Transfer Case Shifter Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after paging through about 20 pages of previous threads, I couldn't find one that answered my question. So here goes:

I rarely drive my stock '84 FJ60 offroad in 4wd (about twice per year), but I put it in 4H at least once per month and cruise around for ten or fifteen minutes just to keep everything lubricated and to test the system. I recently attempted to engage 4L and was unable to engage the system. From 4H the transfer case shifter just pushed all the way over to the right with no resistance. It would not enter neutral or 4L. When I pushed it back up into 2H the shifter also pushed all the way over to the right with no resistance. I'm guessing this is a linkage problem of some kind. Anyone have any thoughts?

All the linkages are visible from under the truck. If you can get under the truck and have someone operate the shifter you should be able to see what is going on. May well be the prefect time to install a set of twin sticks :) I can't help myself.

See the diagram - it will help you figure it out. The mechanism isn't designed to allow you to move the shifter from 2H to the right (which would put you in 2L), that's what the shift guide (Part 36323) is there for. However, some cut off part of the guide to allow that, maybe the previous owner? Notice that the rod (Part 36340) is connected to the lever (Part 36321) and held in place by a cotter pin - if the cotter pin isn't there and the rod is no longer attached, the shifter won't move the high/low lever (Part 36362).

FJ60 Transfer Shift.png

Last edited:
I have had the rod (36340 in the diagram above) become unthreaded from the lever (36362). It is not held in place by a cotter pin, the rod has an M8 heim on that goes up and through the lever, I didn't put a lock washer on there and the nut came off. Same exact symptoms.

Luckily I was stuck in mud when I discovered this :mad:

Like NCFJ said, crawl under your truck and observe the linkage while a helper is shifting. The linkage is sort of complicated considering that it's only moving 2 levers.

I have had the rod (36340 in the diagram above) become unthreaded from the lever (36362). It is not held in place by a cotter pin, the rod has an M8 heim on that goes up and through the lever, I didn't put a lock washer on there and the nut came off. Same exact symptoms.

Luckily I was stuck in mud when I discovered this :mad:

Nailed it cruisermatt. Cotter pin was absent and the linkage had disconnected. Thanks all!

Ohhh the cotter pin on the OTHER side of that rod is what you are referring to.

Mine was the nut, the cotter pin would be too easy right?

The only reason I first thought of the cotter pin is I've been putting together four sets of linkages recently, including putting them together and taking them apart again more than a few times, mainly to make sure each is set up correctly (there were subtle changes from the one-piece cases to the early split cases, and again with the later cases used with 5-speeds and long 4-speeds). One thing in common though, they all have that same cotter pin. I can't remember how many times the cotter pins slid out while I was messing around trying to figure things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom