1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To modify or not to modify????

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Matt-E-Boy, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Matt-E-Boy

Matt-E-Boy

I have a '76 fj40, when I got it, it had no motor,tranny, or transfer. I am putting in a chevy 305 w/ an sm420 and 3 spd transfer. also going to run a rockbox. My question is what is to be done with the front shackles? Reverse or leave stock? I have heard conflicting reports, and would appreciate actual feedback from thoes who know. Thanks......

2. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    what do youplan on using the rig for,

you will get actual feedback

little more info

3. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are going that far I would do the SOA and shackle reversal. I drove mine for three or four years before the S/R, I shouldn't have waited so long. I drove it SUA with the S/R for ten years. Just finished the SOA I wish I had done it when I did the S/R.

4. Matt-E-Boy

Matt-E-Boy

I plan on driving it around town and also wheeling in the Sierra's. I don't want a rig that has to be towed or trailered somewhere. Am planning on adding an ARB locker to the rear, and have 90 % to do P/S conversion.

5. 78-FJ40

78-FJ40

Media:
    I agree with rusty_tlc. Do a SOA and the reversal. You also might want to think about a split case or an Orion instead of the 3-speed case. It'll be a weak link behind the V8.

6. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    May as well swap the front knuckles to Toy Truck and do a Hysteer.

Took me around 18 months to do what you have lined out. :D
    It turned out okay, I think. Drives great on the street, good off road. Still need to get out on some tougher trails but so far so good.
    867d1a51-0c42-4ccb-8d93-79efefbc62ba.jpg

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">