The Land Cruiser is snuggled all warm in it’s garage…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ours is a 2019, bought it with 50k ish miles this summer. We have only put about 6k miles on it since we bought it.

-Timing chain/cam phaser rattle on startup- dealership had it two weeks but got it done and it was covered under original warranty. No loaner.
-Broke down after we picked it up, as they didnt get it back together properly. towed to ship and they had it a few days
-Broke down and overheated yesterday on me, losing antifreeze at the hose bundle towards the passenger firewall. Didnt leak before they worked on it. It's at the dealership right now.
-Driver side Valve cover is leaking oil everywhere, they have a new VC on order and it will be replaced under factory warranty
-I noticed it rides rough in the back seat passenger side, turns out the shock is leaking. Ours has the fancy adaptive suspension, shocks are 500 each and not covered under warranty. I ordered two but have not installed them yet.
-It still has a rattle on startup and doesnt sound right to me, this is after the cam phaser and timing work.
I hate to have to say this but you’re telling a tale as old as time. There is a fairly active Expedition forum and the 4th gen section is full of owners weeping and wailing and blaming Ford/Lincoln for their misfortunes.

I’ve had most of the things you listed already repaired, your current leaking coolant issue is eerily similar to my most recent warranty work which was completed the day before my trans breakdown. 2 hearted hoses replaced under warranty, 67k miles.

Your current rattle on startup could be waste gate rattle, the cam phasers sounds like a clanking diesel, waste gate is more of a shaking nuts and bolts in metal coffee can type noise.

We bought the extended warranty, thank the lord.

The current state of American car manufacturers is abysmal and one of the biggest misappropriations of capital and talent that’s taken place in my lifetime. It’s both depressing and embarrassing.

The el cheapo interior didn’t help.
Yeah, this is a problem. I look at it as not requiring any special care. Ours was also well used (bought from a family that actually outgrew 7 seats somehow).

It's more utility vehicle than sport.

I hate to have to say this but you’re telling a tale as old as time. There is a fairly active Expedition forum and the 4th gen section is full of owners weeping and wailing and blaming Ford/Lincoln for their misfortunes.

I’ve had most of the things you listed already repaired, your current leaking coolant issue is eerily similar to my most recent warranty work which was completed the day before my trans breakdown. 2 hearted hoses replaced under warranty, 67k miles.

Your current rattle on startup could be waste gate rattle, the cam phasers sounds like a clanking diesel, waste gate is more of a shaking nuts and bolts in metal coffee can type noise.

We bought the extended warranty, thank the lord.

The current state of American car manufacturers is abysmal and one of the biggest misappropriations of capital and talent that’s taken place in my lifetime. It’s both depressing and embarrassing.

Got the call this morning on the leaking fluid. 300 in parts, they want me to cover that. 6 hours of labor that they will cover. Not covered under warranty. This morning my wife said she will be heartbroken if she has to get another car. I'm in a bad spot on this one. Here's a picture I took of the area with a slow leak:

EAB0AB27-A50A-4462-BFAF-B5CD8483C617_1_105_c.jpeg

Ours is a 2019, bought it with 50k ish miles this summer. We have only put about 6k miles on it since we bought it.

-Timing chain/cam phaser rattle on startup- dealership had it two weeks but got it done and it was covered under original warranty. No loaner.
-Broke down after we picked it up, as they didnt get it back together properly. towed to ship and they had it a few days
-Broke down and overheated yesterday on me, losing antifreeze at the hose bundle towards the passenger firewall. Didnt leak before they worked on it. It's at the dealership right now.
-Driver side Valve cover is leaking oil everywhere, they have a new VC on order and it will be replaced under factory warranty
-I noticed it rides rough in the back seat passenger side, turns out the shock is leaking. Ours has the fancy adaptive suspension, shocks are 500 each and not covered under warranty. I ordered two but have not installed them yet.
-It still has a rattle on startup and doesnt sound right to me, this is after the cam phaser and timing work.
I'm pretty sure LX shocks are 2-300. Ouch. Obviously you also should have picked the 200 for your trip.

Last edited:
i complement my LX570 with a minivan, and don't regret it at all. A lot of times a mini van makes sense. They can be absolutely cavernous inside with the seats out / folded down. Mine isn't 4wd, but I don't live in a demanding climate 360 days of the year.
Same here. Nothing fun about driving our AWD Sienna, but it’s just practical for nearly everything 🙄 I hate practicality

A used AWD Sienna is a great vehicle. I just bought one, a 2005 with 99K miles with white interior and gray leather, for $7K from the original owner. Yes, it's old (no Bluetooth, blind spot monitor, etc.), but I plan to get years out of it. It has a constant 50:50 drive to each axle, which is pretty cool to me. It's going to be my boys' learn to drive vehicle, and keep miles off my 80 Series and our Highlander.
I'm a fan of minivans. The sliding doors are awesome, the low step in is great, they don't attract attention from thieves or looky-loos, and they are built to last (Toyotas at least). I realize it's not the 'cool car' to some, but I'm a very practical person, and an AWD Sienna is a highly practical vehicle.

A used AWD Sienna is a great vehicle. I just bought one, a 2005 with 99K miles with white interior and gray leather, for $7K from the original owner. Yes, it's old (no Bluetooth, blind spot monitor, etc.), but I plan to get years out of it. It has a constant 50:50 drive to each axle, which is pretty cool to me. It's going to be my boys' learn to drive vehicle, and keep miles off my 80 Series and our Highlander.
I'm a fan of minivans. The sliding doors are awesome, the low step in is great, they don't attract attention from thieves or looky-loos, and they are built to last (Toyotas at least). I realize it's not the 'cool car' to some, but I'm a very practical person, and an AWD Sienna is a highly practical vehicle.
This makes me feel better about the thought of driving one, you highlighted many aspects I’m looking for.

Got the call this morning on the leaking fluid. 300 in parts, they want me to cover that. 6 hours of labor that they will cover. Not covered under warranty. This morning my wife said she will be heartbroken if she has to get another car. I'm in a bad spot on this one. Here's a picture I took of the area with a slow leak:

View attachment 3199283
Sucks. A few more breakdowns and she may change her tune. Hopefully, this will be the last hiccup for y’all and you can enjoy the remaining ownership.

I worry about the road salt too. Colorado seems to be going overboard in recent years. Much more mag chloride used than when i started driving in the 90s. I've never done fluid film before, but I think it's time to start.

I've been driving the tesla as much as possible in winter because it's mostly aluminum and I don't care if it lasts, but I replaced the shocks recently and after 3 winters of use, one of the bolts was completely, hopelessly fused to the bushing. Had to pull out all the tricks, including the torch and BFH to get it loose.

Wife won't do a minivan. Would not matter much, because the sienna's are unobtainium in this part of the US.

Wife won't do a minivan. Would not matter much, because the sienna's are unobtainium in this part of the US.
Funny how some wives are. Mine loved our limited AWD Sienna. Her friend would absolutely not have one; didn't align with her desired image, I guess.
I found ours to be better than I expected. Not terribly exciting, but, absolutely functional when we had 2 kids under 10 years old.

I have a good friend that drives one of those 4wd Nissans for work and loves it.

The only drawback to these is that they are going away and so is support from Nissan in 2026/27.

You’re not lying, finding a nicely trimmed out 2018-2020 is just not happening. We aren’t crazy about buying the new models because they are all hybrid.
What's putting you off from the Hybrid? Complexity of system? I haven't ever owned one, so I don't know the drawbacks, etc but figured toyota would have had a pretty good track record given the prius, etc.

What's putting you off from the Hybrid? Complexity of system? I haven't ever owned one, so I don't know the drawbacks, etc but figured toyota would have had a pretty good track record given the prius, etc.

The hybrid is what I was actually talking about. Have a friend in the car business that cannot get one, even with connections to a couple of toyota dealerships

The hybrid is what I was actually talking about. Have a friend in the car business that cannot get one, even with connections to a couple of toyota dealerships
I tried talking my wife into the AWD hybrid sienna when we were shopping a couple years ago. She didn't want to get out of the Odyssey lineup (un)fortunately.

The sienna's seem to be coming in sporadically around me. Most are listed as "sale pending" which may or may not be a marketing gimmick.

Yes, complexity. I know Toyota pretty much wrote the book on it but we’re really digging the simplicity of the Cruisers v8, I can turn wrenches on it… not sure I can what I can do on the hybrid. I’ve literally never turned a wrench on this navigator and I thought this was a good thing at first, it’s the first car I’ve ever owned that I haven’t worked on and that’s not necessarily a positive to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom