Throttle sticking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTown

TLCA Member #29560
Threads
My throttle does not want to come all the way back when I take my foot off. The return spring is in place at the throttle. Maybe I need a stronger spring? Is there another spring at the pedal? I have to either give the pedal a tap or actually pull it back the last little bit to get down to normal idle. Link to YouTube video below.

Sticky Throttle

Check to make sure accelerator cable isn't sticking.

Make sure the linkage is oriented correctly. The long piece between the bell crank and the carb side linkage can be backwards and cause what you're experiencing.

seems there was a thread similar to this 2-3 month ago

Does it feel like the cable is sticking/binding, or does the resistance occur in your carburetor linkage?

Long-winded reply warning:

It seems like there are a lot of things that can make the throttle sticky. Maybe yours is different but I had this issue off and on for years and did not figure it out until I had my carb rebuilt by Marlin.

The hanger on the carb for the throttle return spring was bent, not a lot, but enough. Probably like that when I got it, and the throttle would stick like you described every so often. I did all kinds of s*** to fix it (not realizing the hanger was slightly bent), including lubing the linkage, replacing all the springs, and even shortening the long shaft on the linkage. None of it really worked.

I pulled the carb (for other reasons) and shipped it to Marlin, and when it came back the hanger was even more bent. Not his fault - it was packed well but FedEx really threw the box around and that hanger is really vulnerable.

ANYWAY… I re installed the carb and ran it like this and it really stuck, right from the get go. Finally noticed the bend and once I straightened it out (should be plumb and level on it’s two planes), the problem went away, never to return.

PS: I also made sure the return spring at the carb was the actual OEM spring. I think this matters. It’s NLA but I got a used one from Cruiserparts for $10.

Pictures would help a lot. I’ll add some when I get a minute.

Adding some pics for @FishTown:

Here's a nice clean rebuilt carb with a bent spring hanger, courtesy of Fedex. Yeah I should have noticed but that hanger was bent when I got the truck in 2010, so it never really occurred to me. If you have your carb off and it's moving around the garage, and especially if you ever ship it, this gets bent really easily.

IMG_2482.jpg

Here's the OEM return spring that attaches there:

Last edited:
Long-winded reply warning:

It seems like there are a lot of things that can make the throttle sticky. Maybe yours is different but I had this issue off and on for years and did not figure it out until I had my carb rebuilt by Marlin.

The hanger on the carb for the throttle return spring was bent, not a lot, but enough. Probably like that when I got it, and the throttle would stick like you described every so often. I did all kinds of s*** to fix it (not realizing the hanger was slightly bent), including lubing the linkage, replacing all the springs, and even shortening the long shaft on the linkage. None of it really worked.

I pulled the carb (for other reasons) and shipped it to Marlin, and when it came back the hanger was even more bent. Not his fault - it was packed well but FedEx really threw the box around and that hanger is really vulnerable.

ANYWAY… I re installed the carb and ran it like this and it really stuck, right from the get go. Finally noticed the bend and once I straightened it out (should be plumb and level on it’s two planes), the problem went away, never to return.

PS: I also made sure the return spring at the carb was the actual OEM spring. I think this matters. It’s NLA but I got a used one from Cruiserparts for $10.

Pictures would help a lot. I’ll add some when I get a minute.
Good tech response. I plan on pulling the linkage out and cleaning it all up and getting new springs. I’ll go ahead and pull the carb too to get a close look at the hanger for the spring. Thanks.

I keep looking at your "missing parts" video and it's really hard to tell what is going on there. Yes there is a hole in your firewall, but I can't really tell what's going on with the upper arm of the accelerator pedal. It looks like there might be something that may be restricting movement.

Below is a picture of my accelerator pedal linkage. The spring is circled in blue. I have a hand throttle accessory which is the cable attached at the top circled in red. If you don't have the hand throttle then you won't have the cable. There will just be a hole at the upper end of the pedal linkage.

Since the accelerator linkage is rods, you should be able to work the throttle plate at the carburetor and see if you can get the problem to reproduce. Then disconnect the linkage from the carb and test again. keep working in this fashion until you find where the problem is.

1667768408727.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom