The Ultimate 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across this and I think it looks bad ass overland vehicle. Expect to pay a premium for this. I am talking Mercedes G wagon price. Then again, you could do that with a Tundra just like Expedition Overland team and I think you would probably be under $80K

Patriot Campers Supertourer LC200 Landcruiser 200 Series

lc200-full.jpg

Looks cool, but for the price you should get a lot. They do seem to offer trailer kits to tow behind.

I’d rather have a Maltec 200 if I’m being picky. :D

I find this iteration much less compelling than the basic idea behind theMsltec. This iteration looks like a crew cab pickup with a super short bed unit. If I wanted that...there are zillions of truck bed kits to throw on the back for relatively little $$. It’s true that it wouldn’t be a cruiser...but man, that rear is tiny...and is completely separated by the second row from its appearance.

The Maltec basic idea makes the truck into a mini motor home...with full interior access without walking to & entering a rear portion.

Both options are out of my $ league...but the Maltec is far more appealing IMO.

Aside from coil rear, I don't see the cost benefit over something like a Tundra with custom tray or camper, for those of us stateside with many choices in full-size trucks. Especially since you'll need to chop up an $80k vehicle. But, whatever tickles your pickle.

Aside from coil rear, I don't see the cost benefit over something like a Tundra with custom tray or camper, for those of us stateside with many choices in full-size trucks. Especially since you'll need to chop up an $80k vehicle. But, whatever tickles your pickle.

That’s what I was basically saying too.
Double cab LC pickup with utility back for an extra $100k? Hmm. I don’t see it.

Agree with @Markuson and all of you. Definitely not going for something like this especially with the price advertised of $120K USD. If I have the interest I would start with a Tundra just like what Expedition Overland team did which is basically the same for way less.

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.47.03 PM.png

Or build another Samson :)

Last edited:
Not sure if Patriot / PCOR has released prices yet, but talking with someone in the know, that Flatbed conversion fully loaded will probably be north of $40,000. So truck, 45k ish, add all the BS that we all have, 20k ish, plus the 40k or more... Still a chunk of change!

What it adds that no current truck can is ibvioudly the killer strength and 4WD system that is an LC.

Beyond that... Just seems like with the added wheel base...you really give up a lot...unless you’re never in rocks, tight turns or high-center obstacles.

There's no way your chopping up a 200 (to include frame lengthening) and installing that conversion for any less than 100k, plus the cost of the vehicle. But if you've got the extra dollar signs, want to be the cool kid at Overland Expo, and it's what you want, go for it.

While Tundras are cool, it does not have the 4WD chops that the 200-series has. Consider that the tundra doesn't even have full time 4WD. Meaning its 2WD primarily. With a locking center transfer case to enable 4WD for low traction situations. It can't use that on tarmac as it doesn't have a center differential.

Tundras do mod their vehicles to add full time 4WD ability. Either by retrofitting the LC transfer case. Or a Sequoia 4x4 transfer case. The sequoia unit allows for selectable full time 2wd or 4wd.

While Tundras are cool, it does not have the 4WD chops that the 200-series has. Consider that the tundra doesn't even have full time 4WD. Meaning its 2WD primarily. With a locking center transfer case to enable 4WD for low traction situations. It can't use that on tarmac as it doesn't have a center differential.

Tundras do mod their vehicles to add full time 4WD ability. Either by retrofitting the LC transfer case. Or a Sequoia 4x4 transfer case. The sequoia unit allows for selectable full time 2wd or 4wd.

Right. That’s the part no Tundra can equal.

Still, I just don’t see the draw to a super long wheelbase LC with a separate short bed. Too short to sleep in... I guess it would be great if you need to wheel with 4 passengers all the time... I dunno.

I don't see a part-time case being an issue considering this type of vehicle and how it'll be used, at all. Especially with a Tundra at 1/2 the price. Spend a couple grand an swap in a full-time case if it'll help you sleep at night. But buyers aren't doing 6 or 7 rated trails in Moab in these things so it's irrelevant.

For less than both those options I think I have the ultimate combo

kk.JPG

s1.JPG

Most the 'favored' alternatives mentioned in this thread are available to the Australians... yet these types of conversions sell quite well over there.

FYI, a new Tundra is AUD$120k in Oz... and all the American trucks (Imports) are also quite pricey. Plus, the Tundra is only available with a gas engine. Their LC200 is available with that sweet Turbo Diesel V8.

Last edited:
Most the 'favored' alternatives mentioned in this thread are available to the Australians... yet these type of conversions sell quite well over there.

FYI, a new Tundra is AUD$120k in Oz... and all the American trucks (Imports) are also quite pricey.

I think a build like this makes a lot more sense in Australia. They have a lot of loooooooooong roads over there that aren't majorly obscructed. Yes, they have trees to squeeze through too...but a lot of trails in the outback are more desert in nature, where a super-long wheel base isn't a major issue. Similar to African savannas. For a specialized terrain like that? It's probably perfect. Or...an alternative to pulling an equipment trailer where you also want two full rows of seats.

For many of us here, I think that lengthened wheel base would be pretty limiting. Forget much of Moab, and perhaps even otherwise-mild Black Bear tight turns, for example.

On the other hand...if it meant you could leave the trailer at home, then I can see that being an improvement.

Last edited:
Having visited Australia several times, I completely agree with you. The vehicle in the original post is only available in Australia and I don't think the subsequent posts reflected that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom