tire decisions , Duratrac vs Falken vs Kumho (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its getting close to time to put new tires on the GX. I'm currently waiting on the wheels to get back from the powder coater. So far these three are on my short list. I'm interested to hear any experiences you might have and feel free to share some pics too.

1) 255/75/r17 Goodyear Duratracs
pros: I've ran these on my DD 80 for years and they are kickass in the snow and rain. Fairly quiet and seem to be holding up well.
cons: in this size range they are SL rated. I would hate to take the GX up to Colorado and have a tire gutted by rocks. Also, while I can get a good deal on these, they have to be installed by a Goodyear dealer, which is lame because I get free installation elsewhere.

2) 265/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3
pros: don't know, looks very similar to a KO2. Probably great on wet, snow, dirt, so so in mud. Sturdier construction then the Duratrac.
cons: well, they don't look as cool as the Duratrac, so I guess that's a con.

3) 265/70/r17 Kumho MT51
pros: I've ran the MT71 on my big 80 for two years now. They punish trails and not the other way around. Easily one of the most underrated and overbuilt tires for your money. The 51 is more of a hybrid between A/T and M/T.
cons: Almost 55lbs a piece, did I mention overbuilt. Also, almost no info stateside because they are so new.

I have run a LOT of tires, and the best so far are BFG AT KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers (current). I liked the Duratracs but lost sidewall after sidewall offroad and they wore horribly on road.

I have run a LOT of tires, and the best so far are BFG AT KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers (current). I liked the Duratracs but lost sidewall after sidewall offroad and they wore horribly on road.

Dan, thanks for the reply. The sidewalls were my main concern with the Duratrac, though this truck will see way more pavement then off road. I've always been a fan of the KO2's and they are a very tough tire. In my opinion the amount of marketing dollars invested in them has driven the price well beyond the value of the tire. I think people pay the extra because they are a known quantity.

I've had the Falken's for about 8 months, very happy with them. They look better in person than in pix. Quiet, affordable and round. I'm running 285/70/17 load E on my 4runner. Wait for s Discount Tire ebay sale plus Tread Lightly discount.

I run the 255/75-17 Duratrac on my GX. Purchased them at Discount Tire for a matched internet price plus the road hazard warranty. Two years and over 20k miles without a problem. Picked up a nail in Montana and drove back to Oregon for the repair (crazy, but no Discount Tire where I was traveling or the right time of day). Have not rock crawled with them, but plenty of hunting trips and off road adventures. Just returned from a 400 mile trip with time in the sand. These have worn well and are quiet. During the wonderful wet snows in the Pacific Northwest this past winter, these tires took me every where and anywhere while others struggled. My next set of tires will be the 285/70-17 version of the Duratrac. Very happy with this tire!

The K02 is superior to the Duratrac in every way that I can think of and well worth the extra investment.

+1 and thumbs up for my 315/70R17 KO2's Quiet and good road manners. $200/each from the customizer who did my suspension lift.

Ive got K02s. I love them. I even got my brother to switch to them on his FJ.

I have Duratracs (again) on my 2nd GX. I quite like them but I am also not nearly as hard on my truck as many others are. I would've gone with AT3W's (have heard many good things) but they were 30+ days backordered at the time.

I like the Duratracs on my JKUR, never had a problem. A lot of Jeep guys in New Mexico use them and a lot have had them replaced by Discount because of side wall damage.

I run Dick Cepek Fun Country, made now by Cooper tire, my other choice was Cooper STT Maxx

I have Duratracs (again) on my 2nd GX. I quite like them but I am also not nearly as hard on my truck as many others are. I would've gone with AT3W's (have heard many good things) but they were 30+ days backordered at the time.

What load rating are you running ? I believe the only offering in 255 is an SL which would probably be quite nice for a mostly street tire. 265 allows a fuller range of ratings, but at much higher expense.

I like the Duratracs on my JKUR, never had a problem. A lot of Jeep guys in New Mexico use them and a lot have had them replaced by Discount because of side wall damage.

Sidewall damage is my main concern with these. Though I doubt my wife will beat on them to hard.

What load rating are you running ? I believe the only offering in 255 is an SL which would probably be quite nice for a mostly street tire. 265 allows a fuller range of ratings, but at much higher expense.

Sidewall damage is my main concern with these. Though I doubt my wife will beat on them to hard.

I am running SL.

Well, final decision was made. I ruled out the Duratracs do to the sidewall. I really like them on my red 80 but those are E-rated so I don't worry about the sidewalls. If I went with 265's I could bump up the load range but the cost difference put me in the realm of just about every other tire out there.

Falkens got ruled out, but just barely. I wasn't sure they would be aggressive enough and some of the pictures I've seen they have an odd look to them. I have yet to read anything bad about them and still wouldn't mind giving them a shot on another rig.

Which left the Kumhos, the one tire I was quite confident wouldn't be a gamble. It seems like this brand just isn't that popular in the states, maybe due to lack of advertising or available reviews. I took a gamble buying a set of KL71's for my white 80 series 2 years ago and was very impressed with the performance for dollar. The MT51 is the companines newest "mud terrain" but to me it looks more like a hybrid much as the Duratrac.

IMG_3343.JPG

Some very thick and aggressive looking side biters.
IMG_3346.JPG

ran Kumho on my S2000 for a while, good tires

Very interested in your review of the MT51's.

I will post a thread over in Tire & Wheel tech. I have a current one going on the 71's with tread depth measurements and my personal observations from trips. The design of the 51 is leaps and bounds more advanced then what my 71's have built into them. If these had been available back then I would have them on the 80 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom