Thinking about getting this 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
‘97 40th Anniversary 80 Series for $7000 aud. It’s a petrol, but going to be putting in an FTE or 1HDT that i’ve got my eyes on, for around 4-6 grand. Just a few bits here and there, nothing major, all pretty common for an 80 series. What’s all your thoughts?
F14CB870-373A-4CFF-B8A9-2A6143B1A85C.jpeg
80110FA1-0D02-499B-AD98-EDFB8D7E6D45.jpeg
78DF29DA-AE03-4F51-ABD1-D9B108EBE728.jpeg
190195D7-F9FA-4346-8677-8C1F8CE5AF77.jpeg

My initial thoughts are it is cheap as chips. Thats about $5k USD. Its a nice truck but i guess petrol prices with you make it uneconomical hence the low price.
Is it just the photos or is it sitting really low?

My initial thoughts are it is cheap as chips. Thats about $5k USD. Its a nice truck but i guess petrol prices with you make it uneconomical hence the low price.
Is it just the photos or is it sitting really low?
Yeah, no one in aus wants a petrol either, only the 1hz or 1hdt, doesn’t matter for me though as i’ll be putting in an fte or 1hdt.

No sunroof, no slider RR windows, cloth seats….hey, it ticks alot of boxes esp if you plan to yank the motor.

Any accidents or funky electrics?

How are the FR buckets under those covers?

-Aside from that, it’s got alot of potential & a blank canvas to work from.

No sunroof, no slider RR windows, cloth seats….hey, it ticks alot of boxes esp if you plan to yank the motor.

Any accidents or funky electrics?

How are the FR buckets under those covers?

-Aside from that, it’s got alot of potential & a blank canvas to work from.
No serious accidents, only a few little dints here and there, all electrics seem to be working fine apart from the cheap aftermarket radio. The seats are fine, just a little stain on the passenger side seat.

No serious accidents, only a few little dints here and there, all electrics seem to be working fine apart from the cheap aftermarket radio. The seats are fine, just a little stain on the passenger side seat.

IDK how the AU market is (and the poverty pack -esque / super desired in the USDM) -has 40th AE stickers.

-not saying it isn’t, IDK jack of the AU 80’s but I didn’t see manual window cranks so it could easily be anything.

If you’re buying for the body & frame/susp - then I dig it for a blank canvas if I lived in a RHD country.

A function check of all the wipers, windows, locks, cruise, A/C & HVAC panel - all the crap wired to the cabin harness - after that formality I’d be peeling greenbacks out from the moneyroll.

Did it have factory diff lockers by any chance (either way, it has great potential) - and if you’re satisfied with the little dings & its’ never hugged a tree/car/whatever - from your description it’s a buyer - esp like the white & late grey/blue fabric it’s wearing.

Last edited:
Mate 7 grand is a bargain. But I think your mad swapping a diesel into it.
If you want the 1hdt I'd save up and buy a factory one. I'd be incredibly surprised if it come out cheaper swapping in the diesel in the long run, and you don't get any of the headaches of an engine swap. It is a massive project even with all the mounts etc bolting straight up.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the 1fz-fte. It drinks fuel like a fish but it goes like the clappers when you lay your boot into it. Again the money you save on fuel with swapping in a diesel will never catch up to the money it cost to swap it in.
The only disadvantage it has is deep river crossing and I've had water well over my bonnet and never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom