The Best Multi-tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Original Leatherman PST

I got mine about 20 years ago and while the newer multi-tools do have some nice features I could never really justify the upgrade.

I have to say Leatherman stands behind their product.

Last fall after killing an elk I was chipping some block ice, with my Leatherman's knife blade, so I could better pack the coolers. I didn't realize, until I was done, I had broken off about a 1/4" of the blade tip. No, I did not hit the ground with it. I was bummed about it and thought I might try to re-shape the blade some time. Well about a month or so ago I read this thread and thought I would look around on the Leatheman web page. I found their 25 year warranty statement and figured I would send them an email. Much to my surprise they said send it in for repair or replacement. I sent it in and they reshaped the blade for me and I had it back in less than 2 weeks. My only cost was mailing them the tool.

I dont know if it is the best but the best part about this one is that I found it while on a climb in the sierras.. sitting right on top of a boulder along the trail...

It has served me well in the 8-9 months I have had it...

Gerber Crucial Tool 30-000140 Green

Gerber-Crucial-Tool-30-000140-350x350.gif

x whatever on the wave. Been great for me and made in USA.

MANUCHAO said:
I dont know if it is the best but the best part about this one is that I found it while on a climb in the sierras.. sitting right on top of a boulder along the trail...

So what your telling us is that you stole it? LOL... :D

But seriously I left something one time at a site and came back within an hour after realizing it and it was gone! Ahhhh....stupid me for leaving it!

Hence the use of "dummy cords." I tie a piece of paracord to my knoife, binos, and camera when they are in pouches on my belt. The cord is about the length of my arm and tucks into the pouch. If I don't get the item back in the pouch or if I set it down and try and walk away it stays with me.

madinal said:
Hence the use of "dummy cords." I tie a piece of paracord to my knoife, binos, and camera when they are in pouches on my belt. The cord is about the length of my arm and tucks into the pouch. If I don't get the item back in the pouch or if I set it down and try and walk away it stays with me.

Nice...might have to steal that idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing this once it comes out...
CRKT-Tool.jpg

So what your telling us is that you stole it? LOL... :D

But seriously I left something one time at a site and came back within an hour after realizing it and it was gone! Ahhhh....stupid me for leaving it!

The PO should thank you. They could have gotten a hefty littering fine if you hadn't grabbed it :D

I recently downsized to a Leatherman Juice S2 and so far I love it. I got tired of belt carry and the Juice is a much better size and weight to pack around in a pocket every day.
I'll strap on the Wave if I'm camping, but for EDC the Juice S2 rocks.
x2. I have many pocketknives/muliti-tools but my favorite? The Juice S2. It is small, lightweight and has a real wine opener to boot!

Another one for the wave and its outside blades. Also rock solid build quality. I keep on in my cruiser and one in my house.

I had the original Leatherman for years, they fixed or replaced it twice. Gave that one to my daughter when I got the Wave as a gift. They have fixed it already once because I am constantly using it and testing the limits. I'd rather lose my wallet than lose my Wave. I also own three other Leatherman multi tools, the Skeletool, in my go bag, a Charge, in the glove box of the cruiser as a backup, and one that I can't remember the name of that's in my tackle box. I also own the Leatherman pruning tool (discontinued), two of their early flashlights that I love (discontinued) and now one of their LED Lenser flashlights and headlamp. All super quality tools backed by magnificent people. They have a Leatherman exhibit in the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland with the original tools, pretty cool stuff.

Anyone who buys a Bear Grylls knifem multi tool, ax r any other piece of crap need to be kicked in his vagina.
Victorinox and Leatherman, hands down.

People talking about the wine openers got me to thinking about another Leatherman I have. It's a retired model they made called the Flair. It not only had the wine opener, it also had a bottle opener, can opener, a spreader knife, and cocktail fork in addition to the scissors, pliers, screwdrivers, and knife blades.

Leatherman multi-tools: Flair

Yeah, those nut slots are kinda wishful thinking. Because the entire tool has to lay down on the component and have a perfectly flat plane to swing, it is rare to have space. But if I were stranded, it would certainly be better than nothing even if you had to methodically deconstruct the component or remove it to work on it. Better than nothing, by far.

Great thread. Almost need to specify what use you want it to be designed for though, as now these tools tend to be designed for a particular sport or pursuit. I like my Juice as an all around tool, but it would be easy to break if I got after it.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom