403-69065 speedometer driven gear service kit you get:

One speedometer drive gear housing external o-ring.

One speedometer drive gear housing bushing.

One speedometer drive gear housing internal o-ring.

One speedometer driven gear, 6x18.

bump for clarity
hi my speedo cable is leaking at the t-casse and this thread answers my question about what needs to be changed to correct it(o-rings), but can you tell me the purpose of the felt or is it just a dust seal? does anyone know the size or buna-n o-rings cross reference p/n so i can get them locally and today? btw its for a '67 fj40 3 speed t-case.
thanks

Last edited:
The first picture shows the speedometer drive housing in the rear seal housing of the transfer case and the tab that retains it. The second picture shows the speedometer drive gear and bushing being removed from the speedometer drive housing. The third picture shows the speedometer drive bushing being removed from the speedometer drive housing.

Is the retaining tab a separate piece from the housing? When I took off the 12 mm bolt, my tab just fell to the ground. How does it retain the housing as a separate piece? I thought it was part of the housing and that mine had broken off.

This the best info thread on these speedo seals, thanks @Poser!

The little o-ring fits snugly on my drive gear shaft, so it will spin with it as best I can tell. Is it then suppose to spin in that internal groove in the drive gear housing?

Disregard previous post @Poser, finally figured it out & found the old o-ring in the slot. New one in, a bit more resistance but I suspect that will subside. :clap:

Hey yall, I picked up this seal kit from city racer and it's slightly different than the one that came out of my truck. All I really need to know is which way to install the inner seal, it has a little compression spring on one end. I assume the spring faces out towards the cable but I home someone has some info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom