TPMS--Has anyone had the batteries die? Recommended replacement model? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
I just picked up some RW wheels, and am wondering if I should just put in new TPMSs in the replacement wheels rather than transferring the 7 year old sensors that may not last a lot longer. I have a techstream, so I can add the new ones to my LC.

Just wondering if the batteries have died in anyone's sensors, as they are only made to last 5-7 years IIRC.

Also wondering what others have used for replacement sensors (OEM? Aftermarket/brand?), and where you have found to be the best place to purchase.

Thanks!

I just picked up some RW wheels, and am wondering if I should just put in new TPMSs in the replacement wheels rather than transferring the 7 year old sensors that may not last a lot longer. I have a techstream, so I can add the new ones to my LC.

Just wondering if the batteries have died in anyone's sensors, as they are only made to last 5-7 years IIRC.

Also wondering what others have used for replacement sensors (OEM? Aftermarket/brand?), and where you have found to be the best place to purchase.

Thanks!

My 2008 with RWs are still using the same TPMS from stock wheels. Discount tire charged $9 per wheel to repack/seal. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure whether than included a new battery. Seems like it should have... No problems with my 9 year old TPMS. All 5 show up quickly.

My 2008 with RWs are still using the same TPMS from stock wheels. Discount tire charged $9 per wheel to repack/seal. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure whether than included a new battery. Seems like it should have... No problems with my 9 year old TPMS. All 5 show up quickly.

As far as I know, the battery is embedded in the sensor. I don't think you can just replace the battery (would be nice if you could)...

x2

As far as I know, the battery is embedded in the sensor. I don't think you can just replace the battery (would be nice if you could)...

Agreed. With that said, I left my originals in the OEM wheels for my LX (5 years old at the time) and purchased a second set for my Tundra rims. If I ever go back to the OEM 20s, it will be interesting to see if they still work!

Our Denali recently got new shoes, and the original TPMS were working great for 10 years. I went ahead and did new sensors since I was putting on new OEM wheels from a 15+ model and new tires, and because I figured nothing lasts forever. You can't change the battery separately from the sensor, so if you're inclined it wouldn't hurt to replace them so you don't have to think about it again for a long time.

Our Denali recently got new shoes, and the original TPMS were working great for 10 years. I went ahead and did new sensors since I was putting on new OEM wheels from a 15+ model and new tires, and because I figured nothing lasts forever. You can't change the battery separately from the sensor, so if you're inclined it wouldn't hurt to replace them so you don't have to think about it again for a long time.

I figure there's only one way to find out how long they truly last...so Ima let mine go and see.
9 years and counting...

Last edited:
I have heard 5-7 years is the norm.
The sensors in my 09' GMC shop truck, had all but one of them fail with dead batteries last year. Which was about 7 years from the time it was built. Not sure if the Toyota TPMS sensors have better or even different style of batteries. When I bought my Rim's and tires last month for the 200, I just bought the whole kit complete with sensors ready to install, that way I could put the stock wheels and tires back on if ever needed.

I have heard 5-7 years is the norm.
The sensors in my 09' GMC shop truck, had all but one of them fail with dead batteries last year. Which was about 7 years from the time it was built. Not sure if the Toyota TPMS sensors have better or even different style of batteries. When I bought my Rim's and tires last month for the 200, I just bought the whole kit complete with sensors ready to install, that way I could put the stock wheels and tires back on if ever needed.

Did you buy OEM sensors? That is the way I am leaning, as it seems the OEMs tend to last a while... Not sure about aftermarket.

Did you buy OEM sensors? That is the way I am leaning, as it seems the OEMs tend to last a while... Not sure about aftermarket.

That I am not sure, I know I had asked and was told they were the OEM style and not something like I have seen where they take a cheap generic sensor and program it to whatever they need. But since they were already in the wheels with the tires mounted, I can't guaranty what they put in there. I know I was able to use my TPMS tool and scan them all in and upload them into the 200 via the OBD2 port without any issues.

The ones in my '07 Tundra, '08 Cruiser, and '04 Deville all are original and still work. The DeVille (DTS) only has 23,000 miles, of which 18,000 were in the last 24 months. Sat in a garage before that only going to the store and Dr appointments once a week at most.

10 years
9 years
13 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom