The slow progress of Spot the Pig (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shh. The high school kids will hear you and start snatching up all the sedans that predate them.

The magnificent beast in question. :p

IMG_20150317_161717.jpg

That is a clean car for around there. Where did you pick up steel ? Samuel Supply has been good but sometimes have a minimum order.

It's a 20' looker, there is a decent start of rust on it, but it isn't noticable till you look up close. The previous owner put some skirts over the lip of the wheel wells to cover. For steel, I go to Metal Supermarket and mostly just rifle through their offcuts.

All tacked in and ready to roll out so I can burn it in in the fresh air and roll Chromeo in to tear into. Hard to get a good look at Spot with all the crap in the shed.
IMG_20150329_000517.jpg
IMG_20150329_000330.jpg
IMG_20150329_000305.jpg

Meat pics. Incidentally, one of the reasons I wasn't considering going SOA is because the rear e-locker actuator would interfere with the spring pack with the rears still at 55 spacing. Well after seeing some pics of a cable retrofit kit for the 80 e-locker, I'm wondering if I could scab my own set up together and make something that would be wireless and clear the spring pack in a SOA arrangement. How cool would it be to have cable lockers operated by a three-in-the-tree shifter? :)
IMG_20150329_020632.jpg
IMG_20150329_020809.jpg

Looks awesome. So is that both axles slung under it now? The decision for SOA for me is all about body work. Are you will to cut to fit tires. If not... Then lift is needed. Otherwise it is just a bigger liability imo

I love the look of an soa pig but agree that it's a lot of steel to have 4-6" higher....although if done well, ride quality can be beneficial if you have a longer road trip.

Progress looks sweet, nice job.

Curt, what parts do you have at Byrons for the 55? My mom can drop stuff off in Neepawa next week. As long as it fits in the trunk of an Accord.

Still want heater controls from 55?

That would be great. I'll send you and Byron messages tonight when I have a chance to sit down.

Just about picked up another FrankenPig today. :lol:

IMG_20150330_165129.jpg

Last edited:
I woulda bought it!

I'm having second thoughts too.....

Ended up picking up the piggy bank.

Dropped the 2FE I picked up from @lubedude in a couple days ago, have since swapped out the 2F motor mount and accessory brackets to 3FE to suit the parts I have on the shelf. I've got the SM420 and tcase pulled out and hope to test fit them in the next couple of days to find out what parts I still need to track down.

IMG_20150501_184058.jpg

The top of the engine sticks up a bit too high for the hood to fit without modification. Darn :)
IMG_20150501_184110.jpg

Pulled the tranny hump, found what looks suspiciously like a bullet hole through it.
IMG_20150502_152846.jpg

Anyway to lower the engine semi easily?

Body lift.. but I was expecting this and intend to build a mean bump into the hood to clear it and give a high cold air intake point.

SM420 dry fit.
IMG_20150504_150053.jpg

Will need to bend the cane.
IMG_20150504_150400.jpg

IMG_20150504_150400.jpg

Anyway to lower the engine semi easily?

After staring at it for a bit tonight, I think this may be in the cards yet. It's pretty obvious that a brake booster won't fit as it sits currently, and there appears to be quite a bit of real estate to shift the engine to the passenger side.... plus as it sits, there appears to be an inch or two too little clearance in front of the fan to run a stock rad and a clutch fan. Maybe it will be feasible to redo the mounts to shift the drivetrain over, back and down to kill 2 or three birds with one stone. Or maybe lean the engine over a bit if there isn't enough room to shift it enough for the booster. Once I get the transfer an accessories in there I should have a better picture of clearances all around, hard boundaries and how much sheet metal, if any, would have to be finessed. Right now I wonder how much space there will be between the transfer and the passenger frame rail.

Last edited:
On a 40 series the case gets awful close to the right rail when using a split case anyway. Which case are you using. To make matters worse the vacuum shift is almost bound to interfere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom