To modify or not to modify???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '76 fj40, when I got it, it had no motor,tranny, or transfer. I am putting in a chevy 305 w/ an sm420 and 3 spd transfer. also going to run a rockbox. My question is what is to be done with the front shackles? Reverse or leave stock? I have heard conflicting reports, and would appreciate actual feedback from thoes who know. Thanks......

what do youplan on using the rig for,

you will get actual feedback

little more info

Matt-E-Boy said:
I have a '76 fj40, when I got it, it had no motor,tranny, or transfer. I am putting in a chevy 305 w/ an sm420 and 3 spd transfer. also going to run a rockbox. My question is what is to be done with the front shackles? Reverse or leave stock? I have heard conflicting reports, and would appreciate actual feedback from thoes who know. Thanks......
If you are going that far I would do the SOA and shackle reversal. I drove mine for three or four years before the S/R, I shouldn't have waited so long. I drove it SUA with the S/R for ten years. Just finished the SOA I wish I had done it when I did the S/R.

camcruiser13 said:
what do youplan on using the rig for,

you will get actual feedback

little more info
I plan on driving it around town and also wheeling in the Sierra's. I don't want a rig that has to be towed or trailered somewhere. Am planning on adding an ARB locker to the rear, and have 90 % to do P/S conversion.

I agree with rusty_tlc. Do a SOA and the reversal. You also might want to think about a split case or an Orion instead of the 3-speed case. It'll be a weak link behind the V8.

Matt-E-Boy said:
I plan on driving it around town and also wheeling in the Sierra's. I don't want a rig that has to be towed or trailered somewhere. Am planning on adding an ARB locker to the rear, and have 90 % to do P/S conversion.
May as well swap the front knuckles to Toy Truck and do a Hysteer.

Took me around 18 months to do what you have lined out. :D
It turned out okay, I think. Drives great on the street, good off road. Still need to get out on some tougher trails but so far so good.
867d1a51-0c42-4ccb-8d93-79efefbc62ba.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom