Timbrens - work great for towing but... (FYI and advice needed) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tow a 5,500 dry weight travel trailer with my `13 LC. Without the AHC of the LX (and my previous 2nd gen Sequoia), I added Timbrens SES to level the ride and add additional support to the rear.

Install: Install was straightforward. Removed existing bump stops on the frame and added the Timbrens. The existing bolts were fairly difficult to remove, presumably due to the exposure to dust and sediment and some light corrosion. I was able to bust loose but I was very nervous about busting a bolt. They went back in slightly better after I greased the heck out of the bolts. The only concern I had is that the driver side Timbren rests against the spring - the mountain bracket is within millimeters of the spring while the Timbren is in full contact. The passenger side still has at least a centimeter or two clearance. See pics.

Performance: There is supposed to be 1/2 - 1 inch clearance from the bottom of the Timbren to the axle. After lower the vehicle, the Timbren is resting on the axle. Because of this, I could feel the Timbren engaged under zero additional load. It does provide a firmer and bouncier ride all the time. At first I didn't mind this, but it's starting to now get old after a week. When towing, the Timbren does keep the ride level (with additional help from a WD hitch) and provides more control - I'd say towing performance is as good as promised.

Problems: The biggest issue is the contact with the driver-side spring. Under uneventful driving, this doesn't seem to make a difference, but under moderate cornering and over some bumps, the spring does catch on the mounting bracket for an unsettling ping and vibration. This was more noticeable while not towing and over bumpy/rocky dirt roads, but it occasionally did the same while towing. And, as mentioned early, the unloaded ride is more bouncy than I prefer. I suspect the Timbren rests full-time on the axle because of some sag in the stock spring (117k miles).

Next steps: I'd like to keep the Timbrens on, but I will need to remedy the contact with the spring. Here is what I can do - thoughts welcome:
1) I can investigate upgrading to new springs with less sag and hopefully, at the same time, eliminate contact.
2) Remove Timbrens altogether and go back to stock (until I do a full suspension upgrade later)
3) I can modify the Timbren brackets and grind down to eliminate contact - but the Timbren itself will still be in contact with the spring
4) Airbags - I originally was going to install airbags to accomplish similar towing performance. However, after talking with Slee, and the problems they've seen that reinforced my own skepticism, I decided to avoid them.

If money was no object, I'd do a full suspension upgrade while modifying the Timbrens and eliminating contact with the spring and, when unloaded, the axle. But what are ideas on what is best to do short-term for less moola? Would new springs help?

Last edited:
Pics posted here (trying to anyway...)

B1EDED2A-106C-4806-AF60-41D9A6941FF5.jpeg
11C55F1A-8CC1-4DBA-9D5C-4C2DB234FD3B.jpeg
8589DB83-682A-4CC5-829C-49CE9890014E.jpeg
CD7F5276-0CC0-4F40-A740-D90BACE6B0F6.jpeg
D0E02DB9-B9C5-409B-9A1F-CAD69E1EA00E.jpeg

My guess would be the springs sagged over time. With the rear being a 5 link suspension, the axle will naturally move left and right relative to vertical travel due to the panhard bar.

To remedy the height you could swap the springs for some OE take offs in better shape or something more HD. To correct the contact I would look into an alignment for the rear axle to see how far it’s shifted to the passenger side. Then add an adjustable panhard bar to correct its location.

I'm running the Timbren SES as well, but I'm on OME springs. I don't have any interference. It might be worth making some phone calls to see if OME has a factory height coil that has a tighter wrap.

Very helpful - thanks. I’ll investigate. Honestly never considered alignment could impact as well.

I'm not sure alignment will help in this case as I don't believe there is any ability to adjust the pan hard bar last I looked. A solid axle rear doesn't have many adjustment "knobs" other than the geometry that is built in.

Curious that the Timbrens rub on one side more than the other.

In regards to using Timbrens for added load handling. Not sure this would be my first choice as its primary job is as a jounce stop, aka bump stop. It's not really great at acting as an active load spring for a controlled ride.

4) Airbags - I originally was going to install airbags to accomplish similar towing performance. However, after talking with Slee, and the problems they've seen that reinforced my own skepticism, I decided to avoid them.

Curious what Slee's input was in regards to using the bags? Was it a reliability thing? Many seem to use them on the boards for added tow support. Biggest benefit is being able to adjust them for load, yet completely revert to the stock ride when solo.

New higher rate springs will give you the added load control and stability, yet they will compromise solo ride quality. Another option is to upgrade the shocks only. Perhaps by having additional compression and rebound damping, it may get you the control you're looking for.

Do you already have significant WD tension dialed in? So long as you're not past 50% front axle load restoration (FALR), may be worth going up one more link/shim to see if it does what you want.

Slee mentioned off roading impacted reliability of the airbags - not related to towing. Which played well into my skepticism. 😉

I’ve now got the hitch dialed in pretty good- exactly 50%. I could go up one more and see...

I may try a new and stiffer spring but I don’t want a rough ride. Might go for progressive springs and see what that does. Maybe OME 2866.

UPDATE: I contacted etrailer where I purchased - they reached out to Timbren who then contacted me, asked additional measurement, and are sending me replacement Timbrens and different brackets.

Excellent support from both companies.

More to come...

Bringing back this thread to share a couple of updates with Timbren SES. Top notch customer service.

Similar to @ColoradoSequoia , the standard frame mount that came with the SES interfered with the OME2722 springs I have. Like - so badly - I didn’t even leave the driveway. Can’t imagine how unsettling the “ping and vibration” must have been!

I purchased from etrailer as well, but when I saw the issue above, I called Timbren sales and support. They overnighted an offset frame mounting bracket for the SES and they fit perfectly.

I’d estimate there is about 1 inch of clearance for the new offset bracket. Also I’d comment that the bracket shape itself is different enough to also help with the spacing.

I’ll be hooking up a travel trailer in a few days. Will report back on any observations from the SES but am not expecting any issues.

C989371D-A98C-4434-B615-1740662113E5.jpeg

11D25EF9-BC0D-4EEF-939C-1DDD3CED7E58.jpeg

07162819-A1F3-44E1-80C7-D13792E07EE7.jpeg

2B86B8B2-BEF8-41EC-8202-5C05AC44CA03.jpeg

9495396C-597D-4F2F-90D4-FCC250719228.jpeg

Not sure why etrailer is still selling the incorrect bracket - Timbren seems to know the correct fix.

Glad you got it sorted out - yeah the pinging is unnerving!

Closing the loop here...I had a similar positive experience as reported by @kevinfoutch.

All works beautifully. Timbren CS is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom