Transfer case selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adarcy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm finally going to do a transmission swap on my 72' FJ40 and I wanted to get some opinions on Transfer cases based of my needs and your experiences...

It's a 1972, 2F, factory 3 speed trans, and 3 speed transfer case. Small lift, 33's, and I do off road it. I usually do day off road trips around Southern California (Anza, Valley of the Moon, Big Bear, etc) with my average day having around 300 miles of seat time. It does great for what it is, but i'm either always in the bottom of 3rd with no power or winding out 2nd trying to get through the hills to/from my destination. I don't need more top end speed on the flats. She'll do 75mph, but i usually keep it around 60-65mph.

I was looking at going the 4 speed transmission route, either H41 or H42 rebuilt with the low gears. The question is should I retain and rebuild my 3spd tranfer case or spring for an Orion case?

I am looking to improve my drive to/from the off road destination and get as good or better low range for crawling up the hills.

I do want to start driving to some destinations that are a bit further away for some extended camping trips. 4-6 hours each way.

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I want to do this once and right HA...

Andy

Keeping the F engine doing a H42 is a big improvement. Did this on my 68 and third gear in the H42 is better than second in the J30 three speed. A Orion can be done later. A H55F would give you a overdrive gear for long trips which the F would appreciate but also a lower first gear which is not as friendly as the H42. For my 73 plan a H42 and Fairey OD but only because I already have the Fairey OD.

Thanks, this is just the kinda of feedback I was hoping to get and all in one place to boot! It sounds like the H42 with the 3.55 gears to my 3spd transfer case would be a great combo for street and trail use. If I want to get blingy, then going with an Orion case is a good option.

Question - Is the Orion case quieter than the 3spd transfer case?

Welcome to Mud!

An Orion is the same design with a steel case and a bigger low speed gear installed. You put your gears into it.

If it's quieter, you probably wouldn't notice over the general noise level of a 40.

<< edited for accuracy >>

Last edited:
You put your gears into it.
Just for accuracy, no gears reused in the Orion, all new. Very complete kit with clear instructions.
Haven't run the one I just built, so no help on noise level.

@DickM Thank you for clarifying. I think in the early days of the Orion, they didn't provide all the gears. I now stand corrected :)

Thanks, this is just the kinda of feedback I was hoping to get and all in one place to boot! It sounds like the H42 with the 3.55 gears to my 3spd transfer case would be a great combo for street and trail use. If I want to get blingy, then going with an Orion case is a good option.

Question - Is the Orion case quieter than the 3spd transfer case?
FYI, that’s MY website.😉

Have you considered an H42 from an early FJ60, with a splitcase and low crawler gears in the split case? I have read so many damn issues with the Orion popping out of gear. Never read any issues with a splitcase popping out of gear... You don't need the strength of the steel case for your described use.

Have you considered an H42 from an early FJ60, with a splitcase and low crawler gears in the split case? I have read so many damn issues with the Orion popping out of gear. Never read any issues with a splitcase popping out of gear... You don't need the strength of the steel case for your described use.

Yeah, I think i've settled on the H42 for the transmission. I'm on the fence between some low range gears in the transfer case (I have the older style from a 71/72) or going the Orion route.

Yeah, I think i've settled on the H42 for the transmission. I'm on the fence between some low range gears in the transfer case (I have the older style from a 71/72) or going the Orion route.
There is a difference in H42's between the FJ40's and FJ60's, many differences actually. I have read - only read - that the H42 out of an FJ60 shifts smoother than the H42 out of the FJ40's, something having to do with the top plate? This may be of interest if you are driving it a bunch.

You cannot put low range gears in your 3spd transfer case, there is nothing available. I am also not sure (leaning on a no) if you can re-use your 3spd case behind an H42. The H42's in FJ40s had 16 spline output shafts. Your 3spd case is setup for a 10 spline output shaft. The H42's from FJ60's had a 19 spline output shaft. Lots of places to go wrong here if you buy the incorrect parts. If you want low range upgrade, you need to to go Orion, or as I suggested, upgrade to a short version of the H42 out of an FJ60 with a splitcase attached to it. You can put crawler gears in the split case transfer case.

The 8/80+ FJ40 uses the same H42 transmission and split transfer case during the time the 40 was still production. The top cover on 40 series was cast iron. The 60 series the transmission shifter is further back and those are made of aluminum. Transfer case later switched to the 38 MM idler gear from 34 MM. Lpwer gear sets for both are available. The 8/80+ FJ45 and HJ47 have a hand brake on the back of the split transfer case like used on the earlier one piece transfer cases. The 60 series never had the hand brake on the transfer case. While never imported these transfer cases orkit to convert the split transfer can be found. There is a way to convert a split transfer case to use the hand brake using three parts and then the rest from the earlier one piece transfer case hand brake setup. While never imported these transfer cases amd kits to convert the split transfer can be found.

There is a difference in H42's between the FJ40's and FJ60's, many differences actually. I have read - only read - that the H42 out of an FJ60 shifts smoother than the H42 out of the FJ40's, something having to do with the top plate? This may be of interest if you are driving it a bunch.

You cannot put low range gears in your 3spd transfer case, there is nothing available. I am also not sure (leaning on a no) if you can re-use your 3spd case behind an H42. The H42's in FJ40s had 16 spline output shafts. Your 3spd case is setup for a 10 spline output shaft. The H42's from FJ60's had a 19 spline output shaft. Lots of places to go wrong here if you buy the incorrect parts. If you want low range upgrade, you need to to go Orion, or as I suggested, upgrade to a short version of the H42 out of an FJ60 with a splitcase attached to it. You can put crawler gears in the split case transfer case.
Yes, you can put your 3-speed transfer case behind an H42 4-speed. That's what I'm running in my '76 FJ40. You just need a few parts - a transition gear, a new bearing at the tail end of the H42 output shaft, longer bolts, and a spacer IIRC. There are many write-ups on this here on MUD and elsewhere on the Internet.

The 8/80+ FJ40 uses the same H42 transmission and split transfer case during the time the 40 was still production. The top cover on 40 series was cast iron. The 60 series the transmission shifter is further back and those are made of aluminum. Transfer case later switched to the 38 MM idler gear from 34 MM. Lpwer gear sets for both are available. The 8/80+ FJ45 and HJ47 have a hand brake on the back of the split transfer case like used on the earlier one piece transfer cases. The 60 series never had the hand brake on the transfer case. While never imported these transfer cases orkit to convert the split transfer can be found. There is a way to convert a split transfer case to use the hand brake using three parts and then the rest from the earlier one piece transfer case hand brake setup. While never imported these transfer cases amd kits to convert the split transfer can be found.
I'm doing this on my '71 FJ40 with a '76 2F. Later H41 from an '84 Australian HJ47, split transfer case with the rear drum parking brake from an '85 Belgian BJ45, 3.70 differentials from an '83 FJ60, and BFG 235/85R16 ATs on 70-Series wheels. I bought the 3:1 gear set from Cruiser Outfitters. Transmission and transfer case overall length is virtually identical to the H42 equipped FJ40s through 8/80. To me, that gives the best range of performance for both highway and moderate/difficult off-roading, Uses all Toyota parts (except the 3:1 gear set) at a very reasonable cost.

Nice talking with you. I think I forgot to mention that the rebuilt transmission I was telling you about has a brand new tailshaft. A substantial upgrade from a standard rebuild.

Transfer case is done.
D5CC0E2E-D4C4-4C58-B0B6-252382C6B192.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom