Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The sliders came with grade 10.9 hardware, good stuff. I like that even with my -10mm offset wheels the kick out still protrudes past the wheel/tire. Grinding on the KDSS line skid plate to make clearance for the slider plate and hardware kinda sucked but it isn't noticeable after you clean up the edge and hit it with some paint.

R024ZWb.jpg

Y9ZfJl1.jpg

lKlS8wq.jpg

I finally buttoned up the puddle light wiring. Luckily I kept the push tabs on the harness and they came in handy to help secure the wiring up and out of the way.

J9tdz4P.jpg

I tried my damnedest to make the 285/70/17 fit in the factory spare location and even with removing the lower plastic from the rear bumper and the hitch along with dropping the air pressure to 5 psi it was still too big. It's possible that if you hit a few spots with a grinder you could maybe make it fit, but I think you'd still contact the sway bar.

So with all of that said, it's time to figure out another way to carry the spare. A rear bumper with a swing out, the JW Off-road rear door mount or a mount inside of the cargo area. So many options and so many cons lol.

I tried my damnedest to make the 285/70/17 fit in the factory spare location and even with removing the lower plastic from the rear bumper and the hitch along with dropping the air pressure to 5 psi it was still too big. It's possible that if you hit a few spots with a grinder you could maybe make it fit, but I think you'd still contact the sway bar.

So with all of that said, it's time to figure out another way to carry the spare. A rear bumper with a swing out, the JW Off-road rear door mount or a mount inside of the cargo area. So many options and so many cons lol.

I feel you there. I have the same issue. Don’t want to drill into my rear door and I’d rather do modifications to the rear bumper cover since it can be easily replace. Seen where some people have done swing outs with cutting and mounting to the side of the bumper. Full bumper with swing outs are so darn expensive. May have to bite the bullet, I just didn’t want to do it so soon.

I feel you there. I have the same issue. Don’t want to drill into my rear door and I’d rather do modifications to the rear bumper cover since it can be easily replace. Seen where some people have done swing outs with cutting and mounting to the side of the bumper. Full bumper with swing outs are so darn expensive. May have to bite the bullet, I just didn’t want to do it so soon.

I had the same issue. Wanted a full size spare, but it wouldn't fit underneath and I didn't want it inside. A rear bumper would be great, but it's big, heavy and expensive, and more than I want to do. I bought a Rigd tire carrier and it has been perfect. It holds the tire, and on my last trip it carried some emergency fuel. Eventually I would like the Frontrunner table for it. Best past is if you're just staying in town and don't want the swingout on there, you just pull it back off.
87384698_10158073830204494_3017588187594752_o.jpg
89368333_10158116446244494_5579670251357863936_o.jpg

I had the same issue. Wanted a full size spare, but it wouldn't fit underneath and I didn't want it inside. A rear bumper would be great, but it's big, heavy and expensive, and more than I want to do. I bought a Rigd tire carrier and it has been perfect. It holds the tire, and on my last trip it carried some emergency fuel. Eventually I would like the Frontrunner table for it. Best past is if you're just staying in town and don't want the swingout on there, you just pull it back off.
87384698_10158073830204494_3017588187594752_o.jpg
89368333_10158116446244494_5579670251357863936_o.jpg

While those are well built and handy for some, it's just not my cup of tea. The tire sits too far out, the hitch reduces your break over and it wouldn't work well in conjunction with my hitch carrier for the dirt bikes. I don't like the idea of a spare taking up space inside of the cabin, but if I put it on an easily removable carrier tied into the plate system then I could easily remove it when not needed around town. No matter which direction you go you're going to be making a concession in one way or another.

I wouldn't be opposed to a nice bumper tire carrier combo if there were anything currently on the market that I thought was well built and complimented the lines and look of the truck. Right now, if forced to buy something I'd lean towards the Kaymar for a one and done option but I do somewhat like the look of the Coastal Off-Road DIY kit but the more I look at it the less appealing it becomes. This is certainly one of the struggles of owning a GX, the aftermarket isn't there yet IMHO.

Last edited:
Just thinking out of the box concerning a place to mount your spare, how about on the roof?
If you have a good quality roof rack and no roof top tent, that may be a very viable option!
It's easy to fabricate a nice "V" handle with an ACME thread screw-down. I did this with my first overland vehicle (an F350 CrewCab).
This would solve a plethora of issues.
The only down side is it does increase the height of your CG (center of gravity) a wee bit, but as long as you're not into extreme off roading/off camber/steep/etc. driving you should be fine!

Local SoCal guy is developing one.
View attachment 2266243

When I can find time, I plan on a 3rd row delete and fabricating up a vertical tire holder in the cargo area...but shy of that working out, Ronins setup is something I considered strongly. Saw that the 80 series guys had some DIY kits for doing the same sorta thing: a rear tire carrier without a full steel bumper...and I dig it. If interior cargo space was a bigger concern for me, I’d 100% go for it once he’s into full production.

Yea I have seen the Ronin idea and it could be a viable option along with his rear hack bar setup but I am just not sure that is what I want.

If I were to make a spare carrier for the cargo area it would be something along the lines of this, perhaps with less of a cage. I'd likely mount it to some quick release L-Track so that it could be removed quickly by pulling a few pins.

aFICqgC.jpg

Nothing better than smelling your spare all the time.

I have a Kaymar on order with @wardharris

My second choice would be the JW Off-road carrier

I couldn't handle all of the low hanging plastic any longer and with more guys cutting it off it gave me the drive and desire to get out and cut mine too. Like I did with the rocker panel trim for the sliders, I used a box blade for my initial cut. I then cleaned up the edge with a Dremel sanding bit and then finished it up with a sanding block.

There are lots of clips that have to come off in order to remove that lower valence and then the multiple bracket supports and finally the rivets holing the brackets to the actual crash bar. In the end I think it came out pretty good for free-hand and it makes the truck look a little taller now that it isn't dragging it's chin around everywhere lol. I'll likely trim up the rear to match in the coming days. This will keep me happy until I can get a proper bumper.

lS7r6su.jpg

wuWbYqp.jpg

LkguZ0A.jpg

ykhXyIU.jpg

gg34EGY.jpg

that looks good, you might as well chop the rear now too

I went out to chop the rear earlier and now I am second guessing it. The bottom fender piece has a brace that gives the entire side rigidity and if I cut that off without something for it to rest against like a bumper, I fear it'll flop around and flex too easily. I need to investigate this further and possibly talk with those who have gone this route and see what they have to say.

*edit- I spoke with another member who has done the rear cut and he assured me that there is still decent rigidity in the fender once trimmed so I am going to give it a go this weekend. I think I am initially going to trim less off than I prefer in order to avoid removing braces and relocating sensor harness's and if I don't like the look I can always trim off more later, after all it's easier to take more off than it is the other way around lol.

Last edited:
Just a little off the bottom.

2SVpCrd.jpg

UrsDsEz.jpg

g2kMmkI.jpg

vb6nuG2.jpg

Quite a transformation! Have to admit, it really doesn't look that bad!

Have you thought about using a piece of door molding to finish off that edge?
Great job...

Nah, the line is clean and the paint cut is clean, no need for it. Unless I start to have the paint crack or separate then I won't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom