Tracy City-August 15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

let me know if i can help

I went back up there this morning. I pulled a few tricks out my butt and got it to roll. Then I hooked to him and drug it back to the road. When I left them this time they had it loaded on a trailer and was getting ready to head back to Atlanta. I think they have some pictures of the recovery. I hate it that they did not call me earlier, but it seems they got a little aggravated with it. So it done them some good to get away from it and rethink what was going on. I hate they had all those problems but I'm glad I could help get them back on the road.

Thanks Pumpkin, good work and we all owe you a beer and one tree!

Off the trail about 2:30 AM, finally a hotel around 3:15, then Waffle House at 4 AM, I got home about 20 mins ago. Ben and Mathew made it home to Calhoun about 6:30 this evening with one truck in tow. A few tails and pics to be posted later.

The carnage report will have to be posted first but it includes several body panel modifications (mine and Ben's) just to name a few.

Last edited:
Glad to hear everyone finally made it back home safely.....now im interested to hear what all happened to your trucks...sounds like some stiff competition for the Carny Award this month

It was the hours that lead up to this video that were fun!

A weekend to remember. And my recovery gear got a good workout too.:steer: Glad I made this one!!!

3828059235_2ab1d1c834.jpg

"Monteagle FUBAR"

Alright so the story goes like this...

By about 4:00 PM our group of 15+/- trucks covered some miles of stop and go wheeling where we arrived at a little church in the middle of nowhere. After an extend wait some lagging rigs finally show up, we head back out for another "hour or so" worth of wheeling to complete the day. We start climbing a long rocky hill where the trail-leader pulls over and stops to watch some of the bigger trucks play. Getting late and tired the rest of keep going up the hill and makes way to the trailers and ultimately the exit. I think this is where we lost RadioRidge and his passenger Phil (sorry guys, don't know how that happened!!!!). Upon reaching the top of the hill Pillguy, Robert, Tom, Steve and a few others decide to head home. Meanwhile, some of us discuss our options of wheeling some more but Ben aired back up, apparently he missed part of our discussion. Anyway after deliberating a bit, 5 trucks to include Ben, me and my nephew, Mike and his dad, Eric, Thomas and Dallon opt to wheel-it back to the other side of the river instead of going around like the others. We were pointed to a trail that goes back down to bottom and given the general direction of where we need to go, so off we went following our sense of direction.

The trail down was pretty good, a little rocky and a few off camber spots but nothing too bad. We ease down a little further where the trail gets kind of washed and rutted, to make it down you have to strattle the rut and go slow. I lead the way down and pick my way through where I foud later I made a comment about a particularly tippy spot. I get to the bottom, look in my mirror and no truck behind me so I wait, and wait, and wait. I radio out and finally hear that Ben flopped his truck on the side in the rut. Ok, grab the gloves, straps etc and walk a few hundred yards back up the trail where our crew is already strapped on to Ben's sliders and is is starting to upright the truck with a strap and Hi-lift. We work on it for an hour or so, finally get it on 4 wheels, ease the powerless truck down the hill without further incident. At the bottom Ben pull the spark plugs, waits a little while and fires his truck right up. Done, time to get out and go home. He later blames me for the tires being aired back up! Haha

We head in the direction we think is "out" by following a creek. The further we go the tighter the trail gets. I finally get to a point that I have to practically hang 1/2 a tire over the creek bed to get by a tree, I make it but it looks worse ahead so I pull a u-turn. scrape a tree by the creek ledge and head back. Dent #1-left rear 1/4 panel...again.

Well it seams everyone and their mother has a CB in Tracy City and they're all on Ch.4. As we're discussing how to find an exit some local shouts out on the CB and points us to a river crossing and directions to our exit. We follow his directions and it turns out the the guy was spot on. By now it's getting late and we can feel the exit, It's now about 7:45and we all have our lights on bobbing along without a care in the world!

So the scene is this: It's now about 8:15, 5 trucks all cruising along up this steep rocky trail with Mike leading and I'm playing tail-gunner. The world is a happy place right now. Birds are singing, crickets are chirping, frogs are calling out for some froggy-love and we're all doing our thing. By now it's getting pretty dark, all of our lights are blazing through the darkness and we're making progress. The trail is getting steeper and rockier but nothing we haven't done before. I'm about 30 yards behind Ben and I'm watching him for awhile bounce over rocks like the rest of us until... Bang! and I see the left rear tire pull out and away from the truck about 18" and instantly I know we're in for a long night. I get on the radio and yell "Ben, STOP!" but he doesn't her me, gives it gas and his tire pushes even further away from the truck. He stopped after that.

It's now about 8:30 and completely dark, we pondering how to do a field repair and get Ben out of this very precarious spot. It's the worst part of the trail and we've broken the heaviest truck in the group. Finally we settle on bolting a tow strap b/w the wheel and break drum, anchor the other end of the strap to the opposite side of the truck and spin the tire until it cinches up. This should hold the tire into the axle while we winch him up the mountain to a trailer. It took about an hour to rig it up but the tire held. The problem we'd created was that this now anchored tire dug into the ground making it much more difficult to pull him up the steep hill and over beachball sized boulders. At one point we had 3 winches pulling on him but due to the terrain, wheel and truck positions we were only about to move Ben's truck about 50 ft. in 6 hours.

While all of this is all going on, Mike and his dad make it out to a road and started making calls back to ATL for parts. They managed to find parts through Patrick so Mike's wife in Decatur (Melissa--Mike's wife) hopped in the minivan at 11ish, went to Patrick's in Loganville, picked up the parts and drove to them to Calhoun where she met Mike around 2 AM. Melissa---You rock!!!!!!

By this time we'd all but given up on getting this done tonight so we packed everything up, distributed Bends gear amongst the other trucks and headed out. Being behind Ben I still had to squeeze by hi on the trail, in doing so I incurred Dent #2 by clipping Ben's front bumper with my right rear 1/4 panel, now I have one to match the left side. Nearing the top I hear a strange clanking noise coming from the front of my truck, I stop grab a light and find a broken idler arm hanging from the steering linkage, damn! Now my truck is down for the night. I drive it another mile to the trailer parking lot, unloaded all of my stuff plus some of Ben's into Eric's Cruiser. Thomas and Dallon loaded the 40, Mathew (Ben's friend from Calhoun) catches a ride with Thomas and they headed for home. Mathew will pick up the parts from a truck stop in Calhoun that Melissa dropped off, grab his truck and trailer while Eric, Ben myself, and my nephew find a hotel for the night by now it's 4AM

9AM the same morning I track down a replacement idler arm for my truck, get a bunch of groceries and head back to fix my truck. 30 minutes later... "Does anyone know where we left it?" An hour later and a few calls looking for GPS coordinates we find my truck and slam the part on. Bout the time Pumpkin pulls in with his beast of a 4Runner on 44's to lend assistance. We offload, drive down to Ben's truck, thank God it's still there and not in the river bottom, Pumpkin looks at it and says" I read on Pirate one time if you do this..." Ben's Big Stick video tells the rest...

By about 2:30PM we finally get the truck to Mathew's trailer, load up all of our gear and pack it in for home. I got home at 7:30 last night and everyone else made it home in one piece as well.

This is one for the archives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom