Trail Tailor Foam Cell Shocks Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so something else for me to learn about for later this year... I'll be doing a small lift and new tires sometime next Fall.

I fitted a Toughdog 3" lift a few months back and I still am amazed at the quality of the ride. The front springs are TDC948 and the rear springs are TDC945. Front shocks are 41mm bore foam cells (FC41002) and rear shocks are 45mm adjustable (BMX1111/2). Steering damper was replaced with a ToughDog EXT5001. It took me a little time to figure our the best setting on the rears for pavement use but when I got there wow what a ride. Cant speak highly enough of it. By the way I run 315's, front ARB with winch, dual batteries rear 4x4 labs dual swings and fully loaded kiss drawers. Not sure of my weight but likely above the norm..

The way i see it is that the front end weight is more or less stable where as the back can vary significantly depending on how it is loaded. The difference between the 1 and 9 setting on the rears is vast.

Is there a reason why you guys are not running the 9 way adjustable shocks in the front also ??

I decided against the adjustables after talking with Jason about it, just personal preference. I am not the type of guy that wants to mess with things. I have limited time and just want it on and working, period. I also had rancho adjustables way back when and never messed with them. Then when you add in the additional cost for me it just did not make sense.

I have OME sport shocks and they feel good to me but I don't know what I'm missing! I'll have to pay closer attention to the drive the next time I drive the 80. Mine weighs in at around 6800lbs empty I'd venture to guess.

Just read this article on foam cell technology (Ironman4x4 not Toughdog but similar concept), a worthwhile read: We Test The New Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro Shock Absorber - Unsealed 4X4

First paragraph:

"Engines get the glory, but suspension makes or breaks a car.

What’s the first specs you look at on a vehicle? Probably the power and torque. I’ll leave it to another article to explain just how wrong that is, but for the moment let’s get back to the old saying, “power is nothing without control”.

It really depends on what the individual guy wants out of his truck. Honestly I think the OME is good if you are looking for a tuned sport suspension that is tight and firm. But I think they missed the mark for this vehicle and how most guys use it. I could see it being better for a lighter unloaded truck that you want to be better in turns, etc. For me I want my truck to ride comfortably on the freeway and soak up the bumps for touring, I am usually loaded up on trips so am not driving very fast. I am usually puttering about especially when it comes to being up in the mountains on curves etc.

It really depends on what the individual guy wants out of his truck. Honestly I think the OME is good if you are looking for a tuned sport suspension that is tight and firm. But I think they missed the mark for this vehicle and how most guys use it. I could see it being better for a lighter unloaded truck that you want to be better in turns, etc. For me I want my truck to ride comfortably on the freeway and soak up the bumps for touring, I am usually loaded up on trips so am not driving very fast. I am usually puttering about especially when it comes to being up in the mountains on curves etc.

I'm mostly interested in these shocks for the 4runner which has a completely empty cargo. I had Icon VS alum shocks, then switched to Dobinson gas shocks and not liking the ride. It's too stiff/firm and really great when I'm towing the camper with a 400# tongue weight. Otherwise, I'm not liking the harsh ride but do like the level(ish) cornering stance of the body. During offroading with 25psi in the tires, she can haul the mail like none other!

My 80 is stupid heavy all the time so I don't know if I'm going to mess with the shocks until the Sport shocks start to fail.

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom