Too Much Rust for Age/Mileage?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to purchase my first LC200 and I'm looking at this one in NY with 57k miles. It's been in the tri-state area it's whole life and it has some rust down there, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I signed for it, especially since I won't be able to see it in person. Take a look at these pics and let me know. (I grew up in Jersey, so I naturally don't think it's that bad, but most CA/Southern guys seem to say that to pass).

IMG_2923.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

If you won’t deal with rust in Arkansas I’d wait for one that is more clean.

Different story if you were somewhere rust was inevitable.

Not too bad, but if you're in Arkansas, I'd wait for a southern rig.

Not too bad, but if you're in Arkansas, I'd wait for a southern rig.
Yeah, they're just far and few. Would you rather get a southern vehicle that has more miles but has a cleaner underside? in this case: $45k with 57kmiles vs $40k with 97k miles (both are 2014).

Me personally, I'd go for higher miles, lower rust. I've lost two beloved vehicles to rust, my '85 FJ60 and my '84 mini-truck. Just too difficult and expensive to repair at some point. We know these will go well over 300k with good maintenance, so I have no qualms with higher mileage.

Maybe use the NY one as a haggling point on the AR one.

These are the most rusty spots on the 97k mile one I'm also considering. Looks to just be on the weld.

Resized_Resized_20230530_175432.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20230530_175438.jpeg

The one main thing that kills cruisers is rust. Go higher mileage and clean underside (as long as there is decent maintenance history), and you will thank yourself later.

This right here.

Yeah, they're just far and few. Would you rather get a southern vehicle that has more miles but has a cleaner underside? in this case: $45k with 57kmiles vs $40k with 97k miles (both are 2014).

For context my 2013 has just shy of 200k and is more solid than my 10k mile daily driver. Literally the only rattle inside is the well known passenger headrest.

The common concept of “high mileage” needs to be adjusted for these vehicles.

Where is the second 2014 from?

the second 2014 has been in Oklahoma since new, but the selling dealer is in VA.

the second 2014 has been in Oklahoma since new, but the selling dealer is in VA.
Makes sense, mostly salt-free except for the odd storm coming through. Much of the undercarriage will be rinsed down with subsequent rain.. but the rear bumper area tends to hold on to it.

Again if the service and VIN history was solid, I'd have no issues with a 100k rig. That's actually where mine was when I got it five years ago.. and I don't regret it for a second. Somewhat ironically for the same price.

Just double check the KDSS valve. It's probably fine given the rest of that vehicle but I'd still want to be sure.

My 2014 LX was sold new at Parker Lexus in Little Rock. Spent the first 90k in Oklahoma and wound up at CarMax in Denver.

I think you're looking in the wrong direction - "Go West, young man."

Thanks for all the advice! Really helped me make my mind up. I found a tx rig that is absolutely spotless, with only 12k more miles and the same price.

Thanks for all the advice! Really helped me make my mind up. I found a tx rig that is absolutely spotless, with only 12k more miles and the same price.
Very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom