Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin (JC95CL), Welcome. I'm in the JC area, mostly on weekends. If you run into issues with your rig post it up. There are a number of 80 owners here.

Well I've lurked long enough and I'm ready to join TLCA and TAC so I can finally hang out with other enthusiasts now that I've owned my LC for almost two years.
My name is Brendon Riggs and nine years ago my new wife Jessica and I honeymooned in Colorado where I saw several FJ60s and I fell in love again. After focusing all our time and money since then on a first home and starting family, I am finally in a position to join the club. On August 31, 2015 my dad and I flew to SLC Utah and on the next day drove 1,100 miles back to Blue Springs, Missouri. We were prepared for anything to go wrong, but everything went smooth and the only obstacle was the distance.
I have been the proud owner of a mostly original, rust free 1987 beige/tan LC with 195,000 miles for the past year and a half and I love driving and working on it. I have done several little projects thanks to IH8MUD and all of its members, from LED lights to rustproofing, power locks to Saginaw power steering. I have not even had it off road yet but hopefully becoming a member will change that. My daughter, Molina, is also pictured below. She is now five and about to finish Kindergarten.

I hope to meet some of you this Saturday in Belton. Sadly I will not be in my FJ60 because Jim C has my dizzy and carb but at least I'll be in a Toyota.

Thank you

upload_2015-9-3_23-33-35-png.1129142

upload_2015-9-3_23-34-53-png.1129143

upload_2015-9-3_23-35-31-png.1129144

upload_2015-9-3_23-36-15-png.1129145

upload_2015-9-3_23-37-2-png.1129146

Beautiful rig @4wheelfever . Look forward to meeting you and the family Sat.

Well I've lurked long enough and I'm ready to join TLCA and TAC so I can finally hang out with other enthusiasts now that I've owned my LC for almost two years.
My name is Brendon Riggs and nine years ago my new wife Jessica and I honeymooned in Colorado where I saw several FJ60s and I fell in love again. After focusing all our time and money since then on a first home and starting family, I am finally in a position to join the club. On August 31, 2015 my dad and I flew to SLC Utah and on the next day drove 1,100 miles back to Blue Springs, Missouri. We were prepared for anything to go wrong, but everything went smooth and the only obstacle was the distance.
I have been the proud owner of a mostly original, rust free 1987 beige/tan LC with 195,000 miles for the past year and a half and I love driving and working on it. I have done several little projects thanks to IH8MUD and all of its members, from LED lights to rustproofing, power locks to Saginaw power steering. I have not even had it off road yet but hopefully becoming a member will change that. My daughter, Molina, is also pictured below. She is now five and about to finish Kindergarten.

I hope to meet some of you this Saturday in Belton. Sadly I will not be in my FJ60 because Jim C has my dizzy and carb but at least I'll be in a Toyota.

Thank you

upload_2015-9-3_23-33-35-png.1129142

upload_2015-9-3_23-34-53-png.1129143

upload_2015-9-3_23-35-31-png.1129144

upload_2015-9-3_23-36-15-png.1129145

upload_2015-9-3_23-37-2-png.1129146
Looking forward to meeting you and welcome!

Mike (one of many in the club...in fact if you have trouble remembering someone's name Saturday, just go with Mike...probably a 30% chance you'll be right!)

Don't forget to add your rig to the 80 Series Google map! You can see all the 80 series around the world. Add yours!! Need a google log in to add to the map, no google login? PM me and I'll add your rig. Just need your vehicle year any general location.

Click here > 80 Series Land Cruisers of the World!!

Hi!
Finally decided to introduce myself! I've been on the forum for a while now. Just became a member of TAC a couple months ago.

My name is Mark and my wife, Brenda, and I are originally from Iowa, but have lived in OP and Olathe since 1990. We have two boys in high school.

We are both from farms and know what it's like to find a good deal and rebuild it ourselves to make it better for a lot less money.

In addition to the LC, we have a stable of cars:
1959 Studebaker Lark
1955 Ford Customline
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1998 Chrysler Town & Country
1970 GMC K2500 3/4T 4x4

The Studebaker is my first car that I got running when I was 15. I built a 1969 Chevy K1500 4x4 (Johnny Cash Special) when I was in high school (1983), but sold that the month before our oldest son was born. The Jeep was my consolation prize while we worked on raising a family. The 69 Chevy is the origin of "BILT4ME"

I bought my 96 LC (Black w/ chrome package) in Feb. 2012 from my neighbor, it had 196K on it. I came out one Saturday to help him get his youngest son's first car running after sitting in the street for 3+ months gathering mold, mildew, and becoming a swimming pool inside.

They had it for 5-6 years and it was beat on pretty hard. It needed TONS of maintenance. As I was helping him start the truck, he commented that he needed to get rid of it and told me that he'd sell it to me if I was interested and he told me a price. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough, and I owned a LC in about an hour. (I did actually go in the house and ask my wife first, since I was going to be dragging home another vehicle..........)

I brought it home, scraped the window tint from the front windows, fixed the wobbling driver's mirror, drained the water out of the passenger floor pan, and started driving it.

I put on about 12,000 miles before I did anything else to it except plan the work and start the research.

After giving it a relatively decent cleaning (and gathering $6.52 in change) I started the parts search and stumbled upon 'Mud. Since then, whatever I read, I have to do at some point. Fortunately for me, the PO had the HG replaced at Olathe Toyota at 145K.

Since acquisition we have done:
Maintenance:
Window tint scrape
DS Shaky mirror fix
Reman windshield wiper motor
Rebuilt Front Axle with new RCV birfs/axles
All new steering arm studs/nuts/cones (About had a catastrophic failure)
Rebuilt rear axle
All new Powerstop Rotors
All new Powerstop brakes (100 pads in front)
NAPA Gold Calipers
Slee extended SS brake hoses
New tires (GY Duratracs) 285/75-16
McMaster Carr rear gate cylinder lift
New Hood cylinders
New OEM Radiator and MOST of the hoses (Not the PHH......or rear heater...)
New battery
Reman alternator
Reman Starter
New PS pump paperclip hoses
VC Gasket and SP tube seals
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Front Main Seal
Oil Pump Seal
Replaced Fuel Tank
Charcoal Canister Swap (VC120)
Replaced Master Window Switch with Switchdoctor
PIN 7 Mod
CDL switch from re-purposed hazard switch
Removed RS3000
Replaced rear factory hitch
Replaced DS seatbelt w/ PS parts swap
Removed Chrome Damage Multiplier

Upgrades:
AirLift rear air bags
UltraGauge 2
Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block
(4) 100 W off-road lights (halogen)
Badlands 12,000 LB Winch
LED interior and back-up lights from PFran

I bought some replacement wheels and tires from @StucknKS , so I will eventually replace my existing peeling chrome rims with polished Lexus rims. (Tires were for the 70 GMC)

There are still a number of things on the list that NEED to be done, but they can also be looked at as upgrades. I NEED new springs because the RR one is collapsed and now the shock on that corner is failing as well.

As of 8/17/17, it has 260K on it and it is my DD. I'm mostly a mall crawler, but I am looking forward to a few outings. Historically, I'm a 'Mud guy due to HP, limited slip F/R, and wheel speed, but I'm learning to slow down. My family may come along on some of the outings, but our oldest son and I are definitely the car guys of the group.

Now I have to learn how to climb over the rocks here. Just like some of the boulders in life. Slowly.

My Land Cruiser will take me anywhere I want to go..........SLOWLY.

I look forward to meeting more of you as I have already met MANY really great folks.

IMG_20170527_182129475_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the family @BILT4ME! Looking forward to seeing you out on the trail.

There are still a number of things on the list that NEED to be done, but they can also be looked at as upgrades. I NEED new springs because the RR one is collapsed and now the shock on that corner is failing as well.
I have a set of OME medium springs that I pulled off my truck when I added the bumper, let me know if interested. Won't help with the shocks but its a start. I will have medium fronts available once I get a set of heavies for the front to help with the winch thats already installed.

I have a set of OME medium springs that I pulled off my truck when I added the bumper, let me know if interested. Won't help with the shocks but its a start. I will have medium fronts available once I get a set of heavies for the front to help with the winch thats already installed.

Thanks for the offer! I'm looking towards OME 2.5" heavies front and rear when it's all said and done. I have a set of rear springs in hand, so I need to get fronts, shocks and caster plates (maybe).

@BILT4ME great intro! How'd you fix the wobbly mirror?

Yeah, I've seen that one. It doesn't seem ideal to me. I've also seen the JB Weld solution. Frankly, I read a guy who just built up several layers of duct tape and poked a hole in it. I actually like that and may try it. Between two Cruisers, I have four mirrors to fix.

Yeah, I've seen that one. It doesn't seem ideal to me. I've also seen the JB Weld solution. Frankly, I read a guy who just built up several layers of duct tape and poked a hole in it. I actually like that and may try it. Between two Cruisers, I have four mirrors to fix.

I used silicone caulk to adhere it to the back of the unit. I used a block of wood to hold it in and a couple very large rubber bands to hold it in for a couple days while it cured. I don't recall every detail unfortunately.

Newbie here. New to Land Cruisers, so I have a lot to learn. Coming from owning a r50 Nissan Pathfinder for years and now need more room. Looking to build a modest vehicle to travel and explore with. i'm attracted to the amazing build quality and durability. I have an 80 series 1995 Land Cruiser with 166K miles and plan to keep it for as long as i can.

20170914_190008[1].jpg

20170915_064714[2].jpg

@Lookingfor80sLC Welcome to the addiction. These are very capable vehicles that have just a couple of maintenance items to keep up to date and you'll be enjoying it for many miles. We'll be out at Tuttle Creek ORV Area the last weekend of Oct and camping in the Fancy Creek Campground 4 miles north if you want to get out and meet some of us. Should be a new thread posted up soon for those attending. Even stock the 80 is very capable and we'll keep you on the bunny trails but give you an opportunity to jump in an extra seat for more exploring.

Dang, I thought Tuttle was going to be the weekend of Oct. 21, which I could have made.

@Lookingfor80sLC Welcome to the addiction. These are very capable vehicles that have just a couple of maintenance items to keep up to date and you'll be enjoying it for many miles. We'll be out at Tuttle Creek ORV Area the last weekend of Oct and camping in the Fancy Creek Campground 4 miles north if you want to get out and meet some of us. Should be a new thread posted up soon for those attending. Even stock the 80 is very capable and we'll keep you on the bunny trails but give you an opportunity to jump in an extra seat for more exploring.

Thanks for the welcome and heads up about Tuttle Creek ORV. I'll see if I can make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom