The Land Cruiser is snuggled all warm in it’s garage…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Artie

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
While me and the family are broke down in our 4th gen Navigator in the middle of nowhere Tennessee😵

I looked at the LC while packing and reminded myself we didn’t get it for trips like this. That’s our overlanding/tow and camping rig. We kept the daily for the beach and these annual Beech Mountain Christmas holiday trips. They will have salted the roads and I don’t wanna deal with that and we want to keep the miles down. Ah yes, the mental gymnastics haha.

We’re safe and the kids are enjoying the adventure. We have a tow scheduled and we have family that’s joining us on this trip that aren’t far behind so rescue is en route.

I will be backtracking and picking up the far superior vehicle tonight.

Please roast me and my current situation and don’t hold back, the kids could turn mutinous soon and I’ll need something to laugh at.

No idea what a 2018+ Navigator sells for…but pretty certain a second Land Cruiser is both “affordable” and in-order.

Glad you’re safe…Merry Christmas!

Sorry about the predicament.

I love even older high mileage LC’s. That’s all I’ve ever been able to afford but they’ve been consistently reliable. Then you don’t worry too much about extra miles or that “first scratch”.

Maybe you could find an older higher mileage for road trips.

No idea what a 2018+ Navigator sells for…but pretty certain a second Land Cruiser is both “affordable” and in-order.

Glad you’re safe…Merry Christmas!
Funny you mentioned this… we’re eyeing that along with the new sequoia or possibly mega splurge for a LX. But yeah, this Navigator is dead to me know. We just got it back from the dealer yesterday for warranty work on hoses of all things. The list of complaints is impressive with this thing.

Sorry about the predicament.

I love even older high mileage LC’s. That’s all I’ve ever been able to afford but they’ve been consistently reliable. Then you don’t worry too much about extra miles or that “first scratch”.

Maybe you could find an older higher mileage for road trips.
The one nice thing the navigator has over the cruiser is the interior space. But yeah, we’ll be looking no doubt.

2nd gen Seqouia is a sweet spot. V8 power, giant third row seats if you need it, and plenty of cargo space and room to stretch.
Something comparable in interior space to this navigator would be nice.

While me and the family are broke down in our 4th gen Navigator in the middle of nowhere Tennessee😵

I looked at the LC while packing and reminded myself we didn’t get it for trips like this. That’s our overlanding/tow and camping rig. We kept the daily for the beach and these annual Beech Mountain Christmas holiday trips. They will have salted the roads and I don’t wanna deal with that and we want to keep the miles down. Ah yes, the mental gymnastics haha.

We’re safe and the kids are enjoying the adventure. We have a tow scheduled and we have family that’s joining us on this trip that aren’t far behind so rescue is en route.

I will be backtracking and picking up the far superior vehicle tonight.

Please roast me and my current situation and don’t hold back, the kids could turn mutinous soon and I’ll need something to laugh at.
I'm sure that your LC will let you know that you shouldn't have left it at home, perhaps is will shimmy every time it passes a Ford product.
F found
O on
R road
D dead

F fix
O or
R repair
D daily

I could go on...

Seriously, I'm glad the family is OK

Salt? Fluid film once a year. Miles on a Land Cruiser? Irrelevant.
Oh believe me, I’ve read all the posts lol i know alll about it. Where we live snow is rare and when it happens everything shuts down so this was a maintenance item I could ignore if need be. I’m paying the price for my slothfulness now.

Funny you mentioned this… we’re eyeing that along with the new sequoia or possibly mega splurge for a LX. But yeah, this Navigator is dead to me know. We just got it back from the dealer yesterday for warranty work on hoses of all things. The list of complaints is impressive with this thing.
Since you mentioned salty roads and thus i assume snow, then the new Sequoia has a (useless) part- time 4wd system. You need to get the previous gen Sequoia to get the wonderful multi mode 4wd system.

I think 2020-2021 Sequoia is the best. Roomy. Great 4wd system. Uber reliable. Apple/Android auto.

Sounds like you have it handled, but if you need anything in the East TN direction, reach out.

I realize our beloved Toyota’s have a sensitive underbelly’s, but occasional use and immediate/thorough cleaning and fluid film afterwards should remove the salt/sand/mag chloride.

After years of struggle, I became tired of the concerns/worry and refuse to own a car I can’t utilize as designed, however I did commit to significant preventative and post use efforts. Yeah, I am that guy that washes his Cruiser while on vacation, gives me something to do when the family sleeps in!

I’m back with the fam and in the superior vehicle. My wife and my mom got some good quality time with the kids and each other and I got some alone time on the drive, something a SAHD never gets. So all in all there are silver linings. I had to stop by my wounded Navigator to grab a couple things and leave the keys, the ridiculousness of my original vehicle choice was blatant when parked next to each other, I’m neither old grand pa or Matthew McConaughey Lincoln driver type.

My wife did some car research, I’ll get the deets on that later.

62B47BE5-DE1A-4DA6-8188-1FCC49C846DD.jpeg

Crazy to see this thread! We too are with a Navigator in the shop thats a 4th gen as well. Only owned it a few months and this it's third trip to the shop. Left us stranded twice. Let us know what you decide to get, we are having a hard time figuring something comparable out.

Crazy to see this thread! We too are with a Navigator in the shop thats a 4th gen as well. Only owned it a few months and this it's third trip to the shop. Left us stranded twice. Let us know what you decide to get, we are having a hard time figuring something comparable out.
Feel free to PM me the answer to this but what’s been your issues and how fast can you het out of it?

I stopped by the dealer where mine currently resides and they had so many vehicles waiting on various transmission parts, many there for months. The service rep printed out my entire service history, it was over 5 pages with 10 or more visits per page and I had forgotten several of them. Bought this vehicle new and had everything done at the dealer.

Currently we are considering 2nd gen sequoia, a doggone sienna (apparently a mini van in AWD isn’t common? Idk, this was my wife’s findings). We are not too keen on getting a new Sequoia or LX600 because of the major redesigns they just got. Our Navigator was early in the major redesign and it’s been rough.

However, tonight my wife dropped the biggest bomb… she’s interested in looking at a possible 200 series. Spending the last few days in ours really reminded her of why we got it. She’s all “i really like that we did this whole trip and didn’t get gas… maybe we just get another cruiser and get another one of those extra gas tanks.” LRA for the win lol. I filled up before returning home, 544 miles and still had 3/4 of the main left.

Feel free to PM me the answer to this but what’s been your issues and how fast can you het out of it?

I stopped by the dealer where mine currently resides and they had so many vehicles waiting on various transmission parts, many there for months. The service rep printed out my entire service history, it was over 5 pages with 10 or more visits per page and I had forgotten several of them. Bought this vehicle new and had everything done at the dealer.

Currently we are considering 2nd gen sequoia, a doggone sienna (apparently a mini van in AWD isn’t common? Idk, this was my wife’s findings). We are not too keen on getting a new Sequoia or LX600 because of the major redesigns they just got. Our Navigator was early in the major redesign and it’s been rough.

However, tonight my wife dropped the biggest bomb… she’s interested in looking at a possible 200 series. Spending the last few days in ours really reminded her of why we got it. She’s all “i really like that we did this whole trip and didn’t get gas… maybe we just get another cruiser and get another one of those extra gas tanks.” LRA for the win lol. I filled up before returning home, 544 miles and still had 3/4 of the main left.

Ours is a 2019, bought it with 50k ish miles this summer. We have only put about 6k miles on it since we bought it.

-Timing chain/cam phaser rattle on startup- dealership had it two weeks but got it done and it was covered under original warranty. No loaner.
-Broke down after we picked it up, as they didnt get it back together properly. towed to ship and they had it a few days
-Broke down and overheated yesterday on me, losing antifreeze at the hose bundle towards the passenger firewall. Didnt leak before they worked on it. It's at the dealership right now.
-Driver side Valve cover is leaking oil everywhere, they have a new VC on order and it will be replaced under factory warranty
-I noticed it rides rough in the back seat passenger side, turns out the shock is leaking. Ours has the fancy adaptive suspension, shocks are 500 each and not covered under warranty. I ordered two but have not installed them yet.
-It still has a rattle on startup and doesnt sound right to me, this is after the cam phaser and timing work.

i complement my LX570 with a minivan, and don't regret it at all. A lot of times a mini van makes sense. They can be absolutely cavernous inside with the seats out / folded down. Mine isn't 4wd, but I don't live in a demanding climate 360 days of the year.

i complement my LX570 with a minivan, and don't regret it at all. A lot of times a mini van makes sense. They can be absolutely cavernous inside with the seats out / folded down. Mine isn't 4wd, but I don't live in a demanding climate 360 days of the year.
I had a hand me down mini van while in college. It was actually handy to be able to carry that many broke friends, especially after the sun set and the questionable decision making began.

Fast forward to 45 yrs old and the thought of driving one now is not so appealing for some reason. We’ve rented one twice and it was disappointing. It was FWD and I kept lighting up the tires when pulling out, I’d been in AWD or RWD for many years at that point and I found the driving characteristics of the FWD really distasteful. The el cheapo interior didn’t help.

We will go see these in person and I’ll go with an open mind. This would be my daily driver so there may be some ego swallowing I need to do lol. You are correct when it comes to size, they are impossible to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom