Tools needed to drop 86 4runner DS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, for any of you who contributed to my recent flurry of 4runner questions, I appreciate it, and my search is over!

Now I have to get my new baby home.

I'm going to tow it on a dolly, rear wheels down. From what I understand, this involves dropping the rear driveshaft. Since I have a 3 hour drive to go get this bad boy, I really don't want to arrive without the right tools.

So can you help a brotha out? I'd also appreciate any tips you could give me to help me not screw this up.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, it looks like I should just buy a metric socket set, with wrenches from 10mm to 17mm (for access issues).

I guess what's left is tips on the removal; things like keeping parts from rotating, etc. I'm new to the world of 4x4, so I'm still learning what all connects to what, and what I should be watching out for on this tow.

to drop my drive shaft on my 91 4runner all i need is two 14mm wrenches and maybe a hammer if the bolts are real stubborn, i believe they are the same bolt sizes

Two 14mm box wrenches. Usually you can get them lined up so a strong grip can squeeze them together. If they haven't been off before ... good luck. A little PB Blaster would probably help.

Two 14mm wrenches and a third wrench of similar size to use to add torque to one of the 14mm wrenches.

You can just remove it from the rear diff and tie it up to something.

yep two 14's and a 17 or 19 to use as a cheater wrench, plenty of pb blaster as well like pappy said.

Congrats, post some pics when you get her home!

MAKE SURE THE DIFFERENTIAL IS FULL OF OIL!!!!!!!!!! If it isn't, you'll get about 5 miles before the bearings are smoking and completely shot... (ask me how I know...) A 15/16 socket, preferable 1/2 inch drive and the corresponding ratchet. Bring some gear oil just in case. Fill hole is on the rear of the axle about half way up, the oil should be full to the bottom of the hole. :cheers:

Wow, thanks 2ndGen! I never woulda thought about that. I have the list of oils to use for a LandCruiser, but I'm not sure what to use on the 4runner. I'll look in the FAQ, I bet it's in there.

K cool. So, here's my list, for those playing along at home:

Owner has an impact wrench, so I was gonna get a 14mm socket for it (those bolts are RUSTY)
PB Blaster
14mm Wrench / Ratchet socket
24mm Wrench
Bottle of 90 weight gear oil

Tow dolly.

Shrine to the Toyota gods... I've finally found my baby, and I just wanna get it home!

You wont be able to get the impact gun to fit properly at that angle, just stick to two 14 mm wrenches

x2 on the impact/ Ratchet it wont fit between the "U" joint and the pinion flange, and you need one wrench to hold the head of the bolt and one wrench to lossen the nut, two 14mm box wrenches are going to be what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom