The Iron Mule: 12HT -> FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im not sure where you are on this project... When I did mine...I had a whole donor...so harness, relays were all there. Going from scratch, I would go with which ever is cheapest with what ever parts are needed to complete her. 12v parts from OZ or South America, 24v from the North. Its all a crap shoot. I would...if I (dollar wise) could go either way would go 12v for 2 reasons #1) I think OZ has many more
2h, 12ht's 1hz's so parts will be around alot longer. Reason 2) its alot easier to have your local starter/alt shop rewind/repair/rebrush your 12v stuff than 24v stuff.
Once done.....you will have a non standard vehicle...you'll get " Toyota doesnt make a diesel landcruiser", No its cant be 24v, or 24v??go find a big rig shop...and from what I have found...even they are going 12v

And as far as ins. cluster...you can relamp 24 to 12v or use a 60 cluster relamp to 24v and swap out the glow ind.

Good luck...I love my 2H(T)

Im not sure where you are on this project... When I did mine...I had a whole donor...so harness, relays were all there. Going from scratch, I would go with which ever is cheapest with what ever parts are needed to complete her. 12v parts from OZ or South America, 24v from the North. Its all a crap shoot. I would...if I (dollar wise) could go either way would go 12v for 2 reasons #1) I think OZ has many more
2h, 12ht's 1hz's so parts will be around alot longer. Reason 2) its alot easier to have your local starter/alt shop rewind/repair/rebrush your 12v stuff than 24v stuff.
Once done.....you will have a non standard vehicle...you'll get " Toyota doesnt make a diesel landcruiser", No its cant be 24v, or 24v??go find a big rig shop...and from what I have found...even they are going 12v

And as far as ins. cluster...you can relamp 24 to 12v or use a 60 cluster relamp to 24v and swap out the glow ind.

Good luck...I love my 2H(T)

I've installed an 80 amp 12-volt alternator and a 12v starter. I have the stator to convert the AC to 12v. So I'm going to keep everything 12v so that it meshes well with the rest of the FJ60.

Well things are starting to get going again. Unfortunately, I've moved to Oregon but my cruiser is still in California. David (iron_giant) is going to finish up the swap for me. I traded a 2.32 split case for some parts and labor. There were problems with the split case but David figured it all out and sent some purty pics of the "new" split case and new clutch.

P9081067.jpg

P9081068.jpg

P9081069.jpg

P9101071.jpg

P9101072.jpg

P9101073.jpg

P9111074.jpg

P9111075.jpg

P9111076.jpg

P9111077.jpg

P9111078.jpg

P9111079.jpg

P9121080.jpg

P9121081.jpg

P9121083.jpg

P9121084.jpg

P9121085.jpg

P9121086.jpg

:beer:

We used a 2F clutch disc because they don't make the 12H-T clutch disc any more. The 12H-T disc had 4 large springs and the 2F disc had 8 small springs. The torque and horsepower are similar between the 2F and 12H-T so the 2F disc should hopefully hold up well. They were both the same size and everything. The springs were the only difference.

it looks like your havin some fun doin that conversion i'm thought i had some drama's puttin a fj62 body on a hj60 runnin gear but i got nothing on your's good luck

it's a brand called... uhm... Luk. Georg at Valley Hybrid pushes them. Good clutches. The FJ60 version is a beefy; real springs instead of rubber bushings. But, the stock OEM one is nothing to shake a stick at. It will be years and years before you need to redo yours.

More Picts please.

Sorry for the delays! I have gone through some big career changes of late and have been extraordinarily busy. Fortunately for me Chad has been most understanding and patient with me. I will be back on this project in a weeks time and will update as I go.

Best,
David

Well, the engine, transmission, and t-case are now completely in for good. The clutch and radiator are done. The dash is slowly getting worked on. I am hoping to be going camping with the Northwest Overland Society at the beginning of April, so hopefully everything will be done by then.

12HT_front.jpg

12HT_pyroside.jpg

12HT_firewall.jpg

:beer::popcorn:

Man, that looks great. Nice clean motor, too.

<< sigh >>

a few updates: AC compressor and lines. ARB Locker, compressor, and switches, Racor fuel filter, vacuum box...
12ht cleaner.jpg
compressor.jpg
racor.jpg

...worked on a bracket for the glow and start solenoids. I wanted them tucked away leaving more room for ancillaries. Bracket is made of stainless (I have a ton at the shop).
bracket2.jpg
bracket3.jpg
mounted.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom