Titanium cup ( not that kind) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone using single wall titanium cups or pots for camping? Pros and cons of what you are using? For me durability icampings more of a factor than weight. It needs to be able to go in a fire.

It certainly matters what and how you prepare your foods; however if durability, price, cooking performance & ease of clean-up, stove top and over fire alike trumps weight then the choice is easy: Cast iron and/or carbon steel. At least for all things vehicular or pack train based camping...

I'm going to have to second the cast iron cookware for fire use. Almost all of our evening meals are one pot anyway and though we've moved away from campfire use, we still use CI on our stove. Cleanup is a snap with quality cookware.

upload_2016-1-15_9-44-59.png

I own one of these - kinda expensive for a silly mug but had rebate points at moosejaw that I spent on this.
It's light, looks like it can take a beating. Since it's single walled, I have no problem putting over a fire.
Also bought hot lips to put on the rim so you can drink from it without having to wait for the wall to cool down.
Plus it looks cool.

For cooking over a flame - if weight is no issue - I usually bring a cast iron skillet and a cast iron dutch oven. You can fix a truly respectable meal with just those two - provided you know how to moderate your fire.
For those times that weight does matter - I can easily mix and heat up soup in the titanium mug and just drink it and we have a cooking kit of stainless steel comprised of a 1 liter pot and a pan that goes with us too.

The cheapest pot I ever used was a tin can with a coat hanger bail. It worked great for boiling water and was super light, I also used it for soups, oatmeal and coffee. Durability? Not great, but it was easy to replace and cost nothing. I am not hugely impressed with titanium, the cost vs benefit just doesn't seem to be there for me. But if you like the cool factor go for it, can't say I haven't made decisions based on that before.

Snow Peak 700 for backpacking and the 900 or 1400 for camping. Extremely durable. Couple hundred miles in the back county with with 700 and 900. No issues with cooking on fire or coals.

Shop around or wait for deals. Titanium can be a bit pricey.

Yep, for vehicle camping why waste money on titanium? Cast iron for skillet and dutch oven. I have a stainless billy for boiling water etc.
Stainless double walled mug for drinking - keeps contents cooler or hotter for longer. Also have a stainless (copper clad) cookware set that nests (was cheap) that is good for quickly cooking stuff up on a stove or hotplate over the fire.

Over fire, things will get covered in soot, so cast iron (greasy on the cooking side) goes into bags to keep from getting everything else filthy. Stainless stuff goes on a hot plate that goes over the fire and hot plate goes into its own bag too (for the same soot and grease reasons).

Stay away from Aluminium, waste of time/money, especially on a fire :)

e.g.

bbq2.jpg

cheers,
george.

You don't seem to mind aluminium for beverage containers.:cheers:

Yeah, but I don't try to cook my beer on the fire :) Those are spent containers after evening inebriation from the night before...

cheers,
george.

ALOHA

I MUST SAY , WITH WEIGHT NOT AN ISSUE , CAST IRON SKILLET & DUTCH OVEN ARE MY COOKWARE OF CHOICE. ONCE PROPERLY SEASONED THEY ARE EASY TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.

Last edited:
For light weight I always go with MSR!

since weight isnt an issue, titanium if you want to pay for it,, stainless if you dont, cast iron has that timeless cool factor but nobody makes a small cast iron cup that i know of.

Thanks all. While its living in my 60, I'm really making a bob, hence the titanium question. Probably won't change from stainless since its weight isn't critical in the 60. If I were going to to get titanium I would get snow peak.

Last edited:
Kit came today...wow!!...really a neat kit!

2- pans, spork, ladel, bowl, sponge, lid

20160128_185450.jpg

20160128_185533.jpg

20160128_185635.jpg

20160128_185737.jpg

For single backpacking and hunting i use the snowpeak hybrid summit. it's basically a tall cup with silicon lid and there is a silicon bowl that fits on the bottom. Great for ultra light weight and single excurions

My trucks use a enameled pot with a bowl for a lid and a Coleman single burner, but for going light, I picked up one of the $8.00 canister burners and store it in one of these cups.
GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Set

^ I gave up on enameled anything for camping. Since all my cooking stuff gets thrown into a common wood 'drawer/box' it needs to handle rubbing/banging together during miles/weeks of offroad/gravel road travel. The enamel looks nice new and gives that camping feel - but ends up chipping. Hence I've gone to stainless for anything that isn't cast iron.

So, that's one thing to consider with enameled cookware...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom