Towing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a picture of my current set up, the camper weighs just under 5k wet and ready to go, The trailer weighs in at 9k with the cruiser on it and the tool box with spare parts and gear in it and fire wood in the bin. The truck drives like a dream is safely within all manufacturer weight ratings and no weight distributing hitch.
1605032981733.png

As you can see there is no shag because I am using the right tool for the job.

Travel safely and let's go wheelin

We can agree to disagree if you were towing a 22 foot RV trailer with your 97 anniversary edition Land Cruiser you are over Towing just my humble opinion of course it's going to ride better like I said weight distributing hitches are for vehicles that are over Towing again just my humble opinion.

Of course trailer manufacturers are going to warn against Towing without a weight distributing hitch it's all about reducing liability.

I guess so. The truck has the factory towing package and is rated for 5000 pounds trailer weight, 500 pounds tongue weight and GCVW of 11,525. All well under those specs.

I guess so. The truck has the factory towing package and is rated for 5000 pounds trailer weight, 500 pounds tongue weight and GCVW of 11,525. All well under those specs.
It's good to know what the rating are most don't. Did you actually take it to the scales ? most RV manufacturers do not include options ( AC awnings stabilizer jacks Etc etc) batteries, propane fuel, fresh water also not included. as you can see it's important to get your fully loaded setup to the scales to see what it weighs wet and ready.
Another thing to consider is the GCVW includes everything in the tow Reg and trailer, the wife,kids ,dog and the weight distributing. In short it all starts to add up fast.

It's good to know what the rating are most don't. Did you actually take it to the scales ? most RV manufacturers do not include options ( AC awnings stabilizer jacks Etc etc) batteries, propane fuel, fresh water also not included. as you can see it's important to get your fully loaded setup to the scales to see what it weighs wet and ready.
Another thing to consider is the GCVW includes everything in the tow Reg and trailer, the wife,kids ,dog and the weight distributing. In short it all starts to add up fast.

In a manner of speaking. I weighed the tongue myself and drove through the local dump scale to check the GCVW, which I was under with headroom. I don't know the exact loaded weight of the trailer, on some trip I'll swing through a truck stop and get individual axle weights. It tows well with or without the weight distribution, but handles better with it. No sag to speak of either way, fancy hitches should not be used to correct overloaded spring situations that was my point, as well as noting the improved handling. The Toyota towing instructions for this particular cruiser do not recommend a weight distributing hitch but do not prohibit it either. Toyota also specifies a sway bar for all towing situations greater than 1000 pounds trailer weight.

I totally agree about making sure you pack/load the tow vehicle and trailer correctly. Another consideration I think is how you drive. I've seen people blast down I-15 at 80+mph and driving pretty aggressively towing everything from fancy Airstreams to dune buggies and everything in between. I'm generally driving about 65mph and drive pretty conservatively when towing.

I'm not debating whether or not fancy hitches should be used to correct overloaded spring conditions, or if weight distribution systems are better than air bags. My air bags are pretty new--about 6 months old and they leak about 2-3 psi every 2 weeks. Will they leak more as they age? Maybe, but I just need them to perform reasonably well for another 3-5 years, at which point, we'll likely get a proper tow vehicle and larger travel trailer.

I will admit that the 80 series is not a great tow vehicle, and like others have said, I would not pull anything more than what I have now. I am under the gross combined weight rating for a '94 LC by at least 2500 pounds. I'll also say that there are places where we travel off the beaten path and the use of a weigh distribution system would hurt off-road performance when connected. I suppose I could still use the spring bars for highway travel, but I think aggressive drivers pose a greater risk to safety than me not using a weight distribution hitch with the Aliner.

I totally agree about making sure you pack/load the tow vehicle and trailer correctly. Another consideration I think is how you drive. I've seen people blast down I-15 at 80+mph and driving pretty aggressively towing everything from fancy Airstreams to dune buggies and everything in between. I'm generally driving about 65mph and drive pretty conservatively when towing.

I'm not debating whether or not fancy hitches should be used to correct overloaded spring conditions, or if weight distribution systems are better than air bags. My air bags are pretty new--about 6 months old and they leak about 2-3 psi every 2 weeks. Will they leak more as they age? Maybe, but I just need them to perform reasonably well for another 3-5 years, at which point, we'll likely get a proper tow vehicle and larger travel trailer.

I will admit that the 80 series is not a great tow vehicle, and like others have said, I would not pull anything more than what I have now. I am under the gross combined weight rating for a '94 LC by at least 2500 pounds. I'll also say that there are places where we travel off the beaten path and the use of a weigh distribution system would hurt off-road performance when connected. I suppose I could still use the spring bars for highway travel, but I think aggressive drivers pose a greater risk to safety than me not using a weight distribution hitch with the Aliner.

I agree with all that, I keep it to 55 when towing the RV. However, you might give the fancy hitch a try if you already have one that is rated properly. I found that on sand it helped a lot with not getting stuck after airing down both the cruiser and the trailer. Yes, driving on the beach with a travel trailer.

Hi, weight is very important. Personally I keep my trailers in tip top shape. Repack bearings, good springs, 10 plus belt tires.reweld joints that look weak. Commercial grade straps and chains. Agreed keep the speed around 65. Tow car must be in tip top shape with extra coolers ,excellent suspension and steering. Transmission and torque converter must be also in excellent condition.

Tire pressures.

No one has stressed the importance of correct tire pressure on both the tow vehicle as well as the trailer.
This is a primary cause of sway if trailer tire pressure is incorrect from one side to the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom