Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes it did have some rust in the usual spots. I cut it out and welded in some patch panels I made.

View attachment 2678991

View attachment 2678992

View attachment 2678993

View attachment 2678994

View attachment 2678998
Wow good work! Mine needs some body work too but I'm working on the frame axles and leafs first. Side note I have this speedo cable seal kit I picked up from city racer and I cant find any info on which way to install the inner seal. Have you seen anything or done this?

I dont want to get too off topic in this thread, is there a BS tread for general conversation for us?
You can start a thread -- however, we all are guilty of all sorts of rabbit hole BS...

I live close to 123 metcalf across from high school. Have a 76 fj40 in my garage. We should meet
I just saw this, haven't been on here lately. I think I might have seen you wrenching on your FJ over the weekend? I was riding my bike around with my daughter. PM me and we could meet up.

Hello all, I met some of you in KC late August at the monthly get together and as I plan to drive to Tuttle creek this weekend will use this post for further introduction. We got our first (and thus far only :) land cruiser in July 2020 with the intention to turn it into a vehicle to go out camp with, carry kayaks to the lake and maybe further down the road do a couple long distance (as in cross continent) trips. With our older kids having left the house we're down for local camp events to 4 persons + dog which fits nicely in a cruiser. This summer has been a blast, we've camped at most of the reservoirs that lie in a 150 mile radius from home, often together with other local families. The odometer racked up 3000 miles since most of the rebuild was done, all just within Kansas.
IMG_1086.JPG

But that's all after the rebuild....

You all knew much better of course what it takes to get a land cruiser back on the road and now I know as well that many, many, hours go into something that sounds easy when buying a 20+ year old vehicle "just to add some bumpers, sliders, skid plates, raise it a bit and put a tent on top and be done...". This vehicle was flooded, did have it first break down within 1 mile of the dealer's lot dropping all steering fluid and seizing the PS pump but after a quick repair made it home from Arkansas to Kansas OK. Anyway, the list of "to do's" became:

done​
Remove front bumper, inspect frame​
done​
Remove rear bumper, inspect frame​
done​
Remove after market wiring from engine bay front​
done​
Test Android Radio​
done​
Remove interior​
done​
Strip front frame​
done​
Blast front frame​
done​
Clean vehicle, degrease and etch front frame so it can dry overnight​
done​
POR15 front frame layer 1​
done​
POR15 front frame layer 2​
done​
POR15 front frame topcoat​
done​
Remove engine oil pan​
done​
Remove side axle from front diff​
done​
List front end bolt sizes and lengths​
done​
Blast front end bolts​
done​
Blast oil pan, front axle, steering link & torsion bar holders​
torsion bar holders: long side from the bolt hole goes towards the back, arrow to front​
done​
POR15 oil pan, front axle, steering link & torsion bar holders​
done​
Crud cut small front end bolts & nuts​
done​
Zinc plate and Chromate front end bolts & nuts​
done​
Anti rust coat front frame inside​
done​
Front diff lock E locker installation​
done​
Mount front diff​
done​
Timing belt and water pump replacement​
done​
Replace valve cover seals​
done​
Place lower control arm reinforcements​
done​
Mount steering rack​
done​
Put engine back on its mounts​
done​
Clean and zinc plate engine hardware​
done​
Install thermostat and coolant hoses engine front​
done​
Remove 2nd body mounts for rust treatment / replacement​
done​
Install coolant hoses engine rear​
done​
Route front diff lock wiring, extend breather tube, put clamps on​
trace down difflock switch wires, reuse relays on a distribution panel?​
done​
Mount Alternator and fix up wiring RH engine side​
done​
Mount PS pump and hoses​
done​
Separate all hardware from front wheel knuckles for media blasting​
done​
Check radiator brackets and hardware for media blasting​
done​
List front suspension and knuckle bolt sizes and lengths​
done​
Blast front suspension and knuckle hardware​
done​
Zinc plate suspension and knuckle hardware​
done​
POR15 coat front wheel suspension​
done​
Replace bearings in right front hub​
done​
Mount AC pump​
done​
Replace bearings in left front hub​
done​
Assemble front wheel suspension​
done​
Fill front diff with gear oil​
done​
Install radiators and hoses​
done​
Clean up wiring front engine bay​
done​
Test running engine briefly ?​
start idle at 1200 rpm, once warm steady at 750 rpm​
done​
Replace engine coolant​
Capacity: 15.3 L / 16.2 US qts​
done​
Remove rear brake calipers​
done​
Media blast front and rear brake calipers​
done​
Coat and rebuilt front and rear brake calipers​
done​
Remove rear axle​
diagnose diff lock, bearings and brakes, rustproof and paint, new fluid, new suspension​
done​
Remove exhaust​
done​
Remove spare wheel holder​
done​
Test rear diff lock actuator​
temporarily reconnect wire harness, test next to vehicle​
done​
Remove fuel tank​
done​
Remove rear corner cab supports, raise body a bit more​
done​
Lift transmission, remove support cross bar, inspect​
done​
Remove transfer case​
done​
Remove parts from underbody for zinc plating or POR15 coating​
done​
Remove brackets front frame for dissent bumper​
done​
Repair and weld cross member​
done​
POR15 coat rear frame parts and diff lock actuator​
done​
Rebuild rear diff lock actuator​
done​
Touch up white painted areas engine bay and grille​
done​
Mount 12.5 winch straight out of the box with the clutch release forward​
done​
Zinc plate remaining transfer case and rear bumper hardware​
done​
Replace transfer case seals (4)​
done​
Repair and weld rear frame​
done​
Fix body rust damage rear left, check wheel well rims, welding repairs​
done​
Move supports and finalize stripping rear frame and body​
done​
Strip rear axle​
done​
Clean and strip cabin interior floor​
done​
POR15 coat rear frame, rear axle, cabin interior floor​
done​
Mount rear brake and fuel lines to frame​
done​
Assemble and install rear heater​
done​
Install front torsion bars, set basic front wheel alignment​
done​
Install transfer case​
done​
Install transmission cross member​
done​
Lift Engine, install new exhaust headers​
done​
Mount front brakes and new brake lines​
done​
Place rear axle for testing brake and diff lock​
done​
Test transfer case and rear diff lock electrical functions​
check before rest of assembly, requires closed brake lines, fuel pump can be left disconnected​
done​
Install long range fuel tank​
done​
Install rear shocks​
done​
Place clamps rear AC lines​
done​
Install exhaust​
done​
Close front AC lines, charge a bit​
done​
Fill Coolant​
done​
Test Engine Running​
done​
Put body back on frame​
AC line rear corner leaks? Right under last bracket: toyota part: 8872660650​
done​
Place rear axle difflock actuator​
done​
Route parking brake cable​
done​
Place front driveshaft​
done​
Align and tighten steering, front suspension preset​
done​
Finish rear axle suspension​
done​
Place rear driveshaft​
done​
Mount rear brakes on axle​
done​
Bleed brakes​
done​
Fill Transfer Case Oil​
done​
Fill Rear Axle Oil​
done​
Fix License Plate bolts​
done​
Tighten engine mounts​
done​
Tighten exhaust manifold bolts​
done​
Mount headlights​
done​
Finish front bumper, fix winch ground connection​
done​
Raise left torsion bar a notch​
done​
Adjust parking brake​
done​
Fill and sand body repairs​
done​
Apply underbody coating to side rails cabin​
done​
Fix front seat motors​
done​
Sand and paint seat mounting rails​
done​
Fix broken vacuum line on airbox​
Tried glue first, needed a 3D printed reinforcement​
done​
Replace spark plugs​
done​
Fix rear AC line, vacuum test OK but pressure test failed​
done​
Fit rear bumper​
done​
Repair speaker lines, test and install amplifier​
done​
Fix fuel gauge for long range tank​
done​
Handbrake cable ties​
done​
Remove DVD player / screen from roof / fix wires to headunit​
done​
Fit skid plate kit​
done​
Fix central door locks​
done​
Remove after market security module, prepare wiring for particle GPS tracker​
done​
Wire up front diff lock, make indicator PCB​
Test on gravel / mud​
done​
Repair 4WD switch center console​
done​
Update head unit software, customize background​
done​
Add security LED to head unit​
done​
Figure out how to make head unit illumination work​
Pin 2 on Radio and Player connector R1​
done​
Replace front windshield​
done​
Mount 80/20 bars on roof for rooftoptent​
done​
Run wires for Fridge/Freezer​
done​
Install trailer & back up lights & license plate harness​
done​
Install OBD application, test OBD reader​
Torque PRO works with USB dongle on Android headunit​
done​
Install solar panel on hood​
done​
Determine location for rear view camera, route wiring​
done​
Replace rear light units​
done​
Mount slide for Fridge/Freezer​
done​
Install carpet​
done​
Get and program remote keyfobs​
done​
Secure front end bolts, increase wheel hub clearance​
in test​
Install GPS tracker​
done​
Place covers and wire loom rear diff​
done​
Front wheel alignment​
had to rotate steering rack bushing 90 degrees, rotate only 1 of the bushing as compromise for tightest rubber bushing option?​
next​
Transmission fluid change​
done​
Check transfer case fluid level​
still a couple mm below fill plug​
done​
Install and wire up winch battery switch​
Replace battery clamp and add 400A fuse for winch?​
in test​
Install MPPT and secondary battery​
Make VE.direct cable for onboard monitoring​
done​
Install snorkel, best opportunity to get to the radio antenna​
next​
Repair radio antenna motor​
Add wires to D22 (common), D18 (up) and D17 (down)​
done​
Install solar panel on rooftoptent​
done​
Pair new keys to immobilizer, program ECM immobilizer memory​
Write up experiences for ih8mud​
next​
Window washer tank installation, fix wiring​
next​
Create a bracket for dual MPPTs​
done​
Test and install powered USB hub​
next​
Mount GPS and Telemetry antenna’s: roof? Dash?​
next​
Install Head Unit microphone in roof liner​
next​
Make a list of plastic parts to get from salvage​
next​
Fix and replace dash and center console illumination bulbs with LEDs​
next​
Install inverter, route 120V AC system wiring​
improve​
3D Print housing for rear camera​
improve​
Fix front RH window, replace window motor and guide​
improve​
Handbrake cable guides​
improve​
Transfer case: new seal on shift spindle​
improve​
Replace stock roof rails by 6 direct mounts/footings for roof top tent​
next​
Convert tail gate into camp kitchen and recovery gear storage​
next​
Design PCB for aux electronics: solar chargers, battery monitor, security​
next​
Improve headlights, add LED bar to front rail rooftoptent?​
next​
Integrate camping lights in rear hatch?​

and as you see and probably also know from experience the list will never end. Which is (for me) a big part of the land cruiser fun and for the family OK as long as there are enough driveable camp out weekends in between.

If there's anything on this list that is on your list as well, I'm happy to share experiences and open to all of your pro tips. The forum posts on ih8mud have been a big help getting this vehicle back to what it is today but there's still a ton to learn.

Happy wheeling, see you around,
Jaap

Just a quick intro and a question. I have an intro thread in the Series 100 section, so I won't regurgitate that here.

I live in the Liberty, MO area so close to a lot of people here.

I hope to make at least some of the meet-ups and was wondering if anyone local is an expert in the wiring/audio parts of the Series 100.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading through all the threads on it, and as mine already has the Tesla style radio (and a Nav Delete to revert seems insanely expensive) I'd like to get a few things fixed that apparently weren't done correctly the first time.

If there's a local expert who wants to make some money on the side, shoot me a PM and your hourly rate, or if anyone has recommendations on who I should contact, I'd appreciate it. Prefer someone I can trust not to make things worse than they are.

Here's a list of things that aren't quite right as it sits
1. No backup camera function
2. No GPS function (GPS dongle connected and connected at the back of the head unit as well)
3. Inclinometer not working
4. Audio sounds terrible...if the wiring gets sorted, newish DSP/Speakers/Amp/Subs are going in.

Just a quick intro and a question. I have an intro thread in the Series 100 section, so I won't regurgitate that here.

I live in the Liberty, MO area so close to a lot of people here.

I hope to make at least some of the meet-ups and was wondering if anyone local is an expert in the wiring/audio parts of the Series 100.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading through all the threads on it, and as mine already has the Tesla style radio (and a Nav Delete to revert seems insanely expensive) I'd like to get a few things fixed that apparently weren't done correctly the first time.

If there's a local expert who wants to make some money on the side, shoot me a PM and your hourly rate, or if anyone has recommendations on who I should contact, I'd appreciate it. Prefer someone I can trust not to make things worse than they are.

Here's a list of things that aren't quite right as it sits
1. No backup camera function
2. No GPS function (GPS dongle connected and connected at the back of the head unit as well)
3. Inclinometer not working
4. Audio sounds terrible...if the wiring gets sorted, newish DSP/Speakers/Amp/Subs are going in.
Those Tesla style heads are known for having issues. What year 100? I operate a small 1 man shop focused on land cruisers. It south of the City. I’ll PM you my number maybe I can help. Just need to gather some more info.

I typically work on my own cars; however, if I am otherwise distracted (ie drinking) @cjmoon is the person to trust......

1649300306418.png

Lenexa, KS resident joining the LC community. Picking up my first LC ('02) this weekend. Former jeep guy (bring the hate) but now that I'm all grown up, going with something a bit more family friendly. Attempting to NOT throw a ton of money at this thing but I think we all know how that goes.
jeep1.jpeg

Lenexa, KS resident joining the LC community. Picking up my first LC ('02) this weekend. Former jeep guy (bring the hate) but now that I'm all grown up, going with something a bit more family friendly. Attempting to NOT throw a ton of money at this thing but I think we all know how that goes.
View attachment 3234215
Welcome to the addiction. and as we all know addictions never take too much of your money or time..... :rolleyes:

View attachment 3234215
I hate, you wised up. I had a cj7 for 13 years the last engine that was in the jeep is now in my 80 series. 4bt diesel. Now have 3 cruisers so I’m not sure I wised up to much….

View attachment 3234215
Also a former 76 cj7 owner (albeit for a very short period of time) and now have three, but I only throw very small amounts of money at them 🤣😂 welcome…this club is fantastic.

Hey, wanted to let everyone know that Joe Kessler @12 Parsecs has his new Eyeglass / Optometry store open in Lenexa in the Town Center. Please support a local member with a very scary next chapter in his professional life... small business owners need your support!!

You likely will see Lexi, the lifted 80 series that does look like a raisin or his lifted 5th Gen 4runner out front!

District Eyecare.. 913-599-4393.

3f53bf40-3164-46de-a026-3fb1067155ce-jpeg.2457005

I've not really been too involved with the TAC group other than a handful of events/meetups, and have also neglected to use this site in a few years (thanks to a previous job blocking the site...I guess they wanted me to actually work rather than Cruiser stuff haha).

My name is Lucas and I have an addiction...oh wait, wrong group hah! Well, it's fitting since I am very much a Cruiser-head now. Born and raised in the KC area. Lived in Emporia, KS for about 13 years until a job brought me back to KC. Currently in Bonner Springs. I currently work for Creative Planning Technology Solutions.

I was always into Jeeps thanks to my dad. We had a restored WWII Willy's that we used to cruise around in. I bought three of my own, an '04 WJ 4.7, '67 M715, and a '13 JKUR. I bought my '99 100 series just 5 blocks from where I was living in Emporia, about a month hand a half prior to COVID breaking out. It was definitely a daily driver, kid hauler, and road trip rig with 228K on it. It was dirty and needed a bit of love. Between being stuck at home and prepping for a 10-day trip to Montana, I had plenty of work ahead of me to get it up to a good baseline with some amenities for a long road trip with dogs and kiddos. Fast-forward just over 3 years later and it's been by far my favorite vehicle I've owned so much so that I am looking for a 60 to build for more of what I want to do with the right amount of style.

What else to share? I am an Eagle Scout. I am big into all things camping. I teach a bit of bushcrafting, camping, and other miscellaneous outdoors skills. I work in IT. I enjoy a lot of outdoorsy/adventurous activities. I also caught the ADV/moto camping bug after purchasing and rebuilding a Honda XR650L last spring.

I am usually game to come help wrench or hang out for moral support, so feel free to take me up on that.

I've not really been too involved with the TAC group other than a handful of events/meetups, and have also neglected to use this site in a few years (thanks to a previous job blocking the site...I guess they wanted me to actually work rather than Cruiser stuff haha).

My name is Lucas and I have an addiction...oh wait, wrong group hah! Well, it's fitting since I am very much a Cruiser-head now. Born and raised in the KC area. Lived in Emporia, KS for about 13 years until a job brought me back to KC. Currently in Bonner Springs. I currently work for Creative Planning Technology Solutions.

I was always into Jeeps thanks to my dad. We had a restored WWII Willy's that we used to cruise around in. I bought three of my own, an '04 WJ 4.7, '67 M715, and a '13 JKUR. I bought my '99 100 series just 5 blocks from where I was living in Emporia, about a month hand a half prior to COVID breaking out. It was definitely a daily driver, kid hauler, and road trip rig with 228K on it. It was dirty and needed a bit of love. Between being stuck at home and prepping for a 10-day trip to Montana, I had plenty of work ahead of me to get it up to a good baseline with some amenities for a long road trip with dogs and kiddos. Fast-forward just over 3 years later and it's been by far my favorite vehicle I've owned so much so that I am looking for a 60 to build for more of what I want to do with the right amount of style.

What else to share? I am an Eagle Scout. I am big into all things camping. I teach a bit of bushcrafting, camping, and other miscellaneous outdoors skills. I work in IT. I enjoy a lot of outdoorsy/adventurous activities. I also caught the ADV/moto camping bug after purchasing and rebuilding a Honda XR650L last spring.

I am usually game to come help wrench or hang out for moral support, so feel free to take me up on that.
Where did you live in Emporia? I had no idea we had another TAC member in town! Not that I'm that active in the club anymore, but I do tend to keep tabs on what the gang is up to.

Where did you live in Emporia? I had no idea we had another TAC member in town! Not that I'm that active in the club anymore, but I do tend to keep tabs on what the gang is up to.
I lived all over town in apartments, but was last over by the Taco Bell on 6th for a few years before moving to the KC area. Pretty sure we've bumped into each other in the cycling crowd over the years, long before I acquired my 100 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom