Trailer Questions - Planning & Forethought (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone has any experience building their own trailer? Ground up, not a M416 build or something.

I’ve been wanting to go the trailer route since long before I had the LX, but had previously driven an F150. I know that the available options in the trailer market are great, but I’ve wound up really wanting bits and pieces of each.

Hence, I’m thinking about building my own, and probably OVERbuilding the daylights out of it. Rugged frame, Timbren axles, bunch of ideas. Just wondering what the primary hurdles might be, any build advice, whether it’s even possible to register it.

I haven't done it, but I'm following this thread. I've had lots of ideas for how I'd do it, but not the skills to make it happen.

I end up buying a trailer. I planned to build one but..by the time I added up all the cost it was fairly close to what I would spend buying it from someone else ..plus I have five kids so my time is very limited

If you have the skills, resources, and motivation, I'd say go for it! If you don't have much background in such a thing, probably would be good to base it off some plans that may be on the internet. Lots of ways to do it, with perhaps lots of way to do it wrong as well.

I don't think you'll be able to do it cheaper necessarily than a turn key solution as shops have the benefit and economies of scale, with wholesale cost sources. There's also more than meets the eye and pros have had the benefit of reflection and iteration to perhaps make a superior product. It'll come down to your resources, skills, and ability but I think with the right motivation, it's surely doable.

I'd also consider the time aspect of it. Would your time be better spent making a pre-built trailer yours, and using it with the family? Or you have plenty of time to build and enjoy? I've had lots of thoughts to do similar to what you're proposing but I realize the kids are growing up way to fast that I rather spend my limited time customizing and enjoying. May get around building something in the future for myself to enjoy when times on my side.

If you haven’t already, you might check out this forum here on MUD. I haven’t read through it in awhile, but as I recall there are a few users that have built their own. Might get some ideas.

I'm building one right now and best advice I have is look at other trailers, borrow one or rent one to use on a trip and see what you like, what you don't like, and then just start building.

In Michigan it's easy to register an owner-built trailer. You just have to have the weight signed off on by a certified weighmaster and take the form to the state. The registration says "Homebuilt".

And speaking of weight. If you build, don't overbuild. Excess trailer weight is not your friend when towing whether on the highway or off-road. instead of overbuilding, take the time to figure out the optimum design and materials for the intended purpose.

And speaking of weight. If you build, don't overbuild. Excess trailer weight is not your friend when towing whether on the highway or off-road. instead of overbuilding, take the time to figure out the optimum design and materials for the intended purpose.
This is a great point. I was surprised when I analyzed mine in our structural engineering software how small the frame members could be.

Thanks a lot for the guidance/resources.

To address skillset: I'm self-taught on the welding front, but I'm prepared to spend a good bit of time practicing before I pull my work down the highway. @Firemedic831 mentioned wishing he'd had a 220 vs a 110 welder... is that just a penetration thing or what does that mean for the end product? Truthfully I'm most concerned about electrical.

@Sandroad totally understood. I started and sold a company that did product design and FEA so I guess I should have been clearer with what I meant by "overbuilt". In fact, probably wasn't the right word in the first place. Just want something super durable and modular enough to accommodate everything from a remote weekend to a week-or-two-long excursion.

Also, best source for steel?

Find a local metal supplier. Freight would kill you on that much material.

I think aluminum would be ideal.

Thanks a lot for the guidance/resources.

To address skillset: I'm self-taught on the welding front, but I'm prepared to spend a good bit of time practicing before I pull my work down the highway. @Firemedic831 mentioned wishing he'd had a 220 vs a 110 welder... is that just a penetration thing or what does that mean for the end product? Truthfully I'm most concerned about electrical.

@Sandroad totally understood. I started and sold a company that did product design and FEA so I guess I should have been clearer with what I meant by "overbuilt". In fact, probably wasn't the right word in the first place. Just want something super durable and modular enough to accommodate everything from a remote weekend to a week-or-two-long excursion.

Also, best source for steel?
I have both a 110 and a 220. I have the new Millermatic 220 And i do not think i would ever use my 110 again . 110 is ok for thin material .

Find a local metal supplier. Freight would kill you on that much material.

I think aluminum would be ideal.

For the chassis or anything structural, I'd use tried and true mild steel. It's more forgiving and durable. Aluminum can be tricky at times and can work harden and fracture if not designed adequately and used in high vibrations uses like off-road.

For everything else non structural, yes, aluminum would be great. Can be cut and worked much like wood. I have a thing for building things out of aluminum and rivets.

Nothing over 8' wide or even the Clearview mirrors won't properly see down the sides.

Thank you all a lot for your input. Probably spent 20 of the last 24 hours delving deep into the internet on this, and yalls advice is definitely helpful. Got the welding gear I need ordered up. Will do a write-up at some point and document.

Any experience/input on thin gauge steel vs aluminum on the walls? Definitely looking to keep weight down, but unsure on how to mount aluminum walls to a steel frame in a clean fashion.

The pros to aluminum is the weight . a 4x8 sheet of 050 Alum is about 22lbs you could sheet a steel frame with Luan using self tappers and sikaflex then bond the Aluminum to the luan .

Just built these prototypes. Looks like we are gonna build 4 more in Jan. It fits lots of your needs. PM me for details

I can give you lots of feedback on our builds
IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6924.JPG

Will you be sleeping In it? Our current camper is a composite product called Azdel, installed over an aluminum frame. It has insulting value and doesn't have wood in it. It seems like a good construction method.

We've experienced a fair amount of issues with prior campers where luan and other plywood was used.

The WeRoll trailers seem like a well built product, and they have a lot of videos where you can see bits and pieces of how they build. Maybe worth watching a few to get some construction ideas?

check around 12:15

Last edited:
Will you be sleeping In it? Our current camper is a composite product called Azdel, installed over an aluminum frame. It has insulting value and doesn't have wood in it. It seems like a good construction method.

We've experienced a fair amount of issues with prior campers where luan and other plywood was used.

The WeRoll trailers seem like a well built product, and they have a lot of videos where you can see bits and pieces of how they build. Maybe worth watching a few to get some construction ideas?

check around 12:15

I won't be sleeping in it or anything, I'm really just looking to build something like that first gear hauler mentioned in that video. I suspect that weight consequences at that scale given our tow vehicles is probably bordering on negligible, just looking to build it properly and follow conventional wisdom. That video is great though, definitely see some things that I'll have to take into account regarding details. Thanks guys!

Oh, okay. I've been thinking of a custom camper build, so that is where my head went. We have a commercial "offroad" camper, that looks nice, but I doubt it'd hold up to real rough use. I'd like to take the things I like about this one, and build a beefier version that is suited specifically to our uses.

My welding skills aren't up to the job, so I had been looking into the small companies that do this kind of work, and they are all sitting on huge backlogs and delivery timeframes. Several told me that their sales have skyrocketed since the pandemic started. You're ahead of the game since you can build your own.

One thing that I think I will do with my next one is the Timbren Axle-less suspension. They look like they have great clearance and articulation. I'd want to have thee hub bolt pattern match the land cruiser, so they can share spares and the trailer tires can be swapped onto the vehicle if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom