The Coleman Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

According to Terry Marsh site model 521 heating stove for the military. I'm going to go on a limb and say very rare. If that's local I'd be all over it.

That's a cool find. Likely useless but excellent. Go buy it. I think they heated field sterilizers in WW2. You don't need it, but it's real history. $20 is nothing for a piece of time.

Can't turn down a nickel big hat. Screw in pump nickel plated generator. Feb 39 I believe.

Yeah turns out it's a May 39 228B. I think it's my first 22XB. I didn't realize the entire thing is nickel plated including tip cleaning assy, valve body, etc. I think even the collar but thats peeling. Now to find time to clean it up....

i love those big hat 228s...

While visiting some relatives this week I was helping my uncle move a generator out of his garage when something caught my eye. I knew immediately it was a 237. I ran over and looked at it and could tell it was in real good shape under all the dust and dirt. It was a 237A with a build date of 1-73. He said he bought it new when he and my dad camped a lot years ago. He said probably hadn’t lit it in at least 35 years and that I could have it. I was ecstatic! Partially because it was a really clean 237A but mainly because my uncle is very dear to my heart. To have something from him that he and my dad used means a tremendous amount. I couldn’t wait to get back home so I could get into it. I had picked up just the day before another really clean nickel plated 237 that I was excited over but the one he gave me jumped straight to the top of the fettle list. Very little paint loss and the vent is way better than most I’ve seen. The decal is pretty much toast but I kinda like it the way it is because it shows the use he put on it. I put a new pump leather on after the cleaning and she fired right up. Of the lanterns I own this one now means the most to me.

34AD9EE1-84DA-4B98-B886-D94884C566F0.jpeg

5E85FD21-2C94-4744-BC47-7B9F9F0F6F63.jpeg

560B862C-3D88-46B5-8193-6DB81CCD7AEB.jpeg

Find of the year!

Did they buy it in Canada?

Post up pics of the nickel one as well. I scored one a few years ago. Don't remember the year original glass. But of course haven't cleaned it up yet. Also bought new the latest version of this (639?) knowing they would eventually stop making liquid fueled lanterns all together.

Post up pics of the nickel one as well. I scored one a few years ago. Don't remember the year original glass. But of course haven't cleaned it up yet. Also bought new the latest version of this (639?) knowing they would eventually stop making liquid fueled lanterns all together.

I sure will. It’s actually in pieces going through the cleanup process right now. Disassembled it last night.

Weekend update!

Finally got the fount on my other 237 cleaned up. Build date on this one is 8-58. It was pretty nasty as someone must have been running regular unleaded gas in it right before they sealed it up for 30 years. They also must have not noticed gaping holes in their mantles while they were running it for years as well as the globe has 3 white spots and the glass actually deformed from the heat. Cleaned up pretty well and running strong on white gas now.

D66F94A5-973E-4D16-B2D0-73F075127EAB.jpeg

54E5F57A-8E6C-4FDE-A6A2-B597266AE9D7.jpeg

B5E4D74C-5EAD-48AE-95BE-F1E72F865198.jpeg

Last edited:
Also hit up a massive estate sale the day before it was supposed to take place and really scored BIG. 2 QuickLites, a globeless 237 and a BernzOmatic rocket launcher

A5849799-2BF9-4281-89E6-24F985B87EE6.jpeg

That cleaned up really well! Thanks for posting. I think mine is 59. We're these both gas and keep? I think mine is kero.

Is that second Quicklite an Air-O?

And your 237 scores are too much. Dang, those are nice. Want to trade a nice running Air-O for that globless 237?

That cleaned up really well! Thanks for posting. I think mine is 59. We're these both gas and keep? I think mine is kero.

According to wiser minds than mine the 237 can be run with either. You do however have to preheat with the alcohol cup even when running white gas.

I just found this out and have decided to run white gas in order to only buy one type of fuel and to save the porcelain on the vents from being damaged by the high heat from the kerosene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom