the "SMORR Fall Crawl'n with TAC" planing thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tech?

Unfortunately it's been confirmed I can't make it to the Fall Crawl. The :princess: gave me permission, but none of my family could come. And when looking at all the running around my wife would have to do with the kids, I would feel guilty.

However, I'm wondering for future reference, what is tech about? Where can I find the rules to know my rig passes before I get to an event and find out it doesn't.

We can also help you go thru a rig and get it safe.. sometimes it's not that the club or inspector is being a jerk it's just that it's unsafe for vehicle and driver to have it out on the trails.

Example.. I failed a truck at Cruise Moab one year. The poor guy had put his tie rods on backwards. It's actually a quite common mistake but won't allow enough threads to put the safety cotter pin in the relay rod. The taper is the same just hits on different parts of the end of the rod on the relay rod on a 40,. When I explained it he decided I was wrong and drilled a hole thru his tie rod and thru the nut holding the tie rod end on, thus making it even weaker. whatever, someone else at Cruise moab went ahead and passed it.. I don't offer my services anymore unless I have permission to point out what's wrong.

I've seen trucks that people just got done "restoring" go trail riding only to find out that their "brake" upgrade couldn't hold a hill and the truck came crashing down the hill smashing 2 years of work to bits.

And the main reason it's for our insurance purposes.

If you have questions on your truck passing, I'll offer to go over the truck and offer my thoughts on what is and isn't safe or correct. .

Kelly might wanna kill me at times but as soon as I asked him if his kids were going to ride in the truck he respected brake upgrades and safety upgrades..

Remember it's way safer to stop and steer than it is to go..

I heard a story about someone being refused cause their highlift jack was still in it's packaging and had never been used. Certainly an extreme. The other extreme is no inspection at all, which I've been to one event south of here that went that route. I didn't like that route. That route had me hiding in the woods to stay way from 12' whip attennas.

There is a middle ground, and hopefully the inspectors are in that middle ground. I don't like seeing bungie corded batteries, cause if I'm leading a group, and that vehicle tips or even takes a good bounce, and that battery shorts out, and I have to do something with that vehicle, it puts me at risk. I'm kinda paticular on batteries cause I have a pair of glasses with a burn in them from a battery shorting accident - had I not had glasses on, I'd likely be blind in one eye. So if an inspector is real strick in one area, it might be cause they have some personal experience in it.

We discussed it pretty intensely for GATOR. The TLCA inspection presumes a certain type of event. Like head lights and turn signals - are they really needed at SMORR which is private property and not on any sort of public road? Maybe not. Course, if you make people adhere to that in the park, you know they're not likely driving into town with lights out causing a bad rep either. Actually, reading through that I'm surprised they don't specifically call out battery tie downs. Did I mention some people get locked onto one thing based on experience? Does everyone really need a tow strap if your in an offroad park and never more than 5 min from someone who has one?

We did inspection for SCCA Rally-Cross too, and it was the same type of stuff, is this a safe vehicle,? Is there something that is going to hurt a driver, pasenger, spectator, or the guy running up to help after an accident?

I always look at passing tech as a good time to check all the things i've probably overlooked, or neglected (parking brake is easy to neglect on an auto). If you're nervous and lucky, you'll have someone like Erik who's willing to go over it in advance. If you've not had a chance to do that and you're unsure, get to tech early, if it's something fixable, there are always people willing to help you blead your brakes, or flip tierod ends (or drill through them :) ), and the earlier you find the issue the better chance you'll have getting through tech before your run leaves.

Dang, I wish I was going....

Two Old Crows: extra attendee, 1 driver, no passengers. first name Chris. PM me for email, last name, phone number, and address if you need it. One T-shirt, medium. One BBQ ticket. 1993 Toyota 4Runner.

I had a rig with bad (or should I say, no) brakes come barreling backwards down a trail directly at me. Fortunately the driver had the presence of mind to choose a tree in front of me instead of my rig to use as a means of stopping.

We just want to do what we can to make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Do we have a final head count? I'll be down either Thursday evening or Friday before Noon.
I am not dragging my trailer smoker.......won't fit, but do we have any way of heating the pans of "Q"?
The Traeger works well;)

I also wanted to offer my flatbed trailer to serve off of/cook off of like we did for GATOR for the 5-way chili dinner if anyone needs it.

I think rob has a huge propane cooking platform.

God willing......I will have a flatbed and I will bring my 10x20 canopy and some tables to serve from. I have asked for an RV site so I'll have electricity and running water. May bring my "kitchen", too.

Okay folks, my computor is down so I have limited acces right now. Am at the library and they limit your time.
Cory, I think registration at Google is still open if your driver wants to do that. Otherwise I can get the info ( paper form) at the event. Just give me name so I can do an envelope with his stuff ahead of time.
Ed, I posted nos. on the meal planning sight. Add one dinner per Cory. Yes, Peggy has a large propane setup. It is a little difficult to get low heat on it so would have to keep an eye on the food, but shoud be doable.

Okay folks, my computor is down so I have limited acces right now. Am at the library and they limit your time.
Cory, I think registration at Google is still open if your driver wants to do that. Otherwise I can get the info ( paper form) at the event. Just give me name so I can do an envelope with his stuff ahead of time.
Ed, I posted nos. on the meal planning sight. Add one dinner per Cory. Yes, Peggy has a large propane setup. It is a little difficult to get low heat on it so would have to keep an eye on the food, but shoud be doable.

Have him do the paper at on-site reg. Name for the envelope is Chris Rogers.

Well, I think I have plenty of meat. Do we need plastic knives/forks/spoons? What about cups? Napkins/paper towels, etc? I'll be happy to source any or all. Just don't know what might be left over from previous events.

Ed

Peggy, are you referring to yourself in the third person?:D

Ed, we have quite a bit of supplies that the club owns. Rather than go thru the list I will get what we are short. Yes. Also, Rob has 2 chafing dishes and the club has fuel for them. Will need to heat the meat first and Rob suggested we could do that on grills. He has one that lives on the bus and I have one that is very easy to transport.

Forecast (Sorry) Bring Rain Gear for Friday!

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 88. South wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70. South wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 87. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 18 and 21 mph. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph.

Thursday Night: Periods of showers and thunderstorms. Low around 70. South wind between 9 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 80.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 58.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 77.

Forecast Update - Beautiful Weekend in store!

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. South wind between 10 and 14 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 68. South wind around 10 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. South wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Thursday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. South wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. Southwest wind around 8 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.

If anyone needs anything out of the parts stash brought to the event you need to post up pretty much now.. Otherwise i'm traveling to an event without spare parts and without a wheeling truck.

If anyone needs anything out of the parts stash brought to the event you need to post up pretty much now.. Otherwise i'm traveling to an event without spare parts and without a wheeling truck.

I need you to bring a few full spare beer cans. Mine seems to be broken, It keeps loosing fluid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom