TLC on UsedVictoria thread... (ongoing) (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll let ya'll know how that Kubota genset runs because I bought it for my house.

Excellent. I hope it works out for you. It looked like it was worth a look.

As mentioned, I’ve got my own Generator. No fuel to go stale... fuel is not so easy to get, but every BBQ on the block has spare fuel ;) sure I don’t have 20 kw, but 3600 watts will look after the important things. Especially combined with a 215 amp alternator and 2000 watt sine wave. Also another 2500 watt generator just in case.

Best of luck getting it running... what was the sellers story?

Excellent. I hope it works out for you. It looked like it was worth a look.

As mentioned, I’ve got my own Generator. No fuel to go stale... fuel is not so easy to get, but every BBQ on the block has spare fuel ;) sure I don’t have 20 kw, but 3600 watts will look after the important things. Especially combined with a 215 amp alternator and 2000 watt sine wave. Also another 2500 watt generator just in case.

Best of luck getting it running... what was the sellers story?

Sellers story was they bought it from family member on Lasquiti Island but never installed, then purchased a Costco propane unit instead. I'll have my mechanic go over it and see if there's any obvious deficiencies that need attention before firing it up. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like there’s a good chance it’ll run. It likely was running when taken out of service. On an island as a primary power source, it likely was well maintained.

Hour meters can't always be trusted either. I found on small marine diesels they are often on with the key...so if you forget and leave the key on, when you go to start it a couple weeks later a couple thousand hours have appeared.

Call that best case scenario :lol:

But even if it's accurate, if it hasn't come apart after 25k it probably won't in the few hundred you'll put on it. :beer:

Sellers story was they bought it from family member on Lasquiti Island but never installed, then purchased a Costco propane unit instead. I'll have my mechanic go over it and see if there's any obvious deficiencies that need attention before firing it up. Fingers crossed.
Good score! I've been installing electrical packages/gensets on mining equipment for years. Yanmar, Cummins, Isuzu, Deutz, 25K hours is nothing. Do a load test, check phase voltages, give it a full service, fluids, filters and hope for the best with the few hours you'll put on it in a power outage. I've got an 20KVA Isuzu with 30K hours and it runs excellent.
Good luck!

Good score! I've been installing electrical packages/gensets on mining equipment for years. Yanmar, Cummins, Isuzu, Deutz, 25K hours is nothing. Do a load test, check phase voltages, give it a full service, fluids, filters and hope for the best with the few hours you'll put on it in a power outage. I've got an 20KVA Isuzu with 30K hours and it runs excellent.
Good luck!
Saw a unit for boats come up recently for 2K with 2800 hours and thought it was done worn out, good to know its good for quite a bit more. Makes sense since it sits at exact rpm day in day out, especially on a dive boat that sits for 10 months.

FYI: My video is too large to import here, but the generator runs and produces 240volts. No load test yet as I will give it a full service before putting any stress on it.

Air filter was very black. Oil also black (diesel...).

Here's what I'm planning to do for a service so if any of you mechanic types can add (or take away) anything please let me know.
- Oil & filter change. Came with new Wix filters.
- Fuel filter. I also installed a pre-filter in-line after the fuel tank.
- Air filter
- Flush rad and fill with new. Rad cap was toast so I'm putting a 13psi one on (seems to be conventional psi?)

I literally hooked up fuel and primed it, slapped a battery on, turned the key and it fired after maybe four revolutions. Hopefully it passes the load test, but I think it was worth the $200 :)

On Facebook market place. Wheel balancer $100, SnapOn hoist $2500, plus a whole bunch of other interesting stuff:
270B0109-7C95-4EAB-9283-8F3525A7AD77.jpeg

Beauty Truck, but priced based on the 'merican market:

Nice 61. Appropriately priced IMHO. I'm even tempted.... I know these are decent at towing too....

Weekend of wrenching and good to go....

@cruiserpilot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom