Transfer case regear diagram + install notes (WIP) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are running 37s it is my opinion that you should regear to 4.88s or even 5.38s. The 10% underdrive gives you a final ratio of 4.56 and IMO not low enough for 37s or larger.

I do like the low range 2.9 to 1 and recommend it especially with 33 inch and larger tires. It gives you a real improvement in low end crawling, greater control, greater power, and increased slowing when you let off the gas meaning not having to ride the brakes on a steep grade.

For 285s, the 4.56 would bring you just about back to the original gear ratio with maximum power and torque regained. I would do the transfer case low range and overdrive.

The larger the tires the less horsepower gets to the rear wheels (unless you gear much lower). I do not recommend 37s or larger unless you have increased first increased your braking, RCV installed axles, modified your steering, and have turned your Cruiser into a Rock Crawler. You also need a strong savings account. 35s will get you through most Moab trails, and many of the lighter Rock Crawling trails in Johnson Valley etc. Unless you have built your Cruiser well, including 5 point seat harnesses, you need to accept the fact that your Cruiser is NOT a Rock Buggy. It can be built to be a Rock Buggy but putting 39s on it would be the last thing to do. 37s only give one more inch of ground clearance.

I run my Cruiser with 35s, I run my Rock Crawler Jeep with 35s ( I used to run 37s but found that they really didn't help, and caused me to increase the lift more than I liked). I do run my Ultra 4 Buggy on 42s but it was built for them, 700hp , race built, including Full Racing Axles etc. (FYI I use the FJ80 as a chase car).

Last edited:
@OffRoadScott I would agree that this isn't enough gear for 37's. I'm on 35x12.5 and when fully loaded it's still a bit down on power for western mountain passes once elevation is over 5000' or so. Pretty happy with the rig setup as it is but to @Deathvalleypaul 's point we use our rig as a "get to the most remote campsites" vehicle as opposed to stand alone wheeling (for the most part.)
Hope that helps, cheers.

Where can I purchase a set of underdrive tcase gears? I've been searching for them with no luck. Would like to go 4:10 to 4:56 gear ratio.

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters (CruiserTeq.com): Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/engineparts.html

We stock over-drive and under-drive gears for the high range and several low range offerings for the 8x/10x as well!

1613598983614.png

Hey soundguy, really appreciate the work you put into documenting this job! Resurrecting this thread to ask you if I could pick your brain a bit on jack placement and repositioning when taking the case out? I tried sending a DM but it looks like your inbox is full.

Yeah sure, my bad, let me clean out my inbox or just ask here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom