The 1974 Surf Wagon... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks awesome , how did you get the carb so clean and new? Bead blast? Carb dip?

In the environment I live it I found I have to paint all exposed aluminum. I've rebuilt carbs before and polished them up just to have them haze over in white corrosion in a few months. I ended up polishing them up now and painting them with aluminum colored paint.

YodaFrick:flipoff2::D

Can anyone give me any insight on the rear axle on these rigs? Mainly the brake portion of the axle. If in proper working order are they up to the task of stopping a 33-35" tire?

I have been think of swapping to a full floater with 80 series disc brakes. But if the stock axle is fine I will leave well enough alone (aside from a new brake job) and spend money on other needed areas.

Can anyone give me any insight on the rear axle on these rigs? Mainly the brake portion of the axle. If in proper working order are they up to the task of stopping a 33-35" tire?

I have been think of swapping to a full floater with 80 series disc brakes. But if the stock axle is fine I will leave well enough alone (aside from a new brake job) and spend money on other needed areas.

normally, i would've said no, but i've been proved wrong. treeroot recently put an 80 series booster on with the stock master on his 40 with disc front/drum rear and 37s and he locks them up like crazy.

Well I guess thats good. ;) Anyone know off hand if toyota still produces the wheel cylinders and brake pads for the rear axle. Ill do some digging if no one knows off hand.

Well I guess thats good. ;) Anyone know off hand if toyota still produces the wheel cylinders and brake pads for the rear axle. Ill do some digging if no one knows off hand.

I priced them last month $127 per cylinder it will set you back $500

Do you recall if that was Cdan prices off of mud or at a local Toyota dealership?

Last edited:
CCOT sells a wheel cylinder set too. No complaints from me.

Do you recall if that was Cdan prices off of mud or at a local Toyota dealership?

Toyota Dealership. I bead blasted mine than bought kits at Napa for $8 each. They seem to work great. Check Cruiser Corps online, they had good prices on new ones. Good luck

CCOT sells a wheel cylinder set too. No complaints from me.

IIRC the rear cylinders are different on the 55 and the CCOT stuff won't work? Has anyone used these on the rear of a 55? Needing to replace my rears as well :frown:

Tucker

BTW: Looks like $OR has the 55 cylinders for ~$45 ea (081-02I-LRF/081-02I-LRR/081-02I-RRF/081-02I-RRR)

Last edited:
New goodies for the FJ55.

Overall Width (in): 24.000 in.
Overall Height (in): 19.000 in.
Overall Thickness (in): 2.500 in.

Aluminum Race Radiators SUM-380319

Just got here tonight:bounce:
securedownload.jpeg

Got the intake and the carb ready to go back in. I also pulled the fenders in order to pull the core support. Surprised to see that it is spot welded to the fender skirts. Won't make rust repair any easier. Ahh well that's it for now.

Till then...
~Al

image-1152600969.jpg

image-3435263147.jpg

image-473945359.jpg

IIRC the rear cylinders are different on the 55 and the CCOT stuff won't work?

Yes. 55 rear cylinders are different from 40 (bigger). Not that I would ever use CCOT brake stuff...
I used the Napa rebuild kits with excellent results.

Nothing much new on the cruiser ( waiting on parts). Also working on remodeling my house ( time vampire ) but I did get the go ahead to paint the house factory spec fj55 colors... lol should be funny.

Gathering tools for the FJ55... Air compressor, desiccant system, devilbliss guns, filters hoses, wire etc etc. It sure adds up fast. Excited to start laying some paint.:bounce:

IMG_5378.jpg

image-848715874.jpg

Today started a 9 day haul to get the 55 on the road.

Today. Disassembly ;)

image-848715874.jpg

Some of the seals looked pretty bad, thermostat appeared clogged (it was), cleaning up all the gasket surfaces.

Hope to start bolting up the intake/exhaust/carb tomorrow. Maybe work on fixing the suspension from the accident.

Edit: man that cruiser looks rough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom