trailer wiring harness conundrum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,
Doing some troubleshooting of why my trailer light harness isn't working, I came across the weirdest thing.
I found whoever put in the wires cut about 1/4 inch of wire from the original trailer wire harness, P/N 00526-00930, for what appears to be the left hand turn signal wire.

I'm fairly certain I need to start from scratch, here's my real question:

why would someone remove enough of that wire to make sure it doesn't work?
TrailerWireHarness.jpg

Judging by the goo on the insulation, I bet they realized they screwed up.

Why not toss a butt connector in there & some heatshrink, call it good & see if it works?

Those boxes are known for failing and were an aftermarket add.
I recommend you spend less than $25 and get a Curt 56146 (Made in USA) and wire it in.
It will need power but there is a wire close to where you found that one that is live. Use your test light to find the Hot wire.
Whole job take less than 1 hr.

I have one that I removed from my LC a few weeks ago (controller too), if you are interested.

Buy a new Hopper and replace it, I believe the green wire is the hot iirc, test it to make sure

I ended up fixing that connection. I'm flabbergasted how it was like that to begin with. Nevertheless, you're right, whoever was in there before me half-arsed it, the wire for the left turn signal was connected to something other than the left turn signal. once that was sorted out and the missing piece of wire repaired, things worked as they are supposed to.

It works now. I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom