Time to upgrade engine! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
A little back story, 12-15 years ago I had someone do a head gasket for me. Ever since then it has run hot. I've replaced everything that touches liquid. Some times multiple times(radiator- finally went with OEM). I finally just watched my temps rise and drove it the past decade. It can get to 220 quite often, usually sits around 205. Something else crazy, if the ac temp control switch was set to cool and I adjusted it to hot air, my temp would climb 15 degrees. Once I went back to cool air, the temp would drop. I could do this back a forth and watch the engine temp fluctuate accordingly. My ac has not worked for the past couple of years. I decided to get that fixed. I took my 60 to get that done. After discussing it with the mechanic we discussed my temp issues. We decided to replace the head gasket again. It's been 12 years, maybe it was put on wrong whatever.

I get phone call the next day with bad news. Crack in the cylinder wall. Check out these pictures! Look at the valves.
IMG_20210319_084040.jpg
IMG_20210319_084105.jpg

Options:

Rebuild?
Used 2f?
LS engine?

I am leaning towards an LS engine, but that is spendy.

Also, just 6 months ago I had a 5 speed put it in.

A mouse could crawl through that hole .
If you want to drive a Toyota Landcruiser and the power of the 2F doesn't bother you too much, replace the engine with another 2F. Keep it all stock.
If you want to drive something that looks like a Landcruiser, put a GM engine in it. If you can afford it.
I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a more powerful engine, it was time to replace the vehicle- not the engine.

If you want (good) advice, you should probably give some more background info.
How long can the truck be unavailable?
What do you (want to) use the vehicle for?
Do you have a budget?
There are a lot of factors for you (or someone trying too give you advice) to weigh

It's not a daily driver, I use it for camping/hunting/outdoors plus random errands throughout the week.
To be honest, I never really mind driving slow, I chuckle to myself as 18 wheelers and RVs pass me going up hills. I don't mind the 2f, I kind of enjoy it.

With that said, I feel like if I have to replace it, do I want to go with another 2f?

I can see both scenarios. Replace it with a 2f and regret it later, or replace with more power and regret that too.

Funny, I have this on my mind. I just bought this shirt last week. As I have been thinking this over today. The thought popped into my head. If I replace the engine with something else, can I still wear it.
Maybe I am more or a purist then I thought.

The smallest commitment of time & money will probably be putting a used 2f bottom end in & reassembling it (assuming the cylinder head is good to go). This will get you back on the road sooner & give you some more time to weigh out options.
I known good 2f long block would be the second smallest commitment IMO.
Good luck, may the cruiser spirits be with you

A 2FE with a 5 speed is a very nice combo.

If you’re doing the conversion yourself - LS or Vortec Small Block.

If you’re paying for the work - stick a used 2f in.

If you want to drive the truck again in 2021 - stick a used 2f in

My brother rolled his 80 after rebuilding his engine a few months ago. It's a 93. How hard would it be to put that engine in?

Bonus, maybe I get his locked axles also.

Well, s***...you already bought the tshirt so you really should just stick with the 2f and do a 5 speed while you are doing it. You use your truck like I use mine so stock is going to hold value better and you will be chasing less problems while you enjoy the truck.

You can always compromise and put a Sniper set up on a rebuilt 2F. That with the 5 speed should be pretty peppy and you still get to wear the T shirt :)

Get a 2F short block, Have your head, distributor and carb rebuilt and drive it for another 200,000 miles. If you are looking for more have the head milled to raise the compression and call Tacoma Cams for their 250 set up.

Does anyone here ever swap to an LS engine and regret it?

Just have a sleeve put in that cylinder, bore it if needed and put it back together. You can dress a 2f up but it will never be more than 175 ish hp without serious mods or forced induction. If all the other bores are within spec and the bearing / crank look good, fix what's broken and put it back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom