Transfer leak at speedo cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I have searched, https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=121722&highlight=speedy+sleeve

This is on my buddies 72 (Furpants) and we are going to fix it tomorrow. Neither of us has done this before so I want to be prepared.

Will a speedi-sleeve fix this? Or is this the output seal gone bad? The ONLY place the gear oil is leaking is from the speedometer cable.

Appreciate the help.
oil leak from speedo cable (2).jpg

See this <---- this is a link

Should take care of your issue.

There is no reason for a speedi-sleeve if the parking brake drum is not leaking oil.

:beer:

So that little bushing on the right will solve the problem? Where can one of those be found, will local parts store generic do the trick?

Thanks Poser.

So that little bushing on the right will solve the problem? Where can one of those be found, will local parts store generic do the trick?

Thanks Poser.

No.

There is a little o-ring seal inside that housing. Remove the bushing, and you will see the o-ring inside that housing.

Getting them out can be a pain. When I have the correct replacement piece, I soak the drive housing, without the plastic drive gear in the housing, in lacquer thinner and the o-ring swells and distorts and is easily removed from the housing.

Lube up the new o-ring and work it into the groove inside the housing.

I will see about taking some pictures of what I am talking about and posting them up here tomorrow.....
missing-oring.jpg

I am sorry but, bushings and housings, wtf? easily confused. I understand the O-ring has to come out of this thing, and back in with a new one.

How is this part removed? I have the fsm but can't seem to find any reference for removing this part. This is where the speedo cable screws in correct?
missing-oring.jpg

I am sorry but, bushings and housings, wtf? easily confused. I understand the O-ring has to come out of this thing, and back in with a new one.

How is this part removed? I have the fsm but can't seem to find any reference for removing this part. This is where the speedo cable screws in correct?

Remove the speedometer cable from the transfer case.

When that is out of the way, you will see a 12mm head bolt that is going through a retaining tab, holding that speedometer drive housing into the transfer case. Sometimes these are a real pain to get out of the housing. You may need to use a larger pry bar to pop that speedometer drive housing out of the transfer case.

After you pull out the speedometer drive gear from speedometer drive housing, (piece circled in red in the picture) you will find a plastic bushing inside the housing that will also need to be removed. After that is out, you can then look inside the housing and you will see the o-ring that needs to be replaced.

It will be very clear to you when the parts are in front of you.

Thank you Sir! May I have another!

Much appreciated Poser.:cheers:

I will take some pics of this R&R and post them up.

The first picture shows the speedometer drive housing in the rear seal housing of the transfer case and the tab that retains it.

The second picture shows the speedometer drive gear and bushing being removed from the speedometer drive housing.

The third picture shows the speedometer drive bushing being removed from the speedometer drive housing.
hsng01.jpg
speedo010.jpg
spedobush01.jpg

A couple pictures of the seal inside the speedometer drive housing, and the speedometer drive gear service kit contents and part number. This is a 6x18 service kit.

In the 33403-69065 speedometer driven gear service kit you get:

One speedometer drive gear housing external o-ring.

One speedometer drive gear housing bushing.

One speedometer drive gear housing internal o-ring.

One speedometer driven gear, 6x18.
spedeoseal02.jpg
spedseal.jpg
spedo01.jpg

turns out, the speedo wasn't screwed in all the way to start with.

Took it all apart like you post says, put on the new o-ring, the old one looked new but was replaced anyway.

put it all back together and no leak.:D Thanks Poser!

Now, of course, there is a leak at the 90 angle where the back of the e-brake meets the t/c. Looked at it real close, and there is a crack in the metal in the ebrake housing. That is where it is leaking from now. It probably was leaking from there before as well as the speedo cable but we just didn't see it, it is a very small crack.

Sooo.. we decided to jb it. I don't know if it will work, put two coats on but trying to get the area dry enough was tough. I can talk to him tonight to find out if is good to go or not.

Your thoughts are always welcome. Are there any other options besides getting a new parking brake assembly?

Are you saying this housing has a crack in it?

attachment.php

Or are you talking about the parking brake backing plate?

Ok-

That backing plate does not ‘seal’ anything. If you have oil leaking out from between where the parking brake backing plate attaches to the transfer case rear output seal housing, the seal in that housing is not keeping the oil in the transfer case.

The parking brake drum seal area could have a groove in it, or, your output seal could just be bad.

Again,

When you have the parking brake drum off and the parking brake backing plate removed you will see that the seal is the only thing that keeps oil in the transfer case in that area.

:beer:

How fast does it leak here? I've been chasing a leak in the transfer case and this is the only spot that I can see any sort of leak happening. I figure I'm loosing a pint or more in 150 miles. The parking brake is reasonably dry and it holds the truck even on relatively steep grades (I've already done the dual seal speedo housing).

I also get odd speedo behaviour which has me even more convinced that this is where the leak happens. Occasionally the speedo will read way high and then come back down into the realm of believability. Are the "O" rings included in the transfer rebuild gasket set or do I need the speedo rebuild set noted above?

What is the order of the felt washers on the speedo housing? There are a bunch in the transfer case gasket set but I can't imagine that they all go into the speedo drive. It must be for different years or something. Mine is a 3 speed transfer on a '76 FJ55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom