The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been happy with the Safari FMIC so far, with my only caveat being the ATM cooler. I did go with an aftermarket thin ATF cooler and sandwiched it. In all situations is it fine except on hot summer days on long grades where I can not get TC lockup due to slow vehicles in front and no passing lane. Then my ATF temps climb. This is never a concern on Interstate Highways, just the scenic byways and through mountian passes. As soon as its clear, I have the power to pass and get into TC lockup speed then all is good again. It's not often that this situation occurs, but I will work to eliminate it as a possibility. EGT's are excellent with current tune. I am 10% out with the 315 tires, so that has impact on the signal for TC lockup. Correction of the signal in conjunction with a dual pass tube cooler between the front frame rails is on the agenda. And the path might lead to the GENII. And/or regigging the front and putting the ATF cooler in front. Wholesale also has an electronic box which takes over from the factory signals, giving TC lockup in all gears if I have read the info correctly. I assume it unlocks for gear changes then locks in again but the write-up on their website does not explicitly say that. GENII Torque Converter Lockup Control Kit to suit Toyota LandCruiser 80 Series 4 Speed - Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

@Lumpskie With your hydraulic A442F I would suggest to keep the ATF cooler primary and out in front of everything if you go front mount. There is only one kit that I know of that provides a FMIC as a kit, including an ATF cooler. I have no direct experience with it but know of one in North America, but not installed yet. Landcruiser 80 Series Front Mount intercooler

hth's
gb
I have the extreme Wholsale Automatics valve body in my truck that provides 3rd and 4th lockup. It works very well when towing. I also installed there billet torque converter, modified pump and put extra clutch plates in all the clutch packs. Money well spent especially if you are planning on a large power increase or towing.

The more I look at that PDI intercooler, the more I like that setup... especially with the transmission cooler in the front. The fact that the founder worked at GTurbo before starting this company makes me even more interested. I emailed PDI this morning with questions about what cutting is required. I forgot to ask how low the intercooler hangs though... I'd like to be sure that it doesn't become a rock bumper. The fact that the PDI 80 has run the road of bones as well as a number of other long expedition type trips encourages me though.

If anyone has any information on the company or product, can you post up?

20171104_120116.jpg
So I dragged out the PDI kit that I got about 6 months ago and haven't installed yet. Very keen to try it out. I noticed the alloy elbow that mount to the inlet manifold looks a bit different to the one on their website pics but everything seems well made. Brian was good to deal with and I got the impression that he values function over form. The kit uses a 550ish x 300mm core in the cooler and I did pester him for a while about using a 600 x 300mm core instead. He agreed to reluctantly, but I ended up taking the standard kit in the end.
20171104_120235.jpg

I've been happy with the Safari FMIC so far, with my only caveat being the ATM cooler. I did go with an aftermarket thin ATF cooler and sandwiched it. In all situations is it fine except on hot summer days on long grades where I can not get TC lockup due to slow vehicles in front and no passing lane. Then my ATF temps climb. This is never a concern on Interstate Highways, just the scenic byways and through mountian passes. As soon as its clear, I have the power to pass and get into TC lockup speed then all is good again. It's not often that this situation occurs, but I will work to eliminate it as a possibility. EGT's are excellent with current tune. I am 10% out with the 315 tires, so that has impact on the signal for TC lockup. Correction of the signal in conjunction with a dual pass tube cooler between the front frame rails is on the agenda. And the path might lead to the GENII. And/or regigging the front and putting the ATF cooler in front. Wholesale also has an electronic box which takes over from the factory signals, giving TC lockup in all gears if I have read the info correctly. I assume it unlocks for gear changes then locks in again but the write-up on their website does not explicitly say that. GENII Torque Converter Lockup Control Kit to suit Toyota LandCruiser 80 Series 4 Speed - Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

@Lumpskie With your hydraulic A442F I would suggest to keep the ATF cooler primary and out in front of everything if you go front mount. There is only one kit that I know of that provides a FMIC as a kit, including an ATF cooler. I have no direct experience with it but know of one in North America, but not installed yet. Landcruiser 80 Series Front Mount intercooler

hth's
gb

thanks Greg, just clicked that link and bought the new lock up kit. Another advantage for me with the small top mount was keeping the ease of access for maintenance

View attachment 1567782 So I dragged out the PDI kit that I got about 6 months ago and haven't installed yet. Very keen to try it out. I noticed the alloy elbow that mount to the inlet manifold looks a bit different to the one on their website pics but everything seems well made. Brian was good to deal with and I got the impression that he values function over form. The kit uses a 550ish x 300mm core in the cooler and I did pester him for a while about using a 600 x 300mm core instead. He agreed to reluctantly, but I ended up taking the standard kit in the end.View attachment 1567783

I don't see any ATF cooler stuff in your pics, is your truck a manual trans? Did any of the Australian HDJ's get the OEM winch, or was that a Japan market thing mostly?

I think for an intercooler there's 6 major things to consider.

Efficiency
Capacity/pressure drop/flow
Simplicity
Reliability
Price
Ease of Installation

Air to air does/can do well on all those.
Front mount is going to be more efficient than top mount because it's not dealing with radiant heat from the engine, and has better air flow through the core, and there's room for a larger core.
Top mount is possibly a simpler install, but cutting into the hood and installing a fan negates that IMO

water to air is more expensive, more complex, more points of potential failure, and arguably no more efficient than air to air

Water to air is better for low speed load when there's low air flow. But, once heat soaked, takes longer to shed the heat.
Air to air is more reliant on air flow, so better suited to higher speed. But with a decent engine fan, a front mount should still get sufficient air flow to prevent heat soak in all but extreme conditions.

when I get around to installing one on mine, it will be a large front mount air to air.
Cheap, simple, no moving parts.
Room for a core with large surface area for cooling air to pass through the core, plus large cross sectional area so there's loads of capacity to dissipate heat, and large enough cross section to minimise pressure drop across the core.
Reliable. No coolant to leak, no pump to fail, no wiring required.
No holes cut in the hood
No additional fan required
Any cutting to fit it is all under the hood, out of sight

There's precious little data on intercoolers available, so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
If there was more data showing before and after IAT, EGT, pressure drop etc, it would help make informed decision.

Bottom line, any intercooler is better than none, bigger is better than not big enough. After that, everyone has there own preference

thanks Greg, just clicked that link and bought the new lock up kit. Another advantage for me with the small top mount was keeping the ease of access for maintenance

You've got the Wholesale Nomad HD VB so it will work in 1st gear? Off topic for the thread title, but some feedback would be great when you get it installed.

gb

I have the extreme Wholsale Automatics valve body in my truck that provides 3rd and 4th lockup. It works very well when towing. I also installed there billet torque converter, modified pump and put extra clutch plates in all the clutch packs. Money well spent especially if you are planning on a large power increase or towing.

Same, for the electronic A442F. I have no before and after experience as the VB and TC went in during the drive line swap.

gb

I got an email back from PDI about their front mount kit. Here's their response:

We do sell to US customers and the shipping is AU$300. When you place the order our local sales tax (10%) should be removed when you select the shipping option.

The only possible issue you will have with clearance for rock crawling is that if you have the model with the air con drier canister mounted below the LH headlight as this will need to be relocated or pushed down further. I suspect yours should be in the engine bay and won’t be a problem.

The only trimming is the cutting of 2 3” holes, one on either side, which is done in the panel behind the indicator under the headlight. The centre of the hole is inline with the bottom centre of a pressed square shape.

The pipe comes through the holes and stays below any factory battery boxes. On LH side the brake line bracket needs to be bend backwards and the pipe comes up inside the top radiator hose outlet. On the RHS, the pipe goes over the corner of the air con compressor and then down onto the top of the turbo outlet.

As for pressure drop, I would expect the max you will need to tune your 80 is around 25psi, based on testing of out other units I would guess the pressure drop at that boost is 2psi +/- 0.5psi.

I'm getting pretty interested in this kit. It sounds like it's quality. At this point, I think it's going to come down to whether I can use my stock Evo intercooler with fabricated piping. If that doesn't turn out to be feasible, this might be the kit for me.

EEB11831-D99C-479A-AA76-27196E37C883.jpeg
28DE1E6B-BD81-4F94-9734-731CED88AC2E.jpeg
87DDAC27-EE91-4D65-8461-0B076BC01245.jpeg
I have a PDI Intercooler kit for my 1HD-FT and it’s going in soon.

DA091CAC-333A-44EA-84F3-2065F9060FD6.jpeg
7CDE38A4-3F3E-4E06-ADC9-D188386A745D.jpeg
The short manifold sits on the 12v manifold preheater for cold weather starts

IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

As pictured above in post #670 the intercooler and trans cooler together weigh 24 lbs

Last edited:
Looking into relocating the AC drier from under the bumper to the LHS battery area before it goes in.

Here is ny one for comparison:
20171119_112844.jpg

So over the weekend finally got an intercooler into my old 80. Also did this stuff last week-
*Put in a GTurbo BB
*Drilled exhaust manifold for EGT probe
*Made blanking plate to remove EGR stuff (Japan spec 1hdft motor)
*Replaced steering box
*Rebuilt swivel hubs with new bearings and seals and 30/30 RCV shafts and cvs.

A lot of late nights, and about AU$7000 in parts. Here is some pics of the cooler install-
20171119_112634.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom