Title question. Need help ASAP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys - found my 80, but it's in Rhode Island and they don't issue titles!

I talked to PA DOT a couple years ago about registering and titling a car like this in PA and she told me I have to go before a judge and petition them. Has anyone done this?

Any help is appreciated. This thing will sell today for sure.

James

I have no specific experience with this BUT: maybe a Carfax would tell you if there's anything in records about the VIN, and then check Toyota owner's group with the VIN, like you're adding a new car to your account. It will tell you about service history which may hold clues. After that I would think it might need to pass the Enhanced Vehicle Inspection which they do for R titles. I'f its safe and not a cobbled together POS it should pass easily. If the thing about the judge is true and you've done all you could to investigate the history of the VIN I wouldn't see why a judge would say no. But maybe call this guy, he helped me out of some BS with PennDOT and apparently specializes in vehicle law.

http://www.legaldirectories.com/Leyder-Gary-L-282745-Atty.aspx

James,

A lot of New England states don't issue titles for older vehicles. They use a "transferable registration", in Pa it's as good as a title. I have never had any problem titling motorcycles in Pa with an out of state transferable registration.
Ask the seller if he has a transfersble reg. It will note this directly on the registration.

Thanks guys! Greg wish I already knew that. I may have missed out on this one by now. We'll see. Thanks again.

:bang:Guy just texted it doesn't say that anywhere on the reg. What the *#%^ is wrong with RI! :bang::mad:

NJ is even worse, without a title you cannot register. They do not take transferable registrations, even for trailers. I had to register my M416 in Maine which was very painless.

The seller is holding the rig for me while I try to figure this out. Guess I'll be on the horn with the great folks from DMV in two states tomorrow. And maybe Aaron's lawyer :confused:

Taking any and all ideas guys. I just want an 80 like all the cool kids.

@Yellow Jacket We have had to appear before a Judge on several occasions for abandoned titles on vehicles left at our lot. It is a bit of a PITA but is really just a formality. If you present your documentation with purchase price, old registration (from former state in this case), and a bill of sale showing you as the new rightful owner, the judge should sign off on the PennDot docs to get you a PA title. You can research this here:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-toos.pdf

James, I guess it would help if I knew what is so special about this one? Why not look for one down south where there is less salt? And a state where it is more simple to transfer a title?

Talk to a notary about it too

When I saw your post I called a friend who had the same issue with a van he bought without a title. He told me if you have the registration you can take it to a notary or the AAA and they can get it titled for you. I know his van is on the road now so it must be able to get done.

Jim

Starting to get comfortable with doing this. I talked to a local title place and they mentioned the same thing that Greg did about a "transferable registration". I told them the RI version doesn't say that and they still thought it was OK. They just research the RI DMV site to check out the title rules for RI and send that into PA DMV with my paperwork.

Guess it could still go sideways (it is the DMV after all), but sounds like I was stressing too much about it. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I've put in a request to the Yankee Toys guys for someone to put eyeballs on it before I drive 5 hours. Hopefully I get a volunteer.

Starting to get comfortable with doing this. I talked to a local title place and they mentioned the same thing that Greg did about a "transferable registration". I told them the RI version doesn't say that and they still thought it was OK. They just research the RI DMV site to check out the title rules for RI and send that into PA DMV with my paperwork.

Guess it could still go sideways (it is the DMV after all), but sounds like I was stressing too much about it. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I've put in a request to the Yankee Toys guys for someone to put eyeballs on it before I drive 5 hours. Hopefully I get a volunteer.

Good luck with purchase :beer:

Just to update you guys, looks like this deal won't happen. Seller refuses to send me a video of testing out the lockers. Says he is positive they work (even though he also said he hasn't ever tried them in his 5+ years of ownership) and he is afraid the xfer will get stuck in low. Consistent much?

Who knows. Probably a decent chance everything is fine and I'm missing out on a good deal, but I'm not going to drive 10 hours round trip to find out.

I may cool my jets on the search for an 80 for a bit.

@jamarquardt22 I know you're right and several guys have told me that, but one use of the 80 would be a winter time truck. It would really bug me to do that to a SW rig. If I buy one already here, it's already been exposed and I can drive it and not care.

@jamarquardt22 I know you're right and several guys have told me that, but one use of the 80 would be a winter time truck. It would really bug me to do that to a SW rig. If I buy one already here, it's already been exposed and I can drive it and not care.
I get that. But your buying more time and avoiding a potential problem in a few years. My Taco frame rotted from the inside out. I didnt see it coming until it was too late. Not that I could of done anything for it anyway. I did actually pull the bed off and por15 the back part of the frame. As it turned out it was a waist of time. I also suggest buying from a state that has a safety inspections like PA.

Found this thread while searching for info. I'm looking at a parts rig in Massachusetts. A bit of a drive, but the right price for the right components and I can stop in to visit my cousin as well.

The guy says no title, but with the info here I'll have to ask about the transferable registration. As a parts rig, I'm not too concerned about the title but wasn't sure if transporting a vehicle across state lines without a title would get me into issues if stopped. Any other advice?

I'd call the State Troopers in the states you are driving through and tell them what you're doing and ask what you should do.

That just sounds like asking for trouble…

"Smokey Bear, this is the Bandit. I'm 10-8 with a truckload of Coors. Is that ok with you?"

Then don't ask for advice. There is nothing wrong with doing the research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom