Transfer case rear seal leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
With 244,000 miles, I guess it's time for a transfer case seal to start leaking. After each off-road trip, I check everything to look for issues. This week I found a drip from the rear seal. This is the only t-case leak at the moment. I change diff and xfer case fluids often. This just started after last weekend's adventure.

Any suggestions for replacing the rear seal or is a full t-case removal and reseal in order?

1638019162145.png

Craig, I’d try AT-205 before getting too crazy. It stopped my front output shaft from leaking. I know the front requires removing the t-case, not sure on the rear.

Craig, I’d try AT-205 before getting too crazy. It stopped my front output shaft from leaking. I know the front requires removing the t-case, not sure on the rear.
Thank you. I'll give it a try. The rear may be replaceable by only removing the t-case extension. Not as bad as the front. Though, not a small job either.

Check for a clogged breather.

I'd consider replacing bearings if you end up replacing the seals.

Good luck finding AT-205, it's had supply chain issues for half of the year or better.

The gear lube has been looking good during the last few changes since I've owned it. This is from this afternoon's drain and refill.

1638018669196.png

I agree with this. I had a rear output seal leak as well. Not quite as easy as it should be to change, so i tried the at-205. It's worked for the last year so far.

How much AT-205 did you mix with the 1.4 quarts of gear lube?

I agree with this. I had a rear output seal leak as well. Not quite as easy as it should be to change, so i tried the at-205. It's worked for the last year so far.

I use 1.33oz of At-205, per quart of fluid in a system. Some are trying alternatives to AT-205 (since its not been available). I can't say if they're the same. But be careful in selection. We do not want to add petroleum based seal modifiers and/or a glue/filler type. AT-205 is a plasticizer according to manufacture tech support.

What gear lube brand and weight are you using in T-case?

I use 1.33oz of At-205, per quart of fluid in a system. Some are trying alternatives to AT-205 (since its not been available). I can't say if they're the same. But be careful in selection. We do not want to add petroleum based seal modifiers and/or a glue/filler type. AT-205 is a plasticizer according to manufacture tech support.

What gear lube brand and weight are you using in T-case?

75x90 Valvoline synthetic for LS during the last 2 changes. Before that M1 75w90 syn for LS. No idea what was used before I bought it in Jan of 2020.

Amazon reports AT-205 to be delivered on Tuesday.

1638061747211.png

I suspect some recent off-roading may have aggravated the problem. It was high centering coming out of this mud hole. Then a recent mountain climb at roughly a 35-degree approach angle I'm sure had the lube resting against the back of the t-case.

1638062256840.png

Last edited:
In case I need to prepare for the worst. It's dripping today and starting to leave a little puddle in the driveway.

You pull the rear half and then pull the the axle (output shaft) to replace the oil seal. I document this repair (link below). Also replace the bearing. Use OEM parts.
That was my first time doing this and is doable without much effort.

Thank you @nissanh for the very detailed write-up and parts list.

My only question at this point is did you have any difficulty reinstalling the rings in this picture? I've gotten around this in the past by using some tacky grease to parts like this in place during reassembly. Or are these the shims that were secured with super glue?

Thanks again and I'm sure I will have more questions as I start digging deeper into this.

1638185562369.png

Last edited:
AT-205 arrived today from Amazon. I guess 3.5 tbs for the 1.4 quarts in the t-case?

There is a ratio on the bottle, I don't recall off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom