things to check when buying a '81 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

For those of you playing along at home, I found an '81 BJ40 in great shape and everything I'm looking for. I'm new to these trucks and I'd like to ask for advice on what I should look for when inspecting it. I plan to take it to a Toyota Dealer/Mechanic and have it inspected professionally. What are the things I should have them look for?

I'm assuming I want to check for drips/leaks. Should I have the compression on each cylinder checked? Is there something that commonly goes wrong with these trucks that I should look for? I'm well aware of the rust problems they have and I know how to, and where to check for that in the body, but what about the frame?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Vegas

Yup, thanks, found it almost immediately after posting. :censor:

Looking at you A/C option in BJ42 thread I would a lot of homework on the one you linked and on the 40 series in general before spending that much money. Fancy new paint does not let you know anything about the previous life of the vehicle or how it was restored or where it was restored. Being in a Gulf state good chance it came from Central or South America. Many of those were used hard and not always restored to the quality you would expect at this price range. Would be curious what market it's from with items it put together with.

Research and absorb as much as much as possible on your own prior to utilizing a "Toyota dealer/mechanic" to inspect the vehicle.
The more you know what to look for and more importantly what to look out for-the less the chances of you buying a vehicle and then posting pics here asking whether or not you got burnt after the fact :)
It's only a truck.......a little research goes a long way........they ain't that complicated :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom