Valentine's day activities: Rear cargo area power panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Valentine's day activities :

Made a power panel in the back of the GX460. It is powered from my 3rd row seats power tap connectors (3rd Row Seats Power Tap without cutting or splicing OE harness - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3rd-row-seats-power-tap-without-cutting-or-splicing-oe-harness.1242074/). It's not finalized yet, as I still need to find a way to run the power wires to that compartment with minimal messing with expensive plastics.

This is just one of the examples you can use the 3rd row seats power tap for.
  • For the fuse block, I made an L brackets out of 1/8" ABS plastic sheet.
  • Top SAE port is connected directly to the fuse block for future solar charging system.
  • Second SAE port is switched by the red switch and it is to provide power to the roof top tent and other things.
  • The triple plate has the voltmeter, USB and a Cig socket that are switched.
  • The small switch is for auxiliary internal lights that will be added in the future.

More can be added in the future as there are 2 spare circuits left.
Cheers!
20210214_155154.jpg
20210214_155225.jpg
20210214_160143.jpg
20210214_160353.jpg
20210214_160426.jpg

Nice job! Right now I just clamp my solar panels to my battery. I need to make some sort of dedicated connectors much like you did but I'm not sure where I want to mount it, front, rear, left, right???
For me it usually depends upon what direction I'm parked and where the sun is.
Future project...

Nice job! Right now I just clamp my solar panels to my battery. I need to make some sort of dedicated connectors much like you did but I'm not sure where I want to mount it, front, rear, left, right???
For me it usually depends upon what direction I'm parked and where the sun is.
Future project...

These bulkheads are awesome especially with at the 12 AWG wires. Amazon product ASIN B07WCMX24L
My thought process was, I will always have the back of my 460 facing the scenic view or clearing or what ever feature I am at. So most likely I will always have the most sun around the back area. With the connectors I referenced, you get 2 waterproof-ish decent power handling SAEs so you can put one under the rood and one somewhere is the back for easy plug and play!

Reactions: r2m
That looks really well done and gives me some ideas on what I could have done better on ours. What is the voltage drop from battery to rear terminal?

If I didn't have the subwoofer on that panel I would have put our power panel there. Instead we used the jack access door and added a blue sea 15amp switch, voltmeter/USB, cigarette socket, and a double Anderson power pole socket. The main panel is wired with a 14 gauge direct to battery and switched with a switch pro. Our power poles are direct wired to the battery with 8 gauge wires for larger draws. I would have used your third row harness if I had known about it and saved a couple of pounds of wires and a few hours running through the firewall and along the doors! Thanks for sharing this.

I did some voltage testing to see what kind of voltage drop happening at this panel. Thank you Posersurfer for the idea.

Since I made the post, I have drilled a small hole in the back of the cubby and routed my wires through the jack compartment and into the back of the power panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom