Top coat for back of new panels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi, Guys,

I've been prepping new Wolf Steel quarter panels/dog legs/fenders/rockers for my 62. Also was able to source a tail and upper lift gate, which I sanded down to bare metal.

I've primed and sealed the front and back of all sheet metal (I know that some of this will be lost when the parts are welded on, but my barn environment where I do my work and store my parts in humid - I'm in KY). I want to protect the inside facing sides of all new sheet metal. Should these be top coated? If so, what should be used?

I used duplicolor self-etching primer and primer sealer.

As background, this is my first paint/restoration attempt. I'm doing my best.

When everything is sorted, I am going to Monstaline it (please don't jump on me for this ;)).

Thank you in advance for your help.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Sealers are used just before paint to provide an even surface for the topcoat. you’d usually apply a surfacer over an etch primer and then seal after bodywork was done. But, nobody really uses etching primers on cars anymore. If you had used an epoxy, it would provide better adhesion and corrosion resistance and wouldn’t require additional topcoats on inner panels.

Thank you, Splangy.

I really appreciate your response.

I left a step out above. Being accurate the first time is one of the things that I've got to get down on this forum so that I don't waste responders' time. I've screwed that up a couple of times. Please accept my apologies.

Here's exactly what I used/did:
1) Self Etching
2) Two coats of grey surfacing primer
3) Two coats primer sealer
Followed instructions exactly.

This was all rattle canned (I know that the products that I used were not ideal, and that epoxy would have been much better; my budget isn't what one would wish for).

Given the materials that I used, what would you recommend for a rattle can top coat, and when should I apply it?

Thank you again for your help and patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom