Thoughts on keeping 37" tires or downsize? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought my beautiful rig with 37" MTRs. It will be used only for 1000 miles per year for outdoor recreation, camping, fishing. Would you guys keep the 37" tires or downsize to 35"?

I think it depends on if the truck has enough lift for the 37's and how it drives in the conditions you plan to use it in.

Big tires have a negative effect on braking and handling and can cause wear and tear on the driveline and steering.

Compared to 33" tires, all I see is downside risk with 37s.

It all comes down to how much you really need a couple more inches of ground clearance.

Big tires have a negative effect on braking and handling and can cause wear and tear on the driveline and steering.

Compared to 33" tires, all I see is downside risk with 37s.

It all comes down to how much you really need a couple more inches of ground clearance.
The braking is horrible and it's the main reason why I'm thinking of downsizing. I had 35" tires on my jeeps and was more than happy. I don't need the big tires on my cruiser but they came with the truck.

Pictures!

I think it depends on if the truck has enough lift for the 37's and how it drives in the conditions you plan to use it in.
The truck definitely has enough lift for the tires but I don't need the large tires for what I want to do. I'm looking to trade someone for their 35" tires.

Pictures!

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

I was just curious because depending on your gearing if you go smaller you may end up being geared to low. I'd guess if it runs okay at road speed (not high rpms) with 37s you prob won't have too many issues going down to 35s.

I was just curious because depending on your gearing if you go smaller you may end up being geared to low. I'd guess if it runs okay at road speed (not high rpms) with 37s you prob won't have too many issues going down to 35s.
Yeah the truck runs fine at road speeds. A little slow to start and won't win races but seems fine with the 37 tires.

I think 33x12.5's are a great size. Manageable on road, good stance, and good clearance.

What size are your wheels? They look like 20's!

Brakes are horrible compared to what? What's horrible about them?

If you're going to downsize move to 35s. That's about as small as you want.

Brakes are horrible compared to what? What's horrible about them?

If you're going to downsize move to 35s. That's about as small as you want.
Brakes are only about 20% of stopping power where they should be. Driving down the road at 45mph and I have the brake pedal on the floor of the truck and barely slowing down. I've checked pads and they have good amount of life on them still but changing them anyways. Also doing a new master cylinder and fluid to see if that helps

Yeah, sounds like you have a malfunctioning brake system. Before you do anything I'd at the very least flush the fluid.

If you're going to do a new master cylinder upgrade to a T100 master cylinder (search for it). It'll give you a firmer pedal for now but will support larger calipers down the road.

Yeah, sounds like you have a malfunctioning brake system. Before you do anything I'd at the very least flush the fluid.

If you're going to do a new master cylinder upgrade to a T100 master cylinder (search for it). It'll give you a firmer pedal for now but will support larger calipers down the road.
Thanks for suggesting the T100! I'll look for it and get it.

Thanks for suggesting the T100! I'll look for it and get it.

4Runner calipers on the front .. and did you still have drums in the rear end ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom