The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G'Day Fella's,

I'm a fan of Coleman products, and have been for decades.

I have had my Kerosene lantern the longest but I also own a unleaded Petrol stove (both dark green in colour).
The thing I like about these liquid fueled products, is you can easily take the amount of fuel required, for the time away bush.
By this I mean, if it's just a weekend trip, I fill up the tanks on the Coleman's, and make tracks.
If it's a longer trip (one week or a month), I pack enough liquid fuel (in appropriate and safe containers), for the journey....... and make tracks.
This is so much more convenient, that packing large LPG Gas bottles!

Doh!
Homer

About what year do toy think it's from? I am a Coleman and lantern collector. I am interested in your oven find.

The boxs seal has been broken, my apologies.:(

IMG_6596[1].JPG
IMG_6597[1].JPG
IMG_6598[1].JPG
IMG_6599[1].JPG
IMG_6601[1].JPG

As promised, here's my brood of night lights. These are all from my family...probably all bought by my dad over the years. He was a helluva outdoorsman as a young man, I'm guessing a couple of these lights have been on many a flounder gigging trip with my mom and dad.

All things patina'd....
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

From left to right:
-242A: date? (Pyrex globe)
-200: 4-'57 (made in Canada) Pyrex globe says made in USA
-200A: 3-'62 (with original box which is a little rough)
-220F: 1964
-288: 6-'85
-295-700T: 01-'99

I want to get all of these 100% functional and as clean as possible while maintaining proper patina.

Yeah that Canuk is nice. In the US after the 242s they went to the 200 in 1950. One year only nickel font red hat. Then they went to the 200A with red painted font Canada continued longer with the 200 as you see. The nickel is supposed to be nice and thick on those. I've never held one.

Nice collection. Be careful cleaning them up, take care of them and run them!

Here's the burners/stove I found stashed. After I took the pic realized I forgot to include Model A530 canister stove, which is in remarkable condition. The A530 accompanied dad on his motorcycle trip across the US that stretched to Alaska and back.
I've eaten many a meal off the green A425F (10-'82), the one on the right is stamped Optimus-Made in Sweden...appears to be all brass(?)- need to research. The burner on top I thought was a Coleman is not, it's stamped Sun Flame-made in USA. Any idea on this one?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow. The Optimus is a score for sure. As for the other one it's almost a dead ringer for a Coleman 500. I've heard the name but don't know that model.

Guys use the Coleman 500 under a vintage cast iron waffle iron. So that's an option if you're into that. Or as a stand alone under a perc coffee pot.

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy until camping season!

Here's the burners/stove I found stashed. After I took the pic realized I forgot to include Model A530 canister stove, which is in remarkable condition. The A530 accompanied dad on his motorcycle trip across the US that stretched to Alaska and back.
I've eaten many a meal off the green A425F (10-'82), the one on the right is stamped Optimus-Made in Sweden...appears to be all brass(?)- need to research. The burner on top I thought was a Coleman is not, it's stamped Sun Flame-made in USA. Any idea on this one?
Looks like you found a gold mine.

Wow. The Optimus is a score for sure. As for the other one it's almost a dead ringer for a Coleman 500. I've heard the name but don't know that model.

Guys use the Coleman 500 under a vintage cast iron waffle iron. So that's an option if you're into that. Or as a stand alone under a perc coffee pot.

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy until camping season!

Prairie-
What do you know about the swede Optimus? Would love to get this thing fired up.

Prairie-
What do you know about the swede Optimus? Would love to get this thing fired up.

Outside of my realm really. Don't know if it's kerosene or gas (benzine.). Maybe it's stamped on there?

Anyway you see the little pan underneath the burner? So put the right fuel in the font, pour some priming fuel in the little pan underneath the burner and light it on fire. Looks like it has a pump so give it a little pressure to get the fuel moving. Once the pre-heating is done it should self generate and run.

They call that type of burner a "roarer" for a reason. Loud and hot. It's a special stove.
Classiccampstoves.com is your source for info on that stove. Read up and treat that one right. All brass I believe and stunning when polished up.

Outside of my realm really. Don't know if it's kerosene or gas (benzine.). Maybe it's stamped on there?

Anyway you see the little pan underneath the burner? So put the right fuel in the font, pour some priming fuel in the little pan underneath the burner and light it on fire. Looks like it has a pump so give it a little pressure to get the fuel moving. Once the pre-heating is done it should self generate and run.

They call that type of burner a "roarer" for a reason. Loud and hot. It's a special stove.
Classiccampstoves.com is your source for info on that stove. Read up and treat that one right. All brass I believe and stunning when polished up.

Yep, been googling since I sent that question and was just on the classic stoves site. I caught a video of the pre burn and "roar"....wow! Ready for take off!
Also found a large wok-like reflector attachment that can transform it into a reflective heater. Pretty cool. Haven't seen my exact model yet though.
And these are high polish all brass units, can't wait to dig in to it.

Prairie-

pour gas on the top of the font and light, open valve and once you here gas boiling, light the burner. I use a SVEA for my coffee kit. dead simple to use; no pumping required, but not a lot of heat control.

pour gas on the top of the font and light, open valve and once you here gas boiling, light the burner. I use a SVEA for my coffee kit. dead simple to use; no pumping required, but not a lot of heat control.

it does look like a pump on the optimus...never seen one like that. I'll bet it works without the pump...OR is that the valve handle? I don't see another place for one, so, maybe that IS the valve handle...check it out and enlighten us!

it does look like a pump on the optimus...never seen one like that. I'll bet it works without the pump...OR is that the valve handle? I don't see another place for one, so, maybe that IS the valve handle...check it out and enlighten us!

In my photo above the Optimus has a filler cap on the left and the thing on the right is the pump to pressurize. No regulator, it's pretty much one speed ("roar") based on pressure. Apparently there is a pressure valve built into the filler cap you can manually release to lessen the flame....at least that's what I saw in a YouTube. Will have to check mine.

There were no markings on it until I put a wet rag to it last night revealing in large letters "Made in Sweden - Model No.45"...couldn't see any of that through the decades of dirt on it. Based on certain markings and shape it appears to be from the 1930's...need to investigate further.

Fun stuff!

Just like you can buy a separate pump for the SVEA 123 to give it some help in really cold temps or high altitude - maybe this model had a built in pump for that reason. Dunno. Keep us up to date as you progress with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom