The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at the pictures posted in the link about dangerous stoves, and the 501 bought. It appears this may be odd model.

The bought stove box says 501, but in the dangerous link, the pictures show 3 models - 501, 501A and 502. The bought stove has looks like a 502 - Red cleaner on the T, but the box and black knob are confusing.

Maybe a couple more pictures of the stove sides.

I have a 501A and have used it for years and never had a problem...and never heard of the potential problems until today!

One never knows what one will learn on Mud!

The stove is indeed a 502-700. As far as I can gather, the number 502-960 on the box refers to the aluminum cooking kit that fist model 502 stoves. It was sold as an accessory. I thought I saw this on the brake down illustrations on OCP.

ah, I have the cook kit also and always thought they came as a package. Makes sense.

So I want to get a Coleman lantern to go with my stove. Should I get one of the new dual fuels? Or get an older model kerosene off ebay? Just looking for bullet proof reliability and versatility - I know you can get kerosene everywhere, but you can say the same for unleaded. Or can you? Planning on some long trips maybe including South America at some point. What should I look for?

Most older Coleman lanterns use white gas or unleaded. There are kerosene models but they are more rare.
I would stick with the standard model as kerosene is not available everywhere as gasoline is.

Get a 200a and a 228 and you'll be set. The older ones from up to the 80s are better than what you'll get new today. Find a 426 3 burner, a 425, 413, and you'll be set. Coleman white gas is the best.

Get a 200a and a 228 and you'll be set. The older ones from up to the 80s are better than what you'll get new today. Find a 426 3 burner, a 425, 413, and you'll be set. Coleman white gas is the best.

I agree. Good advice.

I was not super impressed with with the Kerosene Lanterns. Generators take pretty constant cleaning though they are bright.

Be careful with that. They make lots of heat & Carbon Monoxide too.
Open space or it might be the best sleep of your life.
Oh yeah!! I tested it out in my driveway and while the flame is going initially to start the process, it throws off some nice black smoke that you can tell wouldn't be good in any enclosed space. It's also from the pre-safety age.

I agree. Good advice.

I was not super impressed with with the Kerosene Lanterns. Generators take pretty constant cleaning though they are bright.

Funny you mention this. My Kero plugged and I tried cleaning it with a pipe cleaner - No Luck.
Youtube vid showed holding Generator with pliers in a Torch. Worked Great!
Ordered a spare to put in Case with Alcohol to start and spare Peerless mantles.
Whole Kero model is held together with 1 bolt. Smart design.
Plus Fount is Powder Coated and Schrader valve allows for running on low which is really nice.
Kero is about $3 gallon and it burns longer (higher energy fuel).
Priming isn't a big deal once you know how. Plus Kero is great for starting a camp fire.
Only downside is now I have to carry 2 fuels as stove is still White Gas.

So I want to get a Coleman lantern to go with my stove. Should I get one of the new dual fuels? Or get an older model kerosene off ebay? Just looking for bullet proof reliability and versatility - I know you can get kerosene everywhere, but you can say the same for unleaded. Or can you? Planning on some long trips maybe including South America at some point. What should I look for?

Get on Amazon and get the Kero, Remember you need priming alcohol too. It uses Less fuel and Kero is way way way cheaper then White Gas.

Then there's the world of gas lanterns converted to kerosene. I've got a 288 converted to kero. Took a bit fiddling an experimentation but I've finally got it chooching consistently. They need lots of heat to vaporize the fuel to the point that mine won't run forever if the glass and hat are off.

If you are worried about fuel availability - carry 2 generators. If you can't find kerosene put the original genny in and burn gas out of your cruiser.

full

IMG_20171013_171626694.jpg

Only diff is the genny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom