The BJ60 gets repainted and repaired (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More again
york2.JPG
turbo px line.JPG
engine1.JPG

tis more
turbo1.JPG
turbo2.JPG
hose routing.JPG

And more
boost gauges.JPG
bodyworks.JPG

Fender shot(non usa)
newfenders.JPG

Yes I need to update.

The engine is running. But the body isn't done yet.

I have painted it white already tho. I'll post some info later

OK,

here is what I did in brief decription. I am happy to answer any questions.

I Sanded or sand basted any areas on the truck.

Cleaned with Marine clean and Metal ready. Then I painted 2 coats of POR-15 over the whole truck. Rust be gone I say....

Then I scuffed the whole thing with 120 grit sandpaper. Clean with wash and wipe. Then I rolled the POR brand Tie-coat primer(2 coats). Then I sanded the truck with 320 grit all over. Fixed any spots with slight filler.

My pics I will post do not show the tie coat primer. I forgot to take them.

Also note I sprayed the POR first.... then decided to do the roll thing based on that Mopar thread.

When it came time to roll the tremclad I thinned it to almost water and rolled it on. It is very thin. The thinner it is the smoother it applies. But thinning it with the mineral spirits too much and it takes more coats to cover.

The trick to the good paint job is in the sanding. I used 800 grit after the first 2 coats. Then I rolled two more, used 1000 grit wetsanding after. Then 2 more, then 1000, then 2 more......etc. At the end I used 1500 grit and 2000 grit. Followed by a polish and wax.

I will post pics tonight of the after shots, Not all areas are done yet. I have decided to spray the doors with thinned Tremclad. Not roll. I will mix it a bit thicker for the spraying. But I will use the same technique of wet sanding between and will spray 4 coats. Reason I am spraying the doors, I have a clean area in my basement to do this(with a good suction fan) and don't have to worry about dust. My garage is dusty. So rolling was better.

Anyhow I do recommend this method. But pick light colours as they rust paints can fade over time. It is time consuming. DO not expect it to take a weekend. More like a week or so of going back and forth. Took me close to 2.5 weeks to get all the coats on the truck.
scuffed POR-15.jpg
RH back scuffed POR.jpg
first few coats Tremclad.jpg

Spraying and wetsanding will give a professional look to even a crappy painter. It's the wet sanding that takes it to a smooth appearance. As you can sand out the orange peel and sand paper finish. But it needs multiple coats to have coverage if your going to sand that much. So sanding between coats is good. I say spray two, then sand with 1000 grit, then spray and sand with 1000 grit then 1500,2000 and polish. Looks smooth.

These pics are from the middle coats. might be after 3-4 thin little coats and wetsanded a few times. I will show a hood after shot another day.
more rolled paint.jpg
getting thicker.jpg
back getting thicker.jpg

Last edited:
more
roof getting thicker.jpg
RH side after shot.jpg
after shots LH side.jpg

Some more after shots of the rolled paint..... something like 11 coats of thinly applied paint.....too much labour!!!!
after 2 RH side.jpg
after 2 shots LH side.jpg
after 3 LH side.jpg

brownbear I imagine that this was going to take some time. I also need to do some body repairs of my own to my bj60.

How muc times does it take to drill out the rear wheel wells and replace them with used ones? Came across somone who had a cruiser in good shape and no rust in the body or the frame. I have numerous holes that are temp patched up with bicicle tires and rubber cement to keep the moisture out. But the wheel arches with the rust need to be taken care of. I wouldnt mind doing my own body work but need to learn some of it from some one else.

BTW great work you have done with the vehicle.

man i've been thinking about doing this too and remember awhile back that u were gonna do it and have been awaiting ur results.. and they look freaking awesome!!

how did u paint the areas with complex surfaces like the gutters and around the rear windows??

brownbear I imagine that this was going to take some time. I also need to do some body repairs of my own to my bj60.

How muc times does it take to drill out the rear wheel wells and replace them with used ones? Came across somone who had a cruiser in good shape and no rust in the body or the frame. I have numerous holes that are temp patched up with bicicle tires and rubber cement to keep the moisture out. But the wheel arches with the rust need to be taken care of. I wouldnt mind doing my own body work but need to learn some of it from some one else.

BTW great work you have done with the vehicle.

The wells would be very hard to replace. Mine had no rust. Only the arch was rusty from the top back.

If your body is too rusty....hate to say it..... but after doing all this work I'm a bit jaded. I would recommend to anyone with a rusty bj to drive it till it turns to dust. Go to the states and import a rust free southern cruiser and install all your BJ drivetrain into it. Too me that is the best solution.

Second best would be to buy a rolling body off a guy like Radd cruiser or GandS and use the pieces to build one good vehicle up.

But if you own a welder and have more time than money you can slowly patch the BJ back up.

I'm lucky that I did this stuff before it got too bad, and it was Calgary truck it's whole life and it had very little rust when I got it. Plus my PO owned it for 18 years and sprayed undercoat all the time. So much of my frame still has factory paint on it. But the back areas near the channels need replacement.

man i've been thinking about doing this too and remember awhile back that u were gonna do it and have been awaiting ur results.. and they look freaking awesome!!

how did u paint the areas with complex surfaces like the gutters and around the rear windows??

Little foam brushes.

And the roller almost gets into all the spots. Tough part is sanding the complex areas, as you have to be soo careful with the edges and not using too much pressure, or they can become bare or transparent to metal/primer...

I did the same POR process with my 7X series build up, I ma very imporessed with the POR15, I hope it holds up for a long time.

I did the same POR process with my 7X series build up, I ma very imporessed with the POR15, I hope it holds up for a long time.

Yah it is not usually made for painting fenders....but why not try eh? Anything to seal Mr Toyotas low quality metal he used :)

I really roughed the body up before putting it on. And my doors I sandblasted with crushed glass. So they were fairly rough too. Did all the special cleaning too.

The Tie coat primer is really nice to work with. Today I am sanding the tiecoat primer on my doors.. So much nicer to sand than POR

Looks great BB. Is she going to be white? White rocks.....
1.0.jpg

Yup whites where's it at on a cruiser :)

HZJ60guy how do you reach your upper tailgate to close it? Do you have a little rope on the inside to pull it down?

Is that lifted springs on a SOA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom