Tips on getting spare tire and wheel on and off the roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Palo Alto, California & Squamish, British Columbia
I need to mount my spare wheel on my roof for an upcoming trip because Hefty Fabworks won't complete my rear bumper until mid August. My 315/70R17 spare weights in at 90 pounds.

Anybody have tips on how I to handle this thing safely on and off the roof?

Or should I just throw the spare in the back of truck and put everything else on the top?

arnold.jpg
Strap an Arnold to the bumper . I've battled with a 31/10.50/15 on my '40s roof and didn't enjoy it.

I lowered the tailgate of my 80 but kept the glass closed. Getting the tire to the gate was step #1. Climbing on the gate to pick up the tire was step #2 (a helper is a good idea here). Step #3 is thanking the deity of your choice for not busting the rear wiper or glass.

Just be sure to strap it down adequately once it's up there. I see lots of guys who only use a single strap, poorly fitted, because "it's not going anywhere, anyway, since it's so heavy".

90 lbs on the roof? Just because lots of people do it and it looks "cool" doesn't mean its a good idea. Think about all that weight up there in an invasive maneuver? Plus thats a lot of weight that needs some serious strapping down. Lay it down in the back would be my suggestion.

90 lbs on the roof? Just because lots of people do it and it looks "cool" doesn't mean its a good idea. Think about all that weight up there in an invasive maneuver? Plus thats a lot of weight that needs some serious strapping down. Lay it down in the back would be my suggestion.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely *DO NOT* want it on the top. Cool looking or not. I have to put it somewhere until my Hefty Fabworks finishes my bumper in August. I lifted it a few times just today and I definitely do not want to have to take that thing off the top of my roof if I don't have to.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely *DO NOT* want it on the top. Cool looking or not. I have to put it somewhere until my Hefty Fabworks finishes my bumper in August. I lifted it a few times just today and I definitely do not want to have to take that thing off the top of my roof if I don't have to.

That's good to know. If you don't want it up there, then don't put it up there.

I saw this jack-ass the other day on the 15 going probably about 90 in the fast lane. His lifted truck with tire on top just about flipped when he had to quickly change lanes.

Think about all that weight up there in an invasive maneuver?

You try one of those invasive maneuvers with me and we're going to have a problem. Stay in your own damn lane ;)

As for a 315 going on a roof. Unless you have a roof rack that's a two man job to keep from messing up your rig. Of course everyone is built different. If your 6'2'' and have a decent reach you could just pick the tire up and press it over onto the top. Getting it down you will have to be more resourceful ( see two man job). If you don't have the reach maybe you and a buddy and a step ladder take it over the back of the truck with the tailgate open.

You try one of those invasive maneuvers with me and we're going to have a problem. Stay in your own damn lane ;).

I'm talking about a single car accident swerving to not hit someone or something. Like a deer jumping out or pedestrian being an idiot. I know a guy that hit a person who jumped out of a car on the interstate. Pedestrians can be stoopid. It happens is all I'm saying...

I would secure it flat on the floor in the back. Like you said, it's one trip and its not like piling anything
on top of it is going to hurt it. Even put a piece of plywood over it to smooth out the top. Then just a couple
of straps to hold it in place. You could throw soft stuff, lawn chairs on the roof, lot easier and less stress

I would secure it flat on the floor in the back. Like you said, it's one trip and its not like piling anything
on top of it is going to hurt it. Even put a piece of plywood over it to smooth out the top. Then just a couple
of straps to hold it in place. You could throw soft stuff, lawn chairs on the roof, lot easier and less stress

Yup. I decided to leave the tire in the back. After hoisting the tire around a few times I do not want to risk my healthy back nor my life to get it on and off the roof. I have a 34" KO2, brand new and it smells of rubber. So I'll wrap the tire in a big 65 gallon garbage bag and then just use some ratchet straps to tie it down.

Remember seeing that off road show in Alaska where they were racing all those Toyota's and
Super Jeep and a Defender I think? The guy with the FJ55 had his tire on the roof, so he gets a
flat and throws it off, - then he had to chase it for 50' through the bush cause it's not like anyone
is gonna jump in front of a giant tire bouncing off the roof!

I'm talking about a single car accident swerving to not hit someone or something. Like a deer jumping out or pedestrian being an idiot. I know a guy that hit a person who jumped out of a car on the interstate. Pedestrians can be stoopid. It happens is all I'm saying...

I know what you were referring too. The word is evasive, not invasive, I was making a joke for you ;)

I personally lower my spare off of betsys' rack with a tie down strap.hand over hand.it slides down the sides though if you worry about your finish.two people is a easier way to lift a spare to roof.no pooping pants that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom